• Riley Thilthorpe

Results are only viewable after voting.
Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
We actually controlled a lot of the game.
Turning it into a grind. We are good at this. But you can't hold a good team for 120 minutes.

Melbourne had the class to lift.

A great example is the goal Fritsch got.

Just before that goal we had a an I50 that was not perfect, but a good contested marker would grab it.

It went to ground.

Melbourne then worked the ball forward, a scrub kick towards Fritsch, who has strong hands and goals.

Tonight that class was the difference.

I think we are one or two elite mids and a true contested marker up forward away from being a Finals contender.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

rubbers0ul

All Australian
Sep 14, 2005
a-town
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
centrals
Laird misses Dawson on the lead. No pressure, 15m dinky kick required and just put it way over Dawsons head. Basically sums up our day. Great spirit and effort, absolutely no ability to use the ball well by most.

12 point turnaround off that with Melbourne taking it up the other end untouched

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jirkago75

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
We lost to a better team and that understandable but we have to look who doesn’t perform well in losses to good team to work out who makes it or not.
Today I don’t think Rowe, Murphy, Rachelle or Jones contributed at all.

Rowe is ok but he just isn’t getting enough ball to do any damage and has no defensive pressure. His position has to on notice

Murphy has been poor for a while and needs a spell, on not for his own confidence if anything. His kicking has been poor for a while too.

Jones seems lost, his kicking was awful and cost us a few goals when there was no pressure on him. Did ok defensively but is that enough??

Rachelle needs to be dropped, he has shown absolutely nothing besides the first month. I understand we need to play young players to get better but he isn’t doing anything in the team for a while. He looks lost and Has no confidence either.

Hately is another midfielder like crouch who has no hurt factor at all and is average at everything. Hope I’m wrong but feel he will play 200 average for us when he isn’t good enough . Hope I’m wrong

On a good note
Murray has improved a far bit and has shown improvement in his one on one stuff.

Soliton is such a find, best first year player we have had for a while. He’s tough and a great kick. One of our great finds this year.

Parnell has been good since entering the side even if he makes a few mistake . Really happy the Nicks has played him even now Browns back.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America

RePete

Club Legend
Jan 23, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
We would be tackling them and they would always get the ball out. They were bigger and stronger, faster and with better skills. They knew how to control the ball, we didn't. Our kicking was so bad. How many intercept possessions did we allow them? How many times did we kick it out on the full? How many times did it go forward and and we couldn't even half a contest? Yeah, we are a long, long way off.

If Max Gawn had been allowed to play on crutches, would O'Brien have been able to beat him?

MarcusP2

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
I mean, the best player in the last rebuild to really bounce up and become a consistent top four threat in Brisbane came from another club.

Doesn't matter how you get good players, as long as you have good players.
Lyons, Neale, Cameron, McCarthy, Daniher, Robinson, Adams, they have tons of imports critical to the team.

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

rubbers0ul

All Australian
Sep 14, 2005
a-town
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
centrals
We just came up against the best of the best stoppage players in the comp and pretty much broke even

Langdon walloped us on outside

If we didn’t win hit outs we would have got beaten by a fair ebut more

Melb won the flag off the back off that and you think we should go out and toy with them with the guys we’ve got on there ?

We don’t have players like petracca and Oliver that power out of stoppage , they’re 2 of the best 4 in comp

Given how son people in here rate our mids you’d expect them to beat us by 15-25 goals

We did well to do what we did in there , Langdon hurt us big time on outside

again, blue print 101. to play Langdon is make sure you are between him and the boundary on the outside.

Crows coach’s refuse to instruct that winger to do just that and they kept getting sucked into the contest leaving Langdon free on the outside

So dumb

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Didn't mind it overall, although our first half was much better than our second. Longer term we get a lot more benefit from this loss than from last week's win. And, although it seems weird saying it about a 5 goal loss vs a 10 goal win, but I actually enjoyed watching this one more, too.

Great seeing the younger players get significant time in the middle. I thought Berry was great. Made some decision-making and skill errors that he'll need to tidy up over time to avoid becoming a whipping boy in the future, but really brought some energy and intensity into our midfield. And even though he made some errors, he never dropped his head or went into his shell, just kept on trying to create the play.

