Port or Crows, who's been more successful in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

White Dogg

Senior List
Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Hearing Leigh Matthews hailing Geelong as the most successful club of the 21st century despite Hawthorn having won more flags in that time has got me thinking about who's been more successful out of the two SA clubs.

Port have a better win percentage and lead the Crows in the H2H count but the Crows have won an extra flag just like how Hawthorn have an extra flag over Geelong. Using Leigh Matthews logic you'd say Port have been the most successful South Australian club in the AFL era.

Which club do you think has been more successful in the AFL? Port or the Crows?

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
It's flags, it's all about flags. No one plays for a 'high winning percentage', no one remembers who has the highest winning percentage over a particular period (except maybe the supporters of the team who achieved it), and at the end of the day, no one cares about H&A games beyond winning enough to put them into a position to contest for a flag.....

Port Adelaide supporters will know the motto "we exist to win premierships" and thus flags are all that counts by any measure

I just wish Port's board knew this before they resigned Ken

White Dogg

Senior List
Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
It's flags, it's all about flags. No one plays for a 'high winning percentage', no one remembers who has the highest winning percentage over a particular period (except maybe the supporters of the team who achieved it), and at the end of the day, no one cares about H&A games beyond winning enough to put them into a position to contest for a flag.....
Why does Leigh Matthews use win percentages and finals appearances as metrics of defining success? All the Port supporters I've spoken to say the only metric that matters is flags. Same goes for all the Geelong supporters I've spoken to. However on here there seem to be many Geelong supporters who use win percentages and finals appearances as metrics of defining success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
Why does Leigh Matthews use win percentages and finals appearances as metrics of defining success? All the Port supporters I've spoken to say the only metric that matters is flags. Same goes for all the Geelong supporters I've spoken to. However on here there seem to be many Geelong supporters who use win percentages and finals appearances as metrics of defining success.
I think Lethal's just trying not to be biased/show favoritism towards two clubs he was heavily involved in...

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Both clubs are bit of a laughing stock, no offence. I mean Adelaide’s implosion post-power stance and tex being racist and Port’s had racism scandals too and also keeps trying to fight afl about teal and they have a coach that most of their supporters have hated for years. I am a port adelaide supporter (second team behind dees) so maybe biased but as far as success goes they’re both equal imo because both clubs have done nothing for 20 years. Who cares what happened before then, was port even in the competition when Adelaide bradbury’d two flags?

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not only does Adelaide have more flags, but they’ve won a B2B. That in itself is a rare and impressive feat for a club still only 30 odd years old. Then again, Port might turn around and talk about flags they’ve won in bush leagues to try and prove they’re better.

Crows for me.

In the AFL Adelaide have won 2 flags to Ports 1 so they win on that metric. So they are comparible to Collingwood and Essendon with 2 AFL flags. Port comparible to Carlton with 1 AFL flag each. We aren't counting bush state league titles so that's where it stands I guess.

Last edited:
May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm going to go slightly against the narrative here - certainly flags are the most important thing no doubt. But they are not the only thing. If that's all that matters, then even Hawthorn are not very successful over the last 62 years. Yes, they have won 13 flags, but they have not won 48 times (and I'm pretty sure most Hawk fans don't think they'll win this year). If that's the criteria for success, that's terrible - no wonder they have no supporters! :D

Supporting your club is a journey week-to-week, day-to-day, year-to-year. You can interpret steps along the way as success or failure (you can even 'win' the draft, if you want to categorise it that way). You can get a little bit of success here and there - winning interstate is good, beating the hated rival is very good, losing a close heart-breaker can be worse than losing by 5 goals when you were never really in the game. You don't win first division Tattslotto every time - but sometimes a nice 4th or 5th division win is fun. And that's (some) success.

Look, Richmond were clear favourites to win in 2018, perfectly placed, great season, best side all year - we didn't. Yeah it still hurts, it's still 'one that got away, possible 4-in-a-row etc', but it was a very good, successful season. It was a wonderful 5-and-a-half months. Losing the prelim did not make it a 'complete waste of a season' (did I mention it still hurts a bit?). Probably 16 sets of club fans would have swapped their seasons for ours.

How this relates to Port v Crows I don't know. But I would rather support a team that won 1 flag and lost 20 other GFs, than a side that won 2 flags and won the wooden spoon every single year they didn't win the flag. Because the first team would be more successful in my eyes.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
In the AFL Adelaide have won 2 flags to Ports 1 so they win on that metric. So they are comparible to Collingwood and Essendon with 2 AFL flags. Port comparible to Carlton with 1 AFL flag each. We aren't counting bush state league titles so that's where it stands I guess.
Some reading material for you from the official AFL website -

AFL Premiership Winners - AFL.com.au

Collingwood has 15 premierships on that list.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
One less premiership
Far more minor premiers
Less wooden spoons

I’d almost slightly give Port the ✅

Port have grossly underachieved in the AFL. 4 minor premierships and 6 prelims have only resulted in 2 Grand Finals and 1 premiership in 24 years. Very poor conversion. Weve been mentally weak in the AFL which was the antithesis of what we were in the SANFL. The fact Hinkley is still coach after so much mediocrity and we've maintained that idiot Breakfast Host as our President shows the club has lost its way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back