• James Rowe

• Harry Schoenberg

• Jake Soligo

• Brodie Smith

• Taylor Walker

• Riley Thilthorpe

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not Hately's fault, but he provides nothing close to the damaging play that we need from a wingman

Really need to find some Langdon-like outside class this off-season
Hately's a MID ....not a Wing

This has been established

Not all of them are AFL fit (and clearly Pedlar is a year behind in his fitness development for the AFL) and that's the point I'm making. If you are AFL fit it will give you the less chance of soft tissue injuries given the amount of work they put their body through. Am I speaking English here or are you just a troll and a bully?
So, once you've been an AFL player for a couple of years,played some matches and had a couple of preseasons, you should be pretty much ok and don't have to worry so much about soft tissue injuries anymore?

So, once you've been an AFL player for a couple of years,played some matches and had a couple of preseasons, you should be pretty much ok and don't have to worry so much about soft tissue injuries anymore?
Like I've already told you, it give you the best chance of not getting soft tissue injuries.....pepega.

Berry is leading the AFL for tackles. Loved his game and just needs to tidy up some of his kicking and become a bit more composed. That will come with experience.
I agree, except the kicking piece. If one can't kick and they're on an AFL list then there's a problem. Our recruiters seem to love good, hard, honest triers, but don't select those with exceptional or even slightly above average skills. TBH, I wish we'd have tried Tex in the midfield mix at some point (over the years)...clearly not as someone who breaks away with pace, but as the extractor - he's got the cleanest hands in our side, and rarely misses a target either by hand or foot. That's the sort of player we need to complement Berry. Hopefully the likes of Pedlar may fit the bill in future...

Like I've already told you, it give you the best chance of not getting soft tissue injuries.....pepega.
As someone that works in sports medicine you are correct , it takes a while for the body to adapt to loads

A few pre seasons and your ability to cope with loads without breaking down increases

On flip side towards end of your career you can start to breakdown as well

You didn't see Petracca's game, he was clearly the difference and we entered this season knowing the rebuild hasn't been completed and need another few years so nothing has changed. Just need to see improvement in the list which we have seen, very bullish on the youngsters coming through in the SANFL.

Watched the mini of the game, a number of times Laird was either scared or unwilling to take Petracca on and Petracca just runs off away from Laird.

As someone that works in sports medicine you are correct , it takes a while for the body to adapt to loads

A few pre seasons and your ability to cope with loads without breaking down increases

On flip side towards end of your career you can start to breakdown as well
Understandably given the strain you've put the soft tissues through out 10+ years.

Actually, yes, I did. He was BoG.

Please re-read my post whose point you've missed entirely, and don't tell me what I saw.
You said take Petracca and Oliver and put Gawn and Jackson and we would have still loss. So the point I was making is there is no way both Gawn and/or Jackson would have been as influential as Petracca was given their players were already reading ROB's tap anyway.

Hmm, so being "fit" leads to less likelihood of ST injuries? Fit, being a catch all term you're using here to define a general level of capacity to sustain an activity for a reasonable length of time.

It's an absurd statement when you're dealing with athletes at a similar level of performance. If it weren't absurd, you'd be seeing every second rookie pinging hammies and groins every week. There are so many factors at play influencing players susceptibility to ST injuries and at this level of the sport, "fitness" is a very minor one.

I'd agree with Dawson playing on a wing if our midfield was dynamic and could find him by hands for a release but with Laird and Keays just slamming it on the boot this is not possible. Also with Doedee and Smith not giving us anything we can't move him.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
We could easily play Worrell in defence for either Doedee or Smith... & still have Dawson off a wing.

We need to be thinking of the future not now survival mode.

Yep

We lack top end class to run with the big boys.

That was the difference today.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
We're very inexperienced ....we're choosing, as a result, to clog the play up, rather than open the game up

Our skill level currently, doesn't support opening the game up .....however, the in-tight game, also exposes our inexperience, lack of strength, and skills under pressure ......Tracca & Oliver showed how you play pressure footy & knowing where each other is, most times

Outside of great effort .....we're seeing individuals starting to improve

1. 30 x MELB DEF intercepts, says more about our mids fwd entries .....most are kick & hope, not to our fwds advantage. Also our KPF's are not great at reading the play ....MELB defenders read the play earlier, and reacted quicker than our talls ....this area should be a fwds key advantage over defenders

2. Our DEF by comparison are very poor ATM in reading the play in front of them .....too reactive, and either drop too many marks, or allow too many balls over the back .....confidence is a factor, fear of making a mistake is a factor

3. ROB is a very smart man .....he's a very dumb footballer
He's off-balance way too often for a bigman .....loses all his strength in the contest, by being off-balance

4. The pleasing aspect of recent games is the individual improvement of certain players

- Milera, is improving week on week
- Fogs , the penny has dropped ...and reinforces what I've been saying about having patience, talls in particular
- Hinge, with that great kick, height, and marking, is getting better each game ....still less than 20 games played
- Parnell, way too small, and gifting goals ....but doesn't drop his head, has great pace ....and a future
- Thilthorpe, very small steps ....but there's small advancements occurring to his game

5. Rachelle is the perfect example of confidence ....comes in R1, with massive confidence levels, having been hyped up during the National Draft period ...and he played on that adrenaline
Now, after struggling in a few games ....the confidence bubble has been burst, the swagger gone .....and with confidence disappeared, so has his zip

6. Schoenberg, just write the year off ....prepared poorly ...needs to go back & re-evaluate
Just fumbling too many balls

7. Been on the back of Smith's for 6 weeks ....getting paid under false pretences ....this game was actually one of his better efforts this year

I LIKE Soligo !

