Preview Round 16 - Bombers vs Swans - Saturday 02 Jul @ 1:45pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luck and good management by our recruiters has landed us a few elite field kicks.

Blakey, Gulden, Buddy, Campbell and J Mac would seem our top 5. Thoughts?
Some of those are certainly capable of elite kicking. But consistency comes into it.

Obviously these guys will take on more adventurous kicks than say Lloyd (definitely not living up to his career ave) or Hickey, and you can adjust a certain % for that, but here's our kicking efficiency ladder. I know someone will think they're explaining something new when they say that an "effective kick" can go to a contest, but look, there's plenty of times when that's the best option available (like the many, many times no-one can be arsed working themselves into a good spot to receive a kick in). If someone has low KE% then they aren't even doing that well (or they just miss shots at goal plenty). At the very least, this shows that maybe some we froth over have some more consistency to develop in their kicking game, rather than just the times we go wow.

1656656631552.png
1656656706718.png

Ladhams and Amartey didn't warrant another screenshot.

Last edited:

Yeah Paddy is top 5 for sure. Outstanding field kick.

haha... He is my first alternate! He is becoming more confident in taking on high degree of difficulty kicks that advantage the team. There is no doubt about his boot or his IQ in using it.

Just went to the open training. I know it's a muck around but boy Braeden Campbell's boot is amazing.
Took the nephews down, thought for a while they weren't going to let any of us in. Was interesting after the initial kicking warm up when they went to do the stretching that a group including Heeney and some of the other younger players seemed to stretch up seperate from the others. Was trying to spot if they were a particular group or if we've gone all Mean Girls and have the plastics that do their own thing.

Took the nephews down, thought for a while they weren't going to let any of us in. Was interesting after the initial kicking warm up when they went to do the stretching that a group including Heeney and some of the other younger players seemed to stretch up seperate from the others. Was trying to spot if they were a particular group or if we've gone all Mean Girls and have the plastics that do their own thing.
Hope your nephews got some autographs or perhaps I should say selfies?

Luck and good management by our recruiters has landed us a few elite field kicks.

Blakey, Gulden, Buddy, Campbell and J Mac would seem our top 5. Thoughts?

thoughts ? I like bacon and peanut butter together

Hope your nephews got some autographs or perhaps I should say selfies?
Some autographs and some distant photos sort of with the players. Unfortunately couldn't get right to the fence. Only 7 and 5, so not quite ready for selfies yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is nothing wrong with depth every club needs it. Clarke is depth he played a good game but he’s not ahead of JMac and Campbell played well too. Was always a tough call they made the correct one going forward
Where did I say there was anything wrong with depth ?
Here is another question for you.

Do you ever reply to a post without talking off the top of your head after either failing to read it properly, grasping the football context of it or just comprehending at all ? It would be easy to put you on ignore but your pearls of wisdom are side splitting. So Do us all a favour and keep saying the first thing that comes into your head. I will let Horse know you have rubber stamped their selection decision and agreed it was the best decision going forward.😴

Had a look at the Bombers Board and they have got into the sangathon. Has seemed to cheer them up no end.
All cause I posted a toastie as a nice lunch tomorrow before the game...

I dare someone attending to attend the cafe and purchase and post pic.
Black n gold.
On Lennox. Four hundred metres from Swan.

Last edited:
Every football fan has been conditioned to expect a certain kind of commentary voice (whether it be play by play or colour) - which is generally a low, male voice. Makes sense, that’s basically all there has been in the commentary box for all of footy history. It’s the same with other sports - I still do a double take any time it’s not some posh English bloke commentating the soccer.

Anyone that doesn’t fit into that mould is automatically a bit confronting. I don’t think it means they aren’t a good commentator or don’t have the voice for it - it’s just different and not what we’ve all grown up with. I guarantee you that 7-15 year olds watching footy for the first time on tv aren’t put off by Daisy Pearce or anyone else that doesn’t fit the mould because they don’t have years of watching footy coverage inculcated into their brains. Note, I doubt Daisy Pearce as a boundary rider would draw 5% of the critique she gets because women on the boundary is nothing new.

Personally I think it’s up to us to adjust and change as opposed to resisting any changes to the types of commentators we have. Lack of diversity in footy media is a disgrace, and the commentary box is definitely part of it.
Years ago we had Jumbo Sharland, Harry Beitzel, Jack Dyer, Peter McKenna, Jim Main, Mike Williamson, Dick Mason, Doug Heyward, Peter Landy, Lou Richards, Bob Davis. Most of the early TV commentators were not smooth voiced like Landy or Commetti. They were gravelly voiced, fast witted and so quick with a quip. I once watched a match at the Lake Oval and the first words out of Doug Heyward's mouth was that the oval had now married the lake and both very happy, the players not so happy. There was a corner of the Lake Oval that was cemented in. Every time the ball went there it would float on about a metre of water. The players literally had to go swimming to get the ball. At one stage Jumbo Sharland yelled out and their off, so and so is doing the breast stroke while so and so seems to be stuck in the backstroke. They kept us mesmerized for the whole match, which was an absolute dog. It was the worst match of the year. Almost no scoring at all. But these blokes were sensational.

Had a look at the Bombers Board and they have got into the sangathon. Has seemed to cheer them up no end.

It's all we have.

Doctor Who Reaction GIF

A whole website devoted to toasties - albeit I’m unsure as to this whole “Jaffle” naming convention.
I have our jaffle iron (circular) from the 1950's.
eg.

A whole website devoted to toasties - albeit I’m unsure as to this whole “Jaffle” naming convention.
Jaffles.. now we're talking! When you dont have access to a fancy pants cafe, or a roadside truck stop, Jaffles are the go
jaffle makers are the most important part of any camp kitchen. (square is better than round - IMO)
cheese and tomato is a standard, but come with an M rating. Little kids burn the crappa out their mouths on the tomato.
bake beans or tin spaghetti are the G rated jaffle
an egg jaffle is awesome to eat on a cold winters morn in front of last nights fire thats been re-built
Last camp trip we made stewed apple and cinnamon jaffles for desert. Kids thought I was the best dad ever! (most of them weren't even my kids!)

Kids reckon.. "Swans will win by 100", and "Parker will smash 'em". (I reckon they're just buttering me up for another camp trip - and jaffles)

While I obviously don’t want us to lose, this Board will be an amazing sight if we screw this game up. The meltdown will be of such epic proportions that we’ll be referring to it for years to come ;).

Campbell is not a small pressure forward. He played his best at juniors as a HF with an elite boot, hitting team mates in F50 and blasting long range goals. Hope that's where he is played.

Re. small pressure forward (who doesn't necessarily need to be a direct threat in front of goal - Sam Wicks), when did this become a specific role anyway. I'd argue teams like Lions and Dees just play their most threatening in front of goal forward line and get them all to do their job without the ball, helped out by a hard working midfield. Pre Wicks, who actually did this role for us anyway? It's almost like it was created to justify the continual selection of guys like Wicks and Bell.
Completely agree. Create pressure by having 6 dangerous forwards the opposition needs to manage, and instil an expectation that all forwards must create defensive pressure when we lose the ball.

No reason why Campbell and others cannot be expected to chase or tackle as hard as Wicks or Ronke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back