Ryan Gardner is a good footballer - post your apologies here

Remove this Banner Ad

All this discussion of Gardner as our second best KPD had me thinking …

How good would Naughton be as a defender right now?

Not suggesting we re-visit the “defender or forward?” Thread. He’s doing very nicely up forward and in the top 5-10 KPFs right now - that is something we haven’t had for quite a while.

Just saying he’d be exactly what we need in defence. Speed, height, agility, leap, intercept marking, second efforts, tackling, reading of the game, etc.

Anybody here got a backyard cloning lab?

I have no doubt he'd be an AA defender

intercept marks ? tackles? marks? hardball gets? handballs(that are not to oppo)?kicks(that are not to oppo) oh and missed tackles

intercept marks ? tackles? marks? hardball gets? handballs(that are not to oppo)?kicks(that are not to oppo) oh and missed tackles

He's bot been that bad this year at all. One of our most improved to be honest.

He should never had been on Hawkins. That's a coaching error.

We can afford to play Gardner as a spoiling defender despite his other limitations,

but not alongside TOB and an out of form Keith,
No team can afford to play a spoiling defender in today's AFL, and to think so has been foolhardy!

With Caleb Daniel and Bailey Dale back there to clean up rebounds we are about as good as it gets but not even we can afford such a luxury.

ok im done with saying stuff about gardner ...before i go though....... go into ctons website and see lewie youngs stats ....this is why im pissed

Some of you campaigners need to give your heads a wobble.

He’s only played 36 games and gets asked to fill a very hard position with little senior support, Keath has age but is also relatively inexperienced for his background.

It would be different if our recruiting wasn’t crap with visible gaps in it, and if we could have kept someone like Moz around as a mentor for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Midfield pressure does him no favours (or the rest of our defence)

In addition to this what type of coaching is he getting on how to play his position. Things like position of his body in pack situations and in one on one situations , what to be doing to your opposition before the ball arrives, etc etc

Midfield pressure does him no favours (or the rest of our defence)

What do you mean 'does him no favours'? His game is almost totally reliant on our midfield pressure minimising his exposure, because his record is very poor in 1 on 1 contests. Tall, meduim and even shortish players have regularly beaten him in the air.

What value does a defender who can't really defend actually bring to the team? It's not as if he is a dangerous source of rebound attack, ala Dale or Daniel?

At preset Ryan punches the ball away at almost every opportunity rather than marking it, or even allowing his team mates to mark it, and too often the opposition ends up scoring anyway.

Does that include all the spoils of team mates, running into them, tripping over his own feet...or was it supposed to be soils...both his undies and mine everytime he goes near it.

What was with laying down and having a sleep in the goal square on top of the ball last night?

The attempted mark last night where he spilled it and virtually handed it to Charlie Cameron really sums up Gardner to me. Yes, I've never played the game at the higher level so I'm throwing fruit at a guy that has achieved so much more than I ever will.... but, jesus christ he is so frustrating to watch.
As someone else mentioned a few posts ago.... If I was an AFL forward I would mark down the day I'd be playing the Bulldogs because it is the best chance to have a day out . We are just so incompetent and inept down back

What do you mean 'does him no favours'? His game is almost totally reliant on our midfield pressure minimising his exposure, because his record is very poor in 1 on 1 contests. Tall, meduim and even shortish players have regularly beaten him in the air.

What value does a defender who can't really defend actually bring to the team? It's not as if he is a dangerous source of rebound attack, ala Dale or Daniel?

At preset Ryan punches the ball away at almost every opportunity rather than marking it, or even allowing his team mates to mark it, and too often the opposition ends up scoring anyway.
It's a pretty self explanatory statement isn't it?

Our midfield often puts no pressure on opposing players which allows them quick ball movement from their d50 while also delivering to their forwards cleanly. This means he's often not only one out, but also allows his forward an advantageous position to receive. Same applies to the rest of our defenders. This all in a defensive system that relies on help from team mates.

Took 6 marks and 5 intercept possessions this week. 9 marks and 9 intercept possessions last week. But don't let the truth get in the way of your narrative.

Our midfield often puts no pressure on opposing players which allows them quick ball movement from their d50 while also delivering to their forwards cleanly. This means he's often not only one out, but also allows his forward an advantageous position to receive. Same applies to the rest of our defenders. This all in a defensive system that relies on help from team mates.

Took 6 marks and 5 intercept possessions this week. 9 marks and 9 intercept possessions last week. But don't let the truth get in the way of your narrative.
We are 18th in the league for winning defensive 1 on 1s. Thats ultimately the only stat that matters

We are 18th in the league for winning defensive 1 on 1s. Thats ultimately the only stat that matters
I'd say we've been poor defensively 1v1 for many many years. however, our defensive scheme and system has been able to cover that deficiency with good results at times (2016 included). So yeah I disagree with that statement. If you want a stat that is the "ultimate one that matters", it's score against. We're somewhat off topic to Ryan Gardner now though.

5 intercepts might sound good unless you compare it with other players in the match, like Harris Andrews getting 11, hell even Anthony Scott was credited with 4.

How much positive impact did Ryan actually have in last night's match?
What does he really bring to the team? What can he be relied upon to deliver?

In my opinion he simply doesn't do enough to warrant his selection above a player like Cordy, or even Schache or TOB for that matter who are both superior marks and more versatile players than Ryan because they can go forward and kick goals if required. Cordy has copped an enormous amount of flack on this forum despite performing with a far superior record to Gardner, and yet he currently finds himself out of the side and out of favour.

What makes Ryan Gardner so special that he should continually be given games yet have so little expected of him in terms of performance?

Ryan has been shown an enormous amount of patience, in the hope that he will deliver something that has just never materialised under pressure.
Last night was a classic situation where we needed a defender to really standup and repel the Brisbane attack, did Ryan step up and fill this need? No.
Has he ever filled such a need for the team? No.
Is he capable of filling such a need at some point in the future? Unfortunately, the currently available evidence suggests not.

I'd say we've been poor defensively 1v1 for many many years. however, our defensive scheme and system has been able to cover that deficiency with good results at times (2016 included). So yeah I disagree with that statement. If you want a stat that is the "ultimate one that matters", it's score against. We're somewhat off topic to Ryan Gardner now though.
More meant we can try and look at th positives but if he consistently losses 1 on 1s, that’s the most important stat a key defender should be based on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back