• James Rowe

• Harry Schoenberg

• Jake Soligo

• Brodie Smith

• Taylor Walker

• Riley Thilthorpe

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope Schoenberg stays in. Had five centre clearances himself. Keays, Laird and Berry combined for six.

Bit fumbly at times as we all were but can tidy that up with some time & confidence
Yep, was our cleanest player in the centre clearances yesterday IMO, even if he didn’t have many touches

That, combined with his attacking mindset, could end up invaluable if he keeps making progress. Need him to have a huge preseason

I’ve been a huge fan since watching him as a 17 yo but im losing faith

His 3rd QTR turnover that cost momentum had me so frustrated , I know one moment isn’t important but it’s a pattern
I think he needs time in the role.

A bit like Hamill.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Even without size they can still run forward and remove the tackling player from the equation and creat gaps where their teammates can receive and run through. Lyons wasn't big bodied and he could get through. Hately in there more would help, he's a junior version of the big brutes, but he'll get through enough to release teammates here and there.

I accept that this midfield and small forward group will never combine to be a contending group, but with proper coaching philosophies and strategies, they could be quite a bit better. Nix and VB must go.
It looks much better without M Crouch doing his backwards handballs , keays spat out forward a few times and kicked it better last night

Schoenberg and the next draftee is key

If we mess those 2 up it’s going to be hard

I’ve been a huge fan since watching him as a 17 yo but im losing faith

His 3rd QTR turnover that cost momentum had me so frustrated , I know one moment isn’t important but it’s a pattern
Yeah this might be harsh but I just don’t see it

Doesn’t get enough of the footy in a four quarter effort, and when he does he’s prone to poor decision making and errors. Hinge a much more damaging player, in contrast

Yeah this might be harsh but I just don’t see it

Doesn’t get enough of the footy in a four quarter effort, and when he does he’s prone to poor decision making and errors. Hinge a much more damaging player, in contrast
Agree unfort

When he comes in as the sub he’s so much better

Maybe we need to tell him he’s sub until the bounce down

It’s gotta be mental with him

We spent most of the game predictably bombing it into the waiting arms of Lever or May.

Only really changed it up by kicking out on the full.

The one time we got through them in the third quarter was when ROB flubbed a pathetic 30m slice that slewed towards CHF. May & Lever were both sitting a kick away and this completely caught them unawares. Smith crumbs, Dawson marks, goal.

That occasion was just lack of skill on show but it would be nice to see us deliberately mix up our length of kick to take the intercept defenders out of the contest.
One of the commentators during the third quarter made the suggestion of pushing ROB to CHF to provide a contest and bring the ball to ground.

How the * can the commentators come up with such an obvious move to change things up at half forward that had half a chance of working yet our coaches don’t?

For all his dominance in the ruck taps, we were losing clearances. Moving ROB to CHF for a period could have brought the ball to ground more and given Murphy, Rowe and Rachele a chance to get into the game more.

* me our coaches lack any imagination whatsoever.

It’s like they’re all from the Neil Craig school of coaching - all the coaching is done before game day, and then on game day you just stick with the process.

We need some coaches who can do that, but also have a bit of creativity too.

This is coaching too. We don't encourage our small forwards to play their natural games, they're coached to guard space, be in certain spots and concentrate firstly on defence. And we don't allow them to lead up and have leads honoured. We attack with a defensive strategy, being a small in our set up is hard work. It's tough for talls too.

This is coaching too. We don't encourage our small forwards to play their natural games, they're coached to guard space, be in certain spots and concentrate firstly on defence. And we don't allow them to lead up and have leads honoured. We attack with a defensive strategy, being a small in our set up is hard work. It's tough for talls too.

And they don't crumb or guard the right space to put themselves in an attacking position to crumb. Rowe did early and so did Rachele but neither really do now.

