Autopsy 2-men down on the bench Brions spank Dogs 108-67

Remove this Banner Ad

Usual stuff in the press conference about our poor execution going forward and poor goal kicking, spoken as though being poor in those areas was an anomaly rather than the same issues the team has had for years on end. Facing the prospect of playing in a grand final and missing finals the next year yet again. Good teams and good clubs are consistent. If you take the 2016 flag out of the equation and look simply at ladder finishes, there’s been very little growth in this team. No top 4 finishes. You’d think we’d have top level assistants knocking down the door but instead we end up with bargain basement no-names. I mean seriously, our forward line is being coached by a bloke who has never coached before and kicked bugger all goals in his career. The list is crying out for well defined players who then actually play in their positions of strength. That way me might have natural forwards instead of needing to play mids and flankers up there at times. Other clubs change and adapt, we seem to rock up with the same every season and expect something different. Sorry about the rant but the club feels like when you’ve heard a song so many tines you just cannot listen to it anymore. Every week we scratch our heads about selection, tactics that don’t work, more injuries to key players, kicking 2.15 in a quarter (slight exaggeration I know!), defenders getting consistently beaten one-on-one and the ease with which teams often move the ball and score. Sure we do win games and have some moments that are great to watch but everything needs to come together for that to occur and we seldom do that for four quarters. May seem like this is all coming from a place of anger and frustration but it’s actually coming from a pace of love. Love for my club and wanting it to be better than it is for all of us.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Really hope we persist with this set up and let JUH and Bedendo develop.

Think this year is done for so we may as well develop players for future seasons.

We never got going at all this year with injury troubles from the start

Did we do this much in this game? Genuine question. I noticed Gardner was loose a fair bit, but he failed to have a positive impact. In fact, he completely botched an intercept mark which resulted in a goal.
Pretty sure we did it a fair bit, it tends to be our plan A and then if we are getting intercepted against too much we tend to even the numbers up. I am just not sure why when we have invested so heavily in the midfield they should be good enough to beat their opponent but it’s a major part of our game plan to do it

Early in the game a Brisbane player ran in front of a Dogs player about to take a kick.
The umpires called play on when it should have been 50 and a shot from 20 out.
I replayed it to make sure I wasn't dreaming.
The TV copped quite a spray and my wife left the room.
Yep and I thought front on tackles are a free kick, nope.

I noticed Gill was there watching, and not looking too impressed.

Brisbane got 7 free kicks in a row, when the game was in the balance, even Leigh Matthews was commentating on them getting the rub of the green and the home town umpiring.

We were crap, too many of our best players out and I expected us to lose, but even with our VFL players in, if we had converted those gettable goals we would have challenged.

But seriously if Brisbane think they are winning a premiership they are dreaming they were so beatable by any half decent team, teams not in the 8 would have beaten them last night.

Hats off to Anthony Scott for battling it out with Charlie Cameron but he was always going to get a hiding. It was either extreme optimism or arrogance to think that would work out. Charlie is a class act and was THE key difference when they were getting their run on.

However as others have said (and I said earlier in the week) Scott is not an accomplished defender. He might become one some day but he needs to learn that craft in the VFL if that's going to happen, not against an AA forward who has different physical attributes (like speed and agility) not to mention smarts.

To Scott's credit he had a couple of good one-on-one wins against Cameron late in the game but the damage had been done by then.

I wouldn't be rushing to drop Scott though. He is far from the first defender to have been pantsed by Cameron. Scott has been very serviceable this year and is among the best of our much-maligned "bottom six". Instead I'd be rushing to put him back on the wing or HFF.
Hear hear. He’s not a bloody defender! Battled manfully but is way more comfortable and effective as a wing-forward. It just shows how depleted and inadequate our defensive stocks are that we had no one else capable of playing on Cameron.

Can anyone here name a good defender that Beveridge has developed in his entire time with the Dogs? He brings in half good defenders from other teams. As evidence by tonight Dale is a pretty horrible defender and seems to believe that his entire existence is to get kicks. 2 or 3 years ago Williams looked like he would be very good, but has gone backwards. There would not be another coach in the comp that has struggled so much to develop one area of the ground. Hopefully Ed Richards will become that player.

Amazing at developing ball winning midfielders, but pretty terrible developing and creating great one on one defenders. Pretty sure that is the problem right there.

I’ve mentioned it before but I honestly wonder if Keath is just plain knackered from becoming a new Dad? I’m now 20 months into it and still knackered. Knocks some people around more than others and that can include cognition and the ability to perform at your best. Just a theory…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Liam Picken, when he had 3 young babies and toddlers, used to sleep in a different part of the house the night before game day or whenever he needed extra rest. The kids were kept away. You can’t do everything.

