Autopsy 2-men down on the bench Brions spank Dogs 108-67

Libbaaaa

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Worst part about the Hipwood push into the ump was that the other umpire on the wing was 20m away looking at it and missed it.

Worst part about the Hipwood push into the ump was that the other umpire on the wing was 20m away looking at it and missed it.

Other ump was

homer-brain.gif

Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Pretty sure we did it a fair bit, it tends to be our plan A and then if we are getting intercepted against too much we tend to even the numbers up. I am just not sure why when we have invested so heavily in the midfield they should be good enough to beat their opponent but it’s a major part of our game plan to do it

I think part of the reason why we do it is to get a cleaner stoppage so we can get it on the outside much easier rather then a hack kick. The idea is to handball out to one of our elite kickers and that's usually Daniel. Dale does it on occasions too and I noticed him playing that role towards the later part of the game. I don't think we did that much in this game though because we were getting the ball out to the outside with ease particularly in that 1st half. And I noticed Gardner loose quite a bit and I noticed Keath was sometimes loose also. Neither of them were able to impact.

Hobdog

Premiership Player
May 20, 2007
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Liam Picken, when he had 3 young babies and toddlers, used to sleep in a different part of the house the night before game day or whenever he needed extra rest. The kids were kept away. You can’t do everything.

Yeah it’s all about finding strategies that work for your individual circumstances (goes for all of us) but I know from my experience as a first time father that it just knocks the stuffing out of you and I think if an AFL player is going at even 97% of their usual level it can be really noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

puppaC

Debutant
Sep 6, 2020
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Let's be honest I knew we weren't going to win anything this year after round one. We played a Melbourne side who destroyed us in a Grand Final, spent the immediate moments after the game openly mocking us and the entire pre-season talking s**t about us. And then after all that build up, we got destroyed in the exact same manner as the GF. There wasn't even a decent push and shove. Just another horrendous capitulation and some handshaking after the game.

It's the same record. A bunch of good boys playing bruise free football. No leaders, nobody driving up standards and most seem content with the status quo.
Spot on about round 1 Vs dees. Just went through the motions and looked like they were content with losing by 20 something points when Melbourne embarrassed them then acted like pricks all off season.
I remember watching them thinking wow they look timid, like they don’t even care.

Oct 4, 2004
Essendon
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
MAN U/BROOKLYN NETS
Spot on about round 1 Vs dees. Just went through the motions and looked like they were content with losing by 20 something points when Melbourne embarrassed them then acted like pricks all off season.
I remember watching them thinking wow they look timid, like they don’t even care.

Early signs was a real concern and have shown they were well founded especially if you were going for some type of a revolution.

Bruise free in the way we attack the man. We play as if we're scared to hurt others.

There's obviously system issues that have been discussed thousands of times but we have no ruthlessness to our game. All the great sides have this.
And it's why we lead the FK differential

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Another season failing to make the finals after GF appearances is not an acceptable standard IMO. Bevo's stubborness and refusal to make necessary adjustments to setup/tactics sees the same game plan week after week getting picked apart by opposition teams.

And a few so called A grade players simply not providing a consistent output

But you know, as always the coach says 'we'll learn from it'...🙄

Just not sure when we (and just as, if not more importantly, the coach) will learn from it.

Maybe one day...when pigs start flying.

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Another season failing to make the finals after GF appearances is not an acceptable standard IMO. Bevo's stubborness and refusal to make necessary adjustments to setup/tactics sees the same game plan week after week getting picked apart by opposition teams.

And a few so called A grade players simply not providing a consistent output

Someone has to be accountable for it. Our defence is leakier than a rusted out tinnie sitting in the middle of Port Phillip Bay. In fact, I would have more confidence sitting in the tinnie than I do in our defence stopping easy goals.

The forwards need a kick up the arse as well. The lack of pressure inside our forward 50, week after week, is disgusting. Opposition teams just wander out without us laying a glove until it gets into their 50 - if it's a tactic, it's s*** so abandon it now. Only Weightman gives me any confidence at all that he'll actually apply any pressure and actually gives a stuff.

Our midfield. Stop with the overuse of handball. Please. Sometimes handball, handball, handball, especially backwards of centre gets us into more trouble rather than out of it. Also, if the transition isn't on, don't do it. Down the line is a pretty good option most of the time.

The coach. Swallow your ego and face up to the fact that at the bare minimum you need more tactical brains in the box. You won't like it, but tough, it needs to happen and the club comes first.

Also, stop playing favourites (picking some players despite their form and dropping others despite their form) and this has to be the last year we have such a s*** bottom six. Honestly, it's horrendous. If a player isn't up to it, they shouldn't get a game. You're not a miracle worker and you can't turn water into wine. Sometimes a VFL standard player is that and will always be that.

The Football Director. Start acting like one. Some big decisions need to be made about the list, coaches and direction of the club. Grow a set and make the tough calls. That's your job.

The President. Do you want the job or do you want to be AFL CEO? If you want to be AFL CEO, step aside and let someone else have the job. Someone who has the time needed.

SonOfScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2002
Bay 18 L3
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bruins, Ice, Aces
Let's be honest I knew we weren't going to win anything this year after round one. We played a Melbourne side who destroyed us in a Grand Final, spent the immediate moments after the game openly mocking us and the entire pre-season talking s**t about us. And then after all that build up, we got destroyed in the exact same manner as the GF. There wasn't even a decent push and shove. Just another horrendous capitulation and some handshaking after the game.

It's the same record. A bunch of good boys playing bruise free football. No leaders, nobody driving up standards and most seem content with the status quo.
Feel the same, though it was probably at R5 I conceded.

super frustrating given what we know about this squad. Our best is absolutely supreme, but our faults are catastrophic.

But you know, as always the coach says 'we'll learn from it'...🙄

Just not sure when we (and just as, if not more importantly, the coach) will learn from it.

Maybe one day...when pigs start flying.

Yeah, that excuse has worn thin on me

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm angry about this game. Maybe even furious. And if the players who played in it aren't, they should be.

Not only do I expect us to beat Sydney next week, I expect to thrash them. And if we win and don't thrash them, I'll be angry. if we don't win, I'll be furious.

I'm going to fluctuate between anger and fury all week in the lead up. And if we thrash them, I'll be moderately satisfied.

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I made this observation last year.

There is something about the psyche of this team in that you won't see the best of them until they have to win to survive. A real backs against the wall, nothing to lose, no way out, deep rooted collective psychological phenomenon. How valid that observation is has two games to run. We can lose next week and put ourselves in the position where we have to win every game till the end of the season, or thrash them and have one get out of jail card left.

Toss of the coin.

Back