Dawson fantastic. Hopefully we can find another one or two of him somewhere, because we need at least three.

Hinge was good, especially in the first half. Our team overall just looked much smaller than Melbourne's, but Hinge was one who had the size and strength to match it with them physically.

On the disappointing side, I thought Rowe was one of our better players last week, but nothing tonight. Murray really poor, we desperately need a couple of KPDs (but not with our first pick, thanks) because right now it's Butts and nothing. Butts is OK, but if he's your main man in the back line then you are in desperate need of reinforcements. Chayce Jones is a player who sometimes teases by showing just enough to think he might be able to become at least a solid if unspectacular AFL player, but other times can be pretty dire. This was not one of his teasing games.

And holy christ, I wish I had a dollar for every sh*thouse kick that we put out on the full tonight. And most of them were under little or no pressure.

LeftyLuke

Cancelled
Mar 29, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Didn't mind it overall, although our first half was much better than our second. Longer term we get a lot more benefit from this loss than from last week's win. And, although it seems weird saying it about a 5 goal loss vs a 10 goal win, but I actually enjoyed watching this one more, too.

Great seeing the younger players get significant time in the middle. I thought Berry was great. Made some decision-making and skill errors that he'll need to tidy up over time to avoid becoming a whipping boy in the future, but really brought some energy and intensity into our midfield. And even though he made some errors, he never dropped his head or went into his shell, just kept on trying to create the play.

Dawson fantastic. Hopefully we can find another one or two of him somewhere, because we need at least three.

Hinge was good, especially in the first half. Our team overall just looked much smaller than Melbourne's, but Hinge was one who had the size and strength to match it with them physically.

On the disappointing side, I thought Rowe was one of our better players last week, but nothing tonight. Murray really poor, we desperately need a couple of KPDs (but not with our first pick, thanks) because right now it's Butts and nothing. Butts is OK, but if he's your main man in the back line then you are in desperate need of reinforcements. Chayce Jones is a player who sometimes teases by showing just enough to think he might be able to become at least a solid if unspectacular AFL player, but other times can be pretty dire. This was not one of his teasing games.

And holy christ, I wish I had a dollar for every sh*thouse kick that we put out on the full tonight. And most of them were under little or no pressure.
Berry is leading the AFL for tackles. Loved his game and just needs to tidy up some of his kicking and become a bit more composed. That will come with experience.

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

FYI Murray played on brown and melb supporters are calling for Brown to be dropped

Murray is also in top 5 in comp for defensive player 1 on 1 contest win rates as mentioned on telecast

He dropped 2 marks that lead to goals and they were bad errors but he’s tracking nicely for a 20 gamer

Rebuilding is about backing in young players that are showing ability to perform a role , without those 2 errors he has a big game but he still beat Brown anyway , hopfully irons out errors though

V good point re some mid progression with Berry / Soligo . Hard task tonight but they both promising

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
We actually controlled a lot of the game.
Turning it into a grind. We are good at this. But you can't hold a good team for 120 minutes.

Melbourne had the class to lift.

A great example is the goal Fritsch got.

Just before that goal we had a an I50 that was not perfect, but a good contested marker would grab it.

It went to ground.

Melbourne then worked the ball forward, a scrub kick towards Fritsch, who has strong hands and goals.

Tonight that class was the difference.

I think we are one or two elite mids and a true contested marker up forward away from being a Finals contender.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I don’t agree.
I would think it’s double your number in the areas. Plus an actual ruck.

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
FYI Murray played on brown and melb supporters are calling for Brown to be dropped

Murray is also in top 5 in comp for defensive player 1 on 1 contest win rates as mentioned on telecast

He dropped 2 marks that lead to goals and they were bad errors but he’s tracking nicely for a 20 gamer

Rebuilding is about backing in young players that are showing ability to perform a role , without those 2 errors he has a big game but he still beat Brown anyway , hopfully irons out errors though

V good point re some mid progression with Berry / Soligo . Hard task tonight but they both promising
Perhaps I'm being harsh on Murray, but yeah those couple of bad errors really stood out. And I stand by my opinion on our lack of KPD depth. Murray may or may not make it but we still need more options both for depth and also competition for those positions.

