Play Nice 2022 AFL/AFLW Crowds/TV Ratings/Stream thread

Remove this Banner Ad

it happens in US sport and big soccer clubs in Europe. I hope the AFL can find a system which works within the next decade to maximise crowds.

I've heard some soccer clubs have a points system where you get points for simply using your seat, and those points are redeemed for priority access to away game tickets and other big events. How about grand final tickets? You get access if you have more than X points, so if your seat goes unused for more than 1 or 2 times during the year you get a lower priority.

it happens in US sport and big soccer clubs in Europe. I hope the AFL can find a system which works within the next decade to maximise crowds.

There is a system. Moving to reserved bays and not seats for members. Could oversell members area and medallion Club.

It works great, has been our membership for years. Never a Round 1, Anzac Eve, Dreamtime or any big game has there not been a seat.

When it’s a sell out, this is the only way to lift it.

It’s a fairly simple solution.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I've heard some soccer clubs have a points system where you get points for simply using your seat, and those points are redeemed for priority access to away game tickets and other big events. How about grand final tickets? You get access if you have more than X points, so if your seat goes unused for more than 1 or 2 times during the year you get a lower priority.

I like this idea. Rewards the more passionate supporters.

The Essendon and Sydney would have been attended by 30k at best at Docklands with Essendon being so dismal. The very few Essendon games against interstate sides at the MCG have seen much larger than usual Docklands crowds so who knows. Seems like interstate supporters turn up in larger numbers at the MCG than for the corresponding Docklands game, too.

The Essendon and Sydney would have been attended by 30k at best at Docklands with Essendon being so dismal. The very few Essendon games against interstate sides at the MCG have seen much larger than usual Docklands crowds so who knows. Seems like interstate supporters turn up in larger numbers at the MCG than for the corresponding Docklands game, too.
I repeat what I’ve said many times, Essendon always draw much bigger crowds at the MCG compared to Marvel. Today’s proof this doesn’t just hold for Richmond and Collingwood.

Would’ve drawn 33-35,000 at Marvel. Probably 45,000+ at the MCG.

Takeout. A terrible Essendon still draws strong crowds…… At the MCG.

It’s also pretty apparent that most Vic supporter bases prefer the MCG over Docklands. Only teams that probably prefer Docklands for home games are Dogs and Geelong since it’s easier to get to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon continually showing their crowds are the most consistent out of all the Melbourne based clubs.
Their base crowd is very strong. A resemblance of a team competing for finals and it’s well over 50,000 at the MCG today. Aka the 2019 crowd against the Swans.

There’s a sizeable Essendon cohort that clearly won’t go to Marvel.. Not just it’s MCC and AFL members. Makes you wonder how big Essendon crowds would be if they were winning finals and played their games at the MCG. I’m sure their executive will have lots to think about beyond 2024 in terms of its mix of games.

We tend to quickly forget those big crowds they get at the MCG when by their own choice, play the interstate and small Victorian clubs at Marvel.

Ditto Carlton too.

Takeout. A terrible Essendon still draws strong crowds…… At the MCG.

Sydney have averaged 45k at the G for the last decade, despite never being allowed to play Collingwood there. Today‘s crowd fits right into that (is technically actually below average). That they are consistently a better option for Vic clubs wanting a good crowd in Melbourne than either the Bulldogs or North and are often better than St Kilda and Melbourne is the main point I’m taking from today.

I repeat what I’ve said many times, Essendon always draw much bigger crowds at the MCG compared to Marvel. Today’s proof this doesn’t just hold for Richmond and Collingwood.

Would’ve drawn 33-35,000 at Marvel. Probably 45,000+ at the MCG.

Actual stats for Essendon crowds at Docklands and the MCG point to a 4-5k difference on average. For Richmond and Collingwood it’s around 10k.

The worst crowd Essendon have ever had against Sydney at Docklands is around 4-5k lower than today’s crowd (38k in 2011) with ever other crowd there being well over 40k. With school holidays in both states, a decent day, good timeslot and kids getting in free I don’t see how today’s game would have been any lower than your previous worst.

Sydney have averaged 45k at the G for the last decade, despite never being allowed to play Collingwood there. Today‘s crowd fits right into that (is technically actually below average). That they are consistently a better option for Vic clubs wanting a good crowd in Melbourne than either the Bulldogs or North and are often better than St Kilda and Melbourne is the main point I’m taking from today.

Actual stats for Essendon crowds at Docklands and the MCG point to a 4-5k difference on average. For Richmond and Collingwood it’s around 10k.

