• James Rowe

• Harry Schoenberg

• Jake Soligo

• Brodie Smith

• Taylor Walker

• Riley Thilthorpe

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not only do we not have a capable second KPD but we also now seem to not have any decent medium sized defenders.

Smith is looking pretty cooked and Doedee has regressed bigtime. He certainly isn't in the running for captain in my mind.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Smith is very close to the end. Next year, if nit now, should be playing Reserves.

Doedee is being killed by the insistence of having Dawson play his role.

We have essentially traded in Dawson to kill off Doedee. No net gain. And in actual fact an overall net loss with Seedsman out and not playing Dawson in that attacking wing role.

As a bare minimum Dawson should be Seeds replacement and give Doedee back his role now we have Butts and Murray in the team.

Ideally Dawson should be part of the midfield rotation.

Dawson should win the BnF, but hus role in the team right now has set us back.

We lost to a better team and that understandable but we have to look who doesn’t perform well in losses to good team to work out who makes it
I think this is a very good point. Winning against a poor team like North Melbourne papers over cracks, and even being competitive against a better team. Yesterday really showed us who is up for the fight and who is just out of their depth. Rowe and Murphy were out of their depth. McNenry would also have been. Jones is borderline.
And the poor disposal skills of Laird and Keays- and Crouch - if he had played - can't be papered over in an elite environment.
In better news, Berry continues to step up, Soligo looked at home and Dawson is just amazing. And some ticks for Hinge who was encouraging, Fog until he was injured and Thilthorpe in the second half, who woke up when we put him on the ball.
I sit right on the boundary right in the middle on the eastern side and see lots of amazing close up play. It's very easy to see the difference in quality of players. The one that stood out the most yesterday was Langdon. Creative, aware, highly skilled, fast - and in the play and off the play. Let's get one of those!

I noticed that and it had me angrier than anything that was happening in the actual game. It's proof that the "play senior guys at all costs" selection philosophy is endorsed by the board. We're in real trouble if club admin is still in denial mode after 5 poor years.

A senior coaching presentation for a job is a deep dive into their philosophies across all aspects of coaching. It's not so much 'endorsed', it's more that you don't get a second interview (or BBQ invite) if your philosophies don't align with the key decision makers. The club don't need to endorse it because they only employ coaches who think exactly as they do in the first place.

Last edited:

You're not seriously comparing Carmichael to Hopper just yet?

Style wise they're very different players .
Not at all, he was a big bodied midfielder available to us which is what the poster said we needed.
Now in a couple of years lets revisit this. I really rated Carmichael I'll be watching his career with interest.

Really enjoyed this one, the young players would have learnt plenty.

The Youngsters

If Berry could kick, we would be saying what a great game he had. But the composure will come, plenty of question marks over Oliver’s and Petracca’s disposal early in their career.

Parnell is still getting lost defensively, but again will learn. Love the way he is prepared to provide run and take a risk with his kicking. Should be pushed up to the wing in the short term.

Soligo is all class, will make some mistakes but so much more positive than negative. Just reads the game so we’ll.

Really impressed by Hinge, uses his body well and a decent kick.

Schoenberg had a couple of nice moments, as did TT. Jones was clearly asked to do a defensive role tonight which he did reasonably well. Fog was really solid before his finger mushed, still contributed after. Rachele is still struggling, would like to see him have a run in the guts at SANFL level. Hately was very ordinary.

Experience

Dawson, what did we do to deserve him?

Tex was solid, sign him up.

Keays and Laird, endeavour great, but Keays taking a shot from 50 and Laird missing Dawson destroyed momentum at the time.

Smith is done, should be the first one out next week (but I guess he has experience)

Murphy, Rowe, nothing.

Tex's ladt half was very bad, even before the cork, he struggled. Nothing wrong with waiting till the end of the year to see how his body is holding up. Unless he's prepared to sign for a couple of hundred K, which I doubt he is, so waiting is the right thing to do.

i honestly don't see Dawson as a stoppage mid. Brilliant as he is, he's not a 360 degree player and I reckon would be far more damaging from a flank or wing over the course.

Watch him closely. Everything he does is done with his right shoulder dropped = He preferrs one lane over the other= easily picked off or shut down as a midfielder. Sloane is the same but in the opposite direction.
Soligo on the other hand...

I agree 100% with this, but we're rebuilding, so nothing is lost adding him into the rotation for a few weeks to see what he has in there. Despite it being a bad move, I was happy that Nix actually tried to use him where he can directly impact scoring. I would have preferred we see him as a mid though, that's the area that needs immediate attention.

Laird as well. Feels like they are fairly comfortable at the moment.

This is an ingrained culture courtesy of the continuity/experience imperative that results in senior players knowing they are unlikely to get dropped even if only performing at 50% of their better form. There's no accountability for performance outside of the junior players.

i honestly don't see Dawson as a stoppage mid. Brilliant as he is, he's not a 360 degree player and I reckon would be far more damaging from a flank or wing over the course.

