Opinion Non-Crows AFL 5: Save Ken

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly what I was thinking. I suppose it's because he's elite up forward and lycett is already an elite ruckman.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk
Maybe Champion data got it wrong saying CKarl Amon is Port's only elite player. They obviously didn't know Charlie was an elite ruckman.

Last edited:

Wowee. That's a bit of a shocker. Can't just pick it up and walk over. Can only assume the ump thought it was already over which is also pretty bad.

Surely as a player you just hang back half a step on that.

Infuriating.

The umpiring of all games in general is infuriating.

That you sit there hoping the umpires do the right thing, fearful you’ll be on the end of yet another appalling decision, or hoping the luck goes your way when both opponents are holding each other equally, for example, indicates how far off the rails the standard of umpiring and indeed the rules, are.

Umpiring can, does, and will continue to ruin games.

Wowee. That's a bit of a shocker. Can't just pick it up and walk over. Can only assume the ump thought it was already over which is also pretty bad.

Surely as a player you just hang back half a step on that.

I thought they tweaked that rule back so if the player was within 9m of the goal they could just knock it through, the "under pressure " component was removed?

He sort of gathered/pick it up right on the line so he didn't even take one step with it after he picked it up, maybe thats why he wasn't pinged for "just walking it over"

Probably wrong as the commentators still bang on about the pressure part.

I thought they tweaked that rule back so if the player was within 9m of the goal they could just knock it through, the "under pressure " component was removed?

He sort of gathered/pick it up right on the line so he didn't even take one step with it after he picked it up, maybe thats why he wasn't pinged for "just walking it over"

Probably wrong as the commentators still bang on about the pressure part.
I'm not actually sure what the problem with the deliberate rushing it through part is. You already get penalised with a point to the other team, maybe make it 2 points which would reduce the likelihood of it, but is it really the biggest issue in the game?

I think players diving, dropping their knees and throwing their heads back is a bigger issue in terms of the look of the game.

I'm not actually sure what the problem with the deliberate rushing it through part is. You already get penalised with a point to the other team, maybe make it 2 points which would reduce the likelihood of it, but is it really the biggest issue in the game?

I think players diving, dropping their knees and throwing their heads back is a bigger issue in terms of the look of the game.
I think the rule was brought in as a knee jerk reaction to Hawthorn's tactics in the 2008 grand final

I believe the rule is that
  • If it's outside 9m, you can't do it at all. Pressure is not an excuse.
  • If it's inside 9m, you can do it, but only if "under pressure"
You don't get a free pass for being inside 9m.
It was the kind of move that players make on the boundary line all the time - gather ball right on / near the line, keep running, whoops, went out of play, no deliberate free. Except he was pretty much standing still, the ball had stopped on the line, and he had every opportunity to turn around and move forward, it's not like there was momentum pushing him & the ball towards the line.

I was inclined to give the umpires a pass because it was so "line ball" but... I guess you've got to see the replay to see how obvious it was. In real time, I guess the umpire's going "yeah nah, not paying that". It would almost be one of those "guesses" that we hate umpires making.

Edit: Here is the rule:

18.11 DELIBERATE RUSHED BEHINDS
18.11.1 Spirit and Intention Players shall be encouraged to keep the football in play.
18.11.2 Free Kicks - Deliberate Rushed Behinds A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player from the Defending Team who intentionally Kicks, Handballs or forces the football over the Attacking Team’s Goal Line or Behind Line or onto one of the Attacking Team’s Goal Posts, and the Player:
(a) is greater than nine metres from the Goal Line or Behind Line;
(b) is not under immediate physical pressure;
(c) has had time and space to dispose of the football; or
(d) from a Ruck contest, hits the football over the Goal Line or Behind Line on the full.

- I think there should be an "or" after each of the points a, b, and c.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the rule was brought in as a knee jerk reaction to Hawthorn's tactics in the 2008 grand final
I've always felt the rushed behind is so easy to fix.

Just judge the goal line as any boundary. No need for a rule change even. Just inform the clubs the umpires are officiating deliberate out of bounds as "any boundary other than your own attacking goals and points line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back