You said take Petracca and Oliver and put Gawn and Jackson and we would have still loss.
Nope.
I said take out Petracca and Oliver and replace them with mids of our quality, then add Gawn and Jackson (who would have killed ROB around the ground).

It's all hypotheticals/speculation, anyway.
We lost. Melbourne are much better than us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're very inexperienced ....we're choosing, as a result, to clog the play up, rather than open the game up

Our skill level currently, doesn't support opening the game up .....however, the in-tight game, also exposes our inexperience, lack of strength, and skills under pressure ......Tracca & Oliver showed how you play pressure footy & knowing where each other is, most times

Outside of great effort .....we're seeing individuals starting to improve

1. 30 x MELB DEF intercepts, says more about our mids fwd entries .....most are kick & hope, not to our fwds advantage. Also our KPF's are not great at reading the play ....MELB defenders read the play earlier, and reacted quicker than our talls ....this area should be a fwds key advantage over defenders

2. Our DEF by comparison are very poor ATM in reading the play in front of them .....too reactive, and either drop too many marks, or allow too many balls over the back .....confidence is a factor, fear of making a mistake is a factor

3. ROB is a very smart man .....he's a very dumb footballer
He's off-balance way too often for a bigman .....loses all his strength in the contest, by being off-balance

4. The pleasing aspect of recent games is the individual improvement of certain players

- Milera, is improving week on week
- Fogs , the penny has dropped ...and reinforces what I've been saying about having patience, talls in particular
- Hinge, with that great kick, height, and marking, is getting better each game ....still less than 20 games played
- Parnell, way too small, and gifting goals ....but doesn't drop his head, has great pace ....and a future
- Thilthorpe, very small steps ....but there's small advancements occurring to his game

5. Rachelle is the perfect example of confidence ....comes in R1, with massive confidence levels, having been hyped up during the National Draft period ...and he played on that adrenaline
Now, after struggling in a few games ....the confidence bubble has been burst, the swagger gone .....and with confidence disappeared, so has his zip

6. Schoenberg, just write the year off ....prepared poorly ...needs to go back & re-evaluate
Just fumbling too many balls

7. Been on the back of Smith's for 6 weeks ....getting paid under false pretences ....this game was actually one of his better efforts this year

I LIKE Soligo !
As drugs posted earlier Schoenberg had a pretty decent impact on game considering lowish possession count … Clearances , tackles etc . His clearances are more effective than most of our other guys too

I think he can finish season well, add that burst forward out of midfield and set himself up for next year

As drugs posted earlier Schoenberg had a pretty decent impact on game considering lowish possession count … Clearances , tackles etc . His clearances are more effective than most of our other guys too

I think he can finish season well, add that burst forward out of midfield and set himself up for next year
Hope you're right

We need to persist with him Berry Soligo getting time in there with keays and laird

Ideally Hately would go in there too or not play as don’t think he’s a wing
Too small a Midfield ....need Hately in, or another tallish Mid

We're still getting pushed off the ball, too often .....we have to be one of the smallest midfields in the AFL ....not just height, but also weight

Hmm, so being "fit" leads to less likelihood of ST injuries? Fit, being a catch all term you're using here to define a general level of capacity to sustain an activity for a reasonable length of time.

It's an absurd statement when you're dealing with athletes at a similar level of performance. If it weren't absurd, you'd be seeing every second rookie pinging hammies and groins every week. There are so many factors at play influencing players susceptibility to ST injuries and at this level of the sport, "fitness" is a very minor one.
Pedlar is year behind and there is no doubt some players have different fitness attribute, I'll dare say even Turner who has a more mature body is more AFL fit than Pedlar so Turner's has a better chance of not getting soft tissue injuries.

Nope.
I said take out Petracca and Oliver and replace them with mids of our quality, then add Gawn and Jackson (who would have killed ROB around the ground).

It's all hypotheticals/speculation, anyway.
We lost. Melbourne are much better than us.
Well, they are top of the ladder and outright premiership favourite so of course they are much better than us. If you replaced them with mids of our quality then this will even out the midfield battle so Gawn and/or Jackson would have had to be as influential as Oliver and especially Petracca. Both ROB and Thilthorpe have the agility to match Gawn and Jackson around the ground and in the air so they wouldn't have made that much difference to this aspect of the ruck battle and since their players were already reading ROB's tap anyway, let alone been the difference of 10 goals you've incorrectly implied if they had played......very poorly thoughted hypotheticals and assumptions you've made there.

let alone been the difference of 10 goals you've incorrectly implied if they had played......very poorly thoughted hypotheticals and assumptions you've made there.
Utter nonsense. WHAT 10 goals did I imply, "incorrectly".

Do not tell me what I "saw".
Do read the words of my posts (or not at all).
Do not criticise implications you think I have made ie do not put words on my mouth and run off at a tangent based on what you think I've said. Maybe ask me what I meant, instead?
That would be polite and enable interesting discussion.

You asked another poster:
Am I speaking English here or are you just a troll and a bully?
Ask yourself why you cop so much derisive flak in here; you're throwing stones from a very fragile, glass house.

With respect to you, you're wasting your time, as am I.

Trying to provoke interesting discussion using logic doesn't work on that one.

We could easily play Worrell in defence for either Doedee or Smith... & still have Dawson off a wing.

We need to be thinking of the future not now survival mode.
Playing Dawson back is a clear part of Nicks' let's-lose-by-as-little-as-possible strategy.

In public, he'd probably say that a string of big losses affects negatively young players' development; in private, he might admit that smaller losses look better on his resume.

Back