Watch him closely. Everything he does is done with his right shoulder dropped = He preferrs one lane over the other= easily picked off or shut down as a midfielder. Sloane is the same but in the opposite direction.
Soligo on the other hand...
Tend to agree.

Starting position wing, running into the centre break at the bounce as the stoppage outlet is more the "midfield " role I see him playing.

Was it Murphy's 9 pressure acts or his 0 scores or his 0 score involvements that Newchurch couldn't have managed at AFL level?
Murphy in was a howler.

But his replacement does not need to be a small forward.

Let Rachele be the main SF for the rest of the year and only play one of Rowe/McHenry/Murphy to partner him.

Then bring in Gollant. He is one of our few leading forwards with strong hands.

Or Cook.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nicks has basically excused his coaching and selection at the press conference and put it all on the players. Well played Matthew.

Just a little bit of the Don Pyke's and David Noble's, any doubt our culture onky employs the same types over and over? That was a very good effort despite the fact the coach refuses to try and fix the most important part of the ground. Still, anything that gets this dud moved on more quickly is good, blaming the players entirely is a step in the right direction.

With how poor ROB hitouts were..... why not grab it out of the ruck and slam it forward.... or even more annoying is why not punch with 20m forward....

We spent most of the game predictably bombing it into the waiting arms of Lever or May.

Only really changed it up by kicking out on the full.

The one time we got through them in the third quarter was when ROB flubbed a pathetic 30m slice that slewed towards CHF. May & Lever were both sitting a kick away and this completely caught them unawares. Smith crumbs, Dawson marks, goal.

That occasion was just lack of skill on show but it would be nice to see us deliberately mix up our length of kick to take the intercept defenders out of the contest.

A key philosophy of Nix is that inside 50 entries need to be consistent in terms of depth. What we see is players executing to instruction.

Smith is very close to the end. Next year, if nit now, should be playing Reserves.

Doedee is being killed by the insistence of having Dawson play his role.

We have essentially traded in Dawson to kill off Doedee. No net gain. And in actual fact an overall net loss with Seedsman out and not playing Dawson in that attacking wing role.

As a bare minimum Dawson should be Seeds replacement and give Doedee back his role now we have Butts and Murray in the team.

Ideally Dawson should be part of the midfield rotation.

Dawson should win the BnF, but hus role in the team right now has set us back.

I don't agree with the Doedee suffering because of Dawson part. Between the two of them we should one of the better intercepting teams going around.

Doedee is just in some horrific form. He is under zero selection pressure which probably doesn't help and seems to think he can run through congestion.

Maybe this talk of him being a captain in waiting is going to his head.

I mean, the best player in the last rebuild to really bounce up and become a consistent top four threat in Brisbane came from another club.

Doesn't matter how you get good players, as long as you have good players.
True. But the majority of the time you are drafting them. Matt crouch is the last midfielder from memory that we drafted that has made the AA team. No one else has even come close to the squad of 40. That’s 9 years of drafting short people, and key position defenders
FYI Murray played on brown and melb supporters are calling for Brown to be dropped

Murray is also in top 5 in comp for defensive player 1 on 1 contest win rates as mentioned on telecast

He dropped 2 marks that lead to goals and they were bad errors but he’s tracking nicely for a 20 gamer

Rebuilding is about backing in young players that are showing ability to perform a role , without those 2 errors he has a big game but he still beat Brown anyway , hopfully irons out errors though

V good point re some mid progression with Berry / Soligo . Hard task tonight but they both promising
Agree with Murray. I’ve always been a fan. Would make a perfect 3rd defender. We haven’t had a player his size that’s quick, courageous, massive leap and can take a mark like him in a long time. Yes he makes some mistakes but keep him in

We spent most of the game predictably bombing it into the waiting arms of Lever or May.

Only really changed it up by kicking out on the full.

The one time we got through them in the third quarter was when ROB flubbed a pathetic 30m slice that slewed towards CHF. May & Lever were both sitting a kick away and this completely caught them unawares. Smith crumbs, Dawson marks, goal.

That occasion was just lack of skill on show but it would be nice to see us deliberately mix up our length of kick to take the intercept defenders out of the contest.
Why didn't the coaches instruct the players delivering it to spot up shorter targets on or just outside 50 to nullify lever and may. When you have 2 guys that are the best in class as intercept markers, you have to play to nullify that and we most certainly did not. We also allowed them some very soft out tge back goals as we never set ourselves to run a sweeper like collingwood did a few weeks back. I know its a young side but it appears on the outside that the coaches either had no plan for it or the players were unable to execute a plan to prevent the may / lever markfest & cheap out the back goals

Back