At least after a poor performance forward last night Bev has the excuse to revert to his preferred structure next week, out Marra and Schache for Garcia & McNeil

So here's an idea. Get fewer i50s and we win.

Right?

Ha Ha Dogwatch very funny but in some ways this correct. Simple answer and the opposition show us everytime we lose.

The point is you can less inside inside 50's but it is the quality of the entries example.

60 inside 50's 70% favour the defender or are kicked to where our forwards are out numbered

50 inside 50's 70% kicked to assist our forwards

I think I know which stat I would prefer.

To follow up on this, watch how teams like Melbourne and Freo defend - you think they give a s**t if you hit a couple of loose 20m targets at half back. Nope. They’re set up to defend the defensive 50. They focus on setting up behind the ball, which would make sense for us to do to considering all our good ball movement comes from half back in handball chains, and our defence sucks one on one.

Stop the forward press, it does not suit our game one bit. Set up the backline deep so they can’t go over the back and we always have numbers to help out in the contest, then bring it to ground - back our gun mids to win the contest and then slingshot from half back with our run and carry - and then hit up our athletic leading targets who Naughton aside can’t win a one on one

What good does locking the ball into the forward half do when literally all our scoring opportunities come from quick ball movement and handball chains off half back? We do not have the personnel to score from repeat entries, we only score from quick ball movement, so why focus on repeat entries for nothing and allow ourselves to get cut up the other way?

Our defensive and offensive systems go completely against each other.

Push defence super aggressively high, but concede space to the bloke with the ball? What? How does that make sense?

Rely on midfield dominance to the extent of needing to push an extra to the stoppage, but concede the ruck?

Main forward entry method is deep long entries, but allow a spare defender at all times to cut them off?

There’s zero cohesion to what we’re trying to do, and that starts at the top

I’ve always been in the camp that Bevo is obviously a great coach, he’s just stubborn with team selection and game plan and needs good senior assistants or at least to be challenged more from within the footy department.

I’m now leaning more towards the group that think a fresh outlook might be better. The team are having to overcome too much out there with sub-standard players being picked and obvious tactical/game plan issues.

If next year goes similarly to this I think that should be it. By his own admission a decade at the same club as senior coach is likely enough, and the stats would tell you that coaches don’t win flags from that point onwards.

Early in the game a Brisbane player ran in front of a Dogs player about to take a kick.
The umpires called play on when it should have been 50 and a shot from 20 out.
I replayed it to make sure I wasn't dreaming.
The TV copped quite a spray and my wife left the room.
I said the same thing, then wondered if the ump got confused with the rule change this week. Between that and the rushed behind under no pressure there are two howlers that cost us possible goals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another season failing to make the finals after GF appearances is not an acceptable standard IMO. Bevo's stubborness and refusal to make necessary adjustments to setup/tactics sees the same game plan week after week getting picked apart by opposition teams.

And a few so called A grade players simply not providing a consistent output

Just had a read of the stats. It's not adding up that we were so comprehensively beaten. Need to invest heavily in defence over the next few drafts or change the way we set up because we can't just expect the midfield to carry us week in week out.

Something has to give. The stats read like Mcartney era games.

So, if you hold out your arms to an umpire it’s a penalty, but push an opponent into an umpire and fell the umpire it’s okay on? Sounds about right for the AFL.

I found it infuriating that the commentators glossed over this incident because apparently Hipwood clearly didn’t mean it. Yeah, sure. That’s a farcical defence. Like ‘Yes umpire, I tackled him around the throat but I didn’t mean it.’ ‘Okay, play on!’

We were abysmal last night, and ultimately lost that game on our own terms. But the umpires were as shocking as we were. It was a very poorly officiated game. Minor technical infringements were being paid randomly, and a lot of other more obvious infringements were let go. The umpire’s review will make for some uncomfortable viewing during the week.

l
I said the same thing, then wondered if the ump got confused with the rule change this week. Between that and the rushed behind under no pressure there are two howlers that cost us possible goals
Yes the rushed behind with no pressure was a genuine howler. But, you know ... AFL.

Theory. I think I know the cause of our shocking set shot kicking. After hours of analysis and Mythbusters testing of different hypothesis here is the findings

Hypothesis 1 Does The horizontal bands cause the ball go left or right on set shots.
Hypothesis 2 If the jumpers have vertical stripes or no bands will the ball would go straight on set shots.

The testing was conducted at training no banded jumpers either plain or vertical and most of the kicks go straight through the big sticks.

Then this was changed to game day wearing jumpers with horizontal bands and most set shots went through the points or OOB.

Conclusion When beautiful kicks like JUH and The Bont pull on a bulldogs jumper with horizontal bands it cause the ball to move off the the vertical line on set shots.

Myths proven LOL

Calmed down now.