The worst crowd Essendon have ever had against Sydney at Docklands is around 4-5k lower than today’s crowd (38k in 2011) with ever other crowd there being well over 40k. With school holidays in both states, a decent day, good timeslot and kids getting in free I don’t see how today’s game would have been any lower than your previous worst.

Great post.

Statistically the Swans are a larger draw than North, the Dogs, Saints and Dees in a non flag season.

Never underestimate the South Melbourne support - it’s massive.

That’s not taking away from todays crowd which given the circumstances was probably the best Victorian crowd for the season.

Given Essendon has the second largest MCC and AFL membership the upsize for more MCG games is enormous.

Post 2025, I can see the AFL negotiating a 6/5 MCG and Docklands contract for Essendon, Carlton and perhaps Hawthorn should they exit Tasmania

Last edited:
Surely that would be attributable mostly, of not all by MCC members and the far larger AFL members reserve?

It’s very hard to tell how much is attributable to those and how much to members or general public.

As an AFL Member I don’t have any issue going to Docklands games and it’s worth noting that although the dedicated area for us is considerably smaller at Docklands you can still get in for free to the general admission areas or reserve a seat on Level 3 for a minimal amount to most games there. Don’t actually know what rights, if any, MCC members have.

The same MCC and AFL issues exist for Essendon but (only in my opinion) their club members are much less likely to have a problem with showing up at Docklands, for the obvious reason that it is actually their home ground - hence the smaller differential.

I don’t necessarily agree.

Essendon haven’t played the Swans at Marvel whist being outright 3rd bottom with only 3 wins from 14 games and out of contention. That game you reference back in 2011 was when Essendon were in the eight (8th) and Sydney 7th. Chalk and cheese.

Today’s match at Marvel would’ve only drawn between 33-35,000. There’s no doubt about that. A really poor Essendon drew 24,000 against Fremantle earlier this year. This 33-35K being made up of ~25,000 Essendon and probably 8-10,000 Swans fans. Today’s crowd certainly pointed to an incremental 8-10,000 additional fans, in line with that incremental you point to for the Pies / Tigers.

Many of the Swans previous crowds at the MCG the last decade were against Hawthorn in GF rematches, Richmond ‘on the March’ and even the 60,199 against a challenging Essendon in 2019. Outside of GF rematches today’s crowd compares well. That aside, today’s crowd points to the Essendon fans preference for the G and underscores some of the huge interstate crowds it drew at Marvel between 2017-9 with hindsight.

Last edited:
Great post.

Statistically the Swans are a larger draw than North, the Dogs, Saints and Dees in a non flag season.

Never underestimate the South Melbourne support - it’s massive.

That’s not taking away from todays crowd which given the circumstances was probably the best Victorian crowd for the season.

Given Essendon has the second largest MCC and AFL membership the upsize for more MCG games is enormous.

Post 2025, I can see the AFL negotiating a 6/5 MCG and Docklands contract for Essendon, Carlton and perhaps Hawthorn should they exit Tasmania
Agree. Today’s crowd was up there with the 66,000 at the Blues / Hawks for Victorian crowd of the season. You can’t underestimate the Essendon MCG preference. It drew 49,000+ Against the Lions in 2019 having only won one of its first four matches. Together with that 60,000+ against the Swans it only proves yet again the significant amount of fans who will not bother going to Marvel.

Would the strong Essendon crowds at the G hold out if they played 10 games a year there?

Could be be a bit of a novelty than fans pencil in at the home of footy?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
There’s no reason why they wouldn’t. Their crowds in the late 1990’s were comparable and this was in an era of lower membership, no 3 game tickets etc. I’ve always believed a performing Essendon will draw crowds every bit as strong as any club in Victoria.

Maybe I missed something, however wasn’t the Metricon game tonight sold out? Doesn’t look like all sections have been sold. Good crowd and all that although I thought a sellout tonight was on the cards given the sizzle behind it.

It does, but I believe Victorian clubs charge big premiums for packages that include guaranteed grand final seats should the team make it. It's another advantage of having the game guaranteed to be in your city.
Vic Clubs still have the ballot system. I think most choose priority based on $$$, but I know Richmond uses length of consecutive membership. In 2019 all 7 years+ members were offered to purchase a ticket.

Maybe I missed something, however wasn’t the Metricon game tonight sold out? Doesn’t look like all sections have been sold. Good crowd and all that although I thought a sellout tonight was on the cards given the sizzle behind it.
Empty seats are the ones that cost $60+. GA and ones $30-55 sold out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back