Yep, was our cleanest player in the centre clearances yesterday IMO, even if he didn’t have many touches

That, combined with his attacking mindset, could end up invaluable if he keeps making progress. Need him to have a huge preseason

He's still a ways behind where he left off in those regards end of last season.

Crouch played bloody good footy today. But he cant replicate that in the firsts..

Fixed that for you Jenny.

The only way crouch should be allowed to return to the AFL side is if he replaced one of Laird or Keays..

Its bad enough having laird and keays in the same midfield let alone adding crouch into the mix.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we traded in Dawson to replace Doedee.

Net result, after Seeds concussion issues is a negative in terms of evolving the team.

No, we traded in Dawson and Doedee continued his poor form from last year.

Ideally both are firing and taking intercepts galore but Doedee has completely dropped the bundle and regressed. Some of it has been because he has been asked to be a second defender but the past few weeks he hasn't had this excuse.

Even if we are assuming they are like for like, Dawson is lightyears in front of Doedee at the moment. It is still a net win.

Seeds is irrelevant to the discussion. Dawson is a better HBF than he is a winger.

Imagine our kick outs with Doedee or Smith taking them instead of Dawson. We would never exit our back half. Kick outs have improved out of sight this year.

Perhaps I'm being harsh on Murray, but yeah those couple of bad errors really stood out. And I stand by my opinion on our lack of KPD depth. Murray may or may not make it but we still need more options both for depth and also competition for those positions.
Murray will make it. Will be a very good player. 21 year old, 20 game player

We need to trade in a quality experienced KPD in the Brennan Cox vain. If Butts goes down we are completely stuffed. We have the cap space and its a glaring weakness on our list. If we can find a free agent that will cost us nothing other than cap even better. Dawson can then play where we traded him in to play on the wing.
You should apply for a job in AFCs recruiting team. Would fit right in.

I think our midfield is not going to be as bad as some people think with Berry, Soligo, Schoenberg, Taylor for the future. We lack down back and in the forward half. The backend is where opposition puts the score on to beat us so we need a bit of quality down there. We also lack a quality small forward which hopefully we can nab Rankine. A decent KPD and a quality small forward will give us some decent bang for buck. If we could get another mid such as Hopper from GWS we should be set. We are going to have to trade out some players though.
That is a middling midfield. Need two A graders, one of which is elite. We have none.

No, we traded in Dawson and Doedee continued his poor form from last year.

Ideally both are firing and taking intercepts galore but Doedee has completely dropped the bundle and regressed. Some of it has been because he has been asked to be a second defender but the past few weeks he hasn't had this excuse.

Even if we are assuming they are like for like, Dawson is lightyears in front of Doedee at the moment. It is still a net win.

Seeds is irrelevant to the discussion. Dawson is a better HBF than he is a winger.

Imagine our kick outs with Doedee or Smith taking them instead of Dawson. We would never exit our back half. Kick outs have improved out of sight this year.

Play Dawson on the wing and just get him to take the kick outs. He usually gets to the next contest before the ball hits the deck anyway, so instruct him just to keep running for another 30m-50m or so.

That is a middling midfield. Need two A graders, one of which is elite. We have none.

Let's be real, we aren't going to trade in any established A graders so we have to rely on development. As it stands right now, your call is correct, but with the right development I see 3 potential A-graders and a Brownlow medallist on that list no worries.

Play Dawson on the wing and just get him to take the kick outs. He usually gets to the next contest before the ball hits the deck anyway, so instruct him just to keep running for another 30m-50m or so.
I'd agree with Dawson playing on a wing if our midfield was dynamic and could find him by hands for a release but with Laird and Keays just slamming it on the boot this is not possible. Also with Doedee and Smith not giving us anything we can't move him.

He's still a ways behind where he left off in those regards end of last season.
Agree, but at least his capability hasn’t totally disappeared, so I still think there’s a quality player in there

Need to give him a stretch of games to see if he can slowly build back to what we’ve seen in the past

Back