• James Rowe

• Harry Schoenberg

• Jake Soligo

• Brodie Smith

• Taylor Walker

• Riley Thilthorpe

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nicks must be hovering in this thread as someone gave Murphy a vote for playing well.
The disappointing thing is after Nicks publicly went in to bat for Murphy and explained his reasoning for the decision he won't be able to drop him now without looking like even more of an idiot

It is a Sunday game though, so maybe a squad naming and quiet Friday pm demotion. Fingers crossed

A simple fix would be to take Laird out of the midfield rotation.
We have no need for Laird in the middle when he can both fill a need in the backline whilst freeing up spot in the middle. Crouch - Hately and Berry - Keays rotate allowing a spot for Schoenberg, Soligo, whoever else we need to start getting games into.

Laird should have only ever been considered a midfield stop-gap anyway.
Yeah so much this. He’s more damaging with time and space hence the goal. In tight it’s getting locked in a bit more but not enough or working.

I feel like a broken record but we just don’t win anywhere near enough if the ground ball. Every time there’s a spill of the ball Melbourne are there first. Walsh would be turning in his grave that his key philosophy during his time here is still our core problem, 7 years later. Also we can’t kick for s**t.

I was thinking of a Dawson/Laird swap in the third. But they moved him forward. Laird is a serial dumper in traffic. The intercepts or turnover from his last possession are high.
He needs to be in the chain of possessions but not at the end of it.

i honestly don't see Dawson as a stoppage mid. Brilliant as he is, he's not a 360 degree player and I reckon would be far more damaging from a flank or wing over the course.

Watch him closely. Everything he does is done with his right shoulder dropped = He preferrs one lane over the other= easily picked off or shut down as a midfielder. Sloane is the same but in the opposite direction.
Soligo on the other hand...

Last edited:
The disappointing thing is after Nicks publicly went in to bat for Murphy and explained his reasoning for the decision he won't be able to drop him now without looking like even more of an idiot

It is a Sunday game though, so maybe a squad naming and quiet Friday pm demotion. Fingers crossed

Nicks is hardly going to come out and say 'yeah Murphy is utter shite, my bad'...

I feel like a broken record but we just don’t win anywhere near enough if the ground ball. Every time there’s a spill of the ball Melbourne are there first. Walsh would be turning in his grave that his key philosophy during his time here is still our core problem, 7 years later. Also we can’t kick for s**t.
The amount of times it went from inside to outside to the same three players would drive you crazy as well. Proof that the coaching strategy of guarding space in a formation is absolute rigid bulldust and letting it happen over maintaining shape should see you the exit door.

Our best mover out of stoppage was always forward of centre while Laird and Berry were behind. Our best mover with his back to goal is stupid when you are dominant in tap. He should be moving at speed towards forwards, not with his back to them I would think.
There’s just too much sticking to match ups. They switched it up all the time while we were rigid. Hence exploited.

Be nice to finally have a decent midfield Coach that understands such things.

i honestly don't see Dawson as a stoppage mid. Brilliant as he is, he's not a 360 degree player and I reckon would be far more damaging from a flank or wing over the course.

Watch him closely. Everything he does is done with his right shoulder dropped = He preferrs one lane over the other= easily picked off or shut down as a midfielder. Sloane is the same but in the opposite direction.
Soligo on the other hand...
Yeah possibly, he out positions his defender with his right side to get that goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In defense, why do we never have a player between the goal line and the contest?

Why do we so often concede the first 3 goals of a match?

Why do we rarely have anyone staying down for the scraps - both in defense and in attack? Everyone wants to be a hero and fly for the ball.

Why, when you can easily play on kicking out after a point, and gain 20-30metres before kicking, do we persistently take a token little run and kick it long to the right to a stagnant contest. Why haven’t we perfected some set plays from the kick out? And why don’t we ever do it in a hurry to catch the oppo on the back foot?

We need Leon Cameron in some role at the club. His experience in working with young development lists would be beneficial.

Laird as well. Feels like they are fairly comfortable at the moment.

Late in the third quarter, Laird gains the ball, he is clear no player with 10m, Dawson is leading with his opponent way behind and yet somehow Laird misses Dawson by 15m which should have been a shot on goal directly in front only 30m out.

Our midfield lacks class, but we already know that.

Newchurch shows signs. "He's not ready".
Newchurch electric speed as a point of difference. "He's not ready".
Newchurch kicks 2 and gets involved. "He's not ready".
Newchurch kicks 3 and continues to build, explosive speed obvious. "He's not ready".
Newchurch kicks 4 and is the best forward on the ground, deserves a call up. "He's not ready".
Newchurch plays poorly. "See, we told you he's not ready".
And then you get idiots praising Crab and putting Newchurch down but don't ask why Tariek got tagged and Crab didn't

In defense, why do we never have a player between the goal line and the contest?

Why do we so often concede the first 3 goals of a match?

Why do we rarely have anyone staying down for the scraps - both in defense and in attack? Everyone wants to be a hero and fly for the ball.

Why, when you can easily play on kicking out after a point, and gain 20-30metres before kicking, do we persistently take a token little run and kick it long to the right to a stagnant contest. Why haven’t we perfected some set plays from the kick out? And why don’t we ever do it in a hurry to catch the oppo on the back foot?
We appear to lack the basics in defence… also never never let the ball out the back when contesting an aerial contest

Late in the third quarter, Laird gains the ball, he is clear no player with 10m, Dawson is leading with his opponent way behind and yet somehow Laird misses Dawson by 15m which should have been a shot on goal directly in front only 30m out.

Our midfield lacks class, but we already know that.
So even Melbourne we’re sloppy. But we made them look linked up. A ways to go for AFC.

Bad - Dawson having 26 touches in just over a half of footy and our best by a country mile......move him forward....4 more touches for the game.
Just goes to show what the delivery is like. To advantage for their defence much. I’m so bored of seeing him as the stop gap. Four touches in that time is express to All our forward averages for three quarters man.

Back