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Perhaps I'm being harsh on Murray, but yeah those couple of bad errors really stood out. And I stand by my opinion on our lack of KPD depth. Murray may or may not make it but we still need more options both for depth and also competition for those positions.
Like to take a key back late / rookie

And a project ruck as there’s some good ones in this draft including 2 from SA

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yep they were bad errors

Speaking of , that Jones kick that missed target 3rd QTR was also a shocker which killed momentum

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
the crazy thing is it is our older players (keays, doedee, smith, laird) that are actually making even more mistakes, poor decisions and miss kicking even the most basic kicks… and a lot of the time when they arent even under pressure.

yet there are many here that seem to simply refuse to pot these older blokes and continue to focus on the youth and judge them a shitload more harshly.

its bewildering.
In the first half, I did some counting tonight (stopped/gave up in the third quarter when the Dees took over) which reinforces your point.

I counted the number of Crows' kicks I50 (or as in the 2nd quarter, once, within 2m of the 50m arc.)
With 4 minutes still left to play in the first 1/4, seven I50 kicks were marked easily by Dees players :oops: :eek:.
In the second quarter it was 5, 1 marked just outside the 50m line, and 3 went ootf.

16 turnovers from poor kicks alone, gifted turnovers, in the first half. At least 4 resulted in Dees' goals.
If they'd been turned into Crows' goals instead, we'd have won the game, regardless of the weak third quarter and the goals the Dees kicked right at the end of the match.

The worst offenders? Smith, Laird and Keays --- the latter two considered by many in the Poll to be amongst our best.
Bewildering, indeed.

LeftyLuke

Cancelled
Mar 29, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Like to take a key back late / rookie

And a project ruck as there’s some good ones in this draft including 2 from SA
We need to trade in a quality experienced KPD in the Brennan Cox vain. If Butts goes down we are completely stuffed. We have the cap space and its a glaring weakness on our list. If we can find a free agent that will cost us nothing other than cap even better. Dawson can then play where we traded him in to play on the wing.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
We need to trade in a quality experienced KPD in the Brennan Cox vain. If Butts goes down we are completely stuffed. We have the cap space and its a glaring weakness on our list. Dawson can then play where we traded him in to play on the wing.
I’d rather go cheap back there with a trade or late draft pick and go for mids and class mid - forward with our bounty

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide

Probably because it wasn't a game where Melbourne were 10 goals up and then we end up easily losing by 5 goals, the game was a lot closer than the end margin (much like the GCS game last week) and their better players all had good games so it was a quality game. And no doubt we were our worst enemy with at least 5 goals from horrible mistakes (3 by Murray dropping marks which allow the ball to get behind him and 2 by Jones with that horrible pass and not contesting for the mark).

LeftyLuke

Cancelled
Mar 29, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’d rather go cheap back there with a trade or late draft pick and go for mids and class mid - forward with our bounty
I think our midfield is not going to be as bad as some people think with Berry, Soligo, Schoenberg, Taylor for the future. We lack down back and in the forward half. The backend is where opposition puts the score on to beat us so we need a bit of quality down there. We also lack a quality small forward which hopefully we can nab Rankine. A decent KPD and a quality small forward will give us some decent bang for buck. If we could get another mid such as Hopper from GWS we should be set. We are going to have to trade out some players though.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think our midfield is not going to be as bad as some people think with Berry, Soligo, Schoenberg, Taylor for the future. We lack down back and in the forward half. The backend is where opposition puts the score on to beat us so we need a bit of quality down there. We also lack a quality small forward which hopefully we can nab Rankine. A decent KPD and a quality small forward will give us some decent bang for buck. If we could get another mid such as Hopper from GWS we should be set. We are going to have to trade out some players though.
Those quality small forwards are Rachele and Newchurch. McAsey could replace Walker when he retire with Fogarty (who has surprised me), McAsey and Gollant as our tall. Thilthorpe will be the quality lead ruckman when we started to contend and will be a very good resting forward. We still need an elite powerful midfielder.....Pedlar?

Back