No excuses - despite the outs this was still a poor game by us and a winnable opportunity.

Positives:

• we did comfortably win the middle and the forward entries
  • best game so far by Jamarra. He has been criticised for his tank but right up till the final siren he was taking long leads and clunking them and then good field kicking
  • McStay and Daniher kept relatively quiet (though the latter more about bad kicking)
  • Bedendo had an OK first game - he was not a contributor but did a few things and showed some great skills and speed - has the goods and now needs to get games into him
  • Macrae and Libba still performed
  • Crozier was on Zac Bailey and seemed to do OK (I am not sure about this more bout influence)
  • Shocking to drop a sitter and allow a goal but otherwise Gardner was not towelled up by Hipwood and I still see improvement (look with Cordy not progressing at this stage he is all we have got and doing ok for this many games. With both Keath and TOB struggling this exposes his lack of development but unlike the others he is showing little improvements each week.
  • Sweet was not terrible - I though he did Ok as was not the reason for the poor performance. He is not English but is benefits from the games.
  • Hunter back is good - we forget his ability - he did not have a good game but will be better for it
  • Add García, Maclean, Richards and English and we win may well win that game (maybe). A few weeks later we get Bailey Smith and Duryea, Bruce and Daniel - that is a completely different team.

Negatives:
  • the main issue for me was poor execution under pressure - while McComb and Trelor probably the worst at handing it over with silly hand passes. Can’t remember a game with that many stolen hand passes cause by poor disposal - Trelor and his stupid over the head stuff - Bailey Smith used to do this too and has mostly taken it out of his game and now backs himself by hand balling forward and chasing it down under pressure rather than panicking and blind hand passing. Also Dunkley and co just bombed the ball when Brisbane rushed them - with our talls all going to where the kicks should have gone. Problem was we didn’t adjust
  • our pressure was poor until the last quarter when they slowed down - without heat we won’t beat anyone.
  • the Jack Russell’s- West, JJ and Weightman dropped off a cliff. West tried at least and the kicks in were sprayed in the air which suited Andrews and not smalls
  • I don’t blame Scott at all. Charlie is the best small forward in the game and a nightmare to play on - I think we are kidding ourselves that he can be given that many isolated one on one’s and not kick at least 3.
  • The problem was down the ground lack of pressure and no intercept marking from us. Could see that they wanted to slow us down but then would go in fast - they achieved both. But while TOB was brought in to be that interceptor he did not do this once - preferring to chase McStay around. Williams used to also contribute but was also following McArthy. This is about maturity and reading the play - Duryea was missed but Crozier has been doing this in the VFL but didn’t leave his player.
  • I don’t like potting players but McComb and Schache will take a while to recover from that. Schache should be given another go - part of the problem is how quickly he is dropped and we need to show him he can recover.
  • we really didn’t have anyone for we could bring in who is knocking on the door. Would have played García over McComb but can see why they wanted to give him another week (I wonder if he plays today)
  • Keath is struggling- clearly good enough but a bit off.

Another season failing to make the finals after GF appearances is not an acceptable standard IMO. Bevo's stubborness and refusal to make necessary adjustments to setup/tactics sees the same game plan week after week getting picked apart by opposition teams.

And a few so called A grade players simply not providing a consistent output
If we fail to make finals, we really need to have a review of the footy dept this off season. Need to do it now ahead of Beveridges last year of his contract

Few regulars used last nights game to pot Sweet, don’t think he was bad at all - 8 score involvements and 2 GAs from his 11 touches and was competitive in the ruck against a big seasoned lump of a bloke. McinErny definitely had some very effective hit outs to advantage though but did a lot of his damage on Schache.

We’ve been towelled up in the ruck a LOT worse than we were last night over the past few years, hell we’ve been towelled up worse this year.

I think we are now suffering from being published as the team with the best free kick differential and being head duckers. It is the only reason Jacko did not get a free kick when he got his head pulled off, Cody will get very few frees in future and we deserved 3 to 4 frees last night for incorrect disposal.

Plus the deliberate push into the umpire and rush point howler.

Having said that we got beaten by a better team at their home ground and I hope Bailey is hurting for his brain fades and learns from it by golly we missed his run and carry last night and it may be the difference in the swans game.

There was an instance tonight where Daniher had the ball on the boundary 55m out and the player backed off instead of pinning him in which allowed him to run to 50.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeap, I looked at that and shook my head, even juniors wouldn't do this. This is the problem with the back off 5 sh*t. Its o.k deep in our forward 50 as you can try and cut of the next ball. But why on earth would you back off in the middle of the ground or any time forward of the centre. The stats are backing it up, side are cutting our defence to pieces. Do something about it coaches. If the best teams in the comp aren't doing it, that's enough for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back