Preview Round 17, 2022: St.Kilda v Fremantle - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 9th July, 7:25PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • Dockers

Votes: 22 40.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If play like Friday we can roll them

I think we can still improve on Fridays game as well

We seem to play them well. I think we are a huge chance this week.

Agree Highmore has to play

Freo have a couple of good quick smalls, just worry about them a bit

What sucks about that is that Joyce has probably been the second most consistent player at Sandy all year after Highmore. Both deserve a go. I think size match ups might give Darragh the nod but we've left him out before I guess.

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
Veteran St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2023 10k Posts St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2022 St Kilda - James Frawley Player Sponsor 2021 Saints Pledge Contributor St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019
May 19, 2013
I was going to add to my last post but left it as is but what I was going to say is I think we have players that may be taller but can play on smalls. Paton is the obvious matchup for smalls but I reckon Wilkie & Webster both can play on those types.

When we beat them in Round 2 the backline was named as;

Wilkie - Battle - Joyce
Sinclair - McKenzie - Webster
Hill on a wing

Kept Walters to 8 disposals and a goal and Colyer the only small who kicked multiple goals (2 from 12 touches).

I think we have a better selection of players to pick from this week. From the last time we met we can bring in Paton & Highmore. Think we go in with a stronger backline this week than we did back then
Yep,
Wilkie will at very worst break even with who ever he plays on
Battle will give everything and make life hard for the other tall
Highmore intercepting and coming across to help Wilkie & Battle
With our tallest Back being 194cm it will be a team effort from defenders and if the midfield can get on top that will help out hugely

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
What sucks about that is that Joyce has probably been the second most consistent player at Sandy all year after Highmore. Both deserve a go. I think size match ups might give Darragh the nod but we've left him out before I guess.
I don’t see a major issue with Joyce replacing Howard and Highmore replacing Clark. It’s not like Hunter is quick so Highmore might actually be quicker than him. He’s definitely quicker than Wilkie.

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
Veteran St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2023 10k Posts St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2022 St Kilda - James Frawley Player Sponsor 2021 Saints Pledge Contributor St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019
May 19, 2013
Joyce only 1 cm taller then Highmore & Battle
But has bigger frame

Yep,
With our tallest Back being 194cm it will be a team effort from defenders and if the midfield can get on top that will help out hugely

Melbourne use their wings dropping back to allow them to free an intercept defender from zoning duties. Sydney seem to do that with Mc Cartin the other week.

I don’t see a major issue with Joyce replacing Howard and Highmore replacing Clark. It’s not like Hunter is quick so Highmore might actually be quicker than him. He’s definitely quicker than Wilkie.

He looks smaller than he is too. He's 2 cm taller than Wilkie but doesn't move like a tall despite his aerial superiority.

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
May 19, 2013
Melbourne use their wings dropping back to allow them to free an intercept defender from zoning duties. Sydney seem to do that with Mc Cartin the other week.
I think that is why wood and Dmac have been good they work back hard to help out

Joyce for Howard
Dmac or Owens for Clark
Butler should be ok to play

Joyce only 1 cm taller then Highmore & Battle
But has bigger frame

Yeah, he has more physical presence. He moves well too, I'm looking forward to seeing him get an extended run. He's been unlucky during his career.

St Kilda Death

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NOLA
Lobb 206 Darugu 194
Taberner 197 Battle 193
Logue 193 Highmore 193
Colyer 177 Wilkie 191
Shultz 177 Webster 188
Walters 175 Sinclair 181

Important to get forward/mid pressure to slow their transition, we don’t want them kicking to 1 on 1s.
They have us on foot speed too so important if we go in with that many medium talls that they are intercepting not letting it hit the deck.

Think we stretch their backline in similar fashion so will be won/lost in the middle.

St Kilda Death

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NOLA
Correct me if I’m wrong but from watching limited amount of freo I thought they tend to use a slow switch across half back and move it mark kick to the forward line.?
If so that is a style we seem to derail well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
So we get the top 4 team Fremantle again and we haven’t even played west coast yet who Richmond are playing for the second time today! Pretty much explains why they are in the 8 and we aren’t
But we got Richmond and Freo before they got up. Lucky bounce indeed!

Yep,
I reckon we are a big chance this week if we come with the same energy we did on Friday night. Our next four are actually all winnable, if we want it enough we win them all and qualify for finals. Really up to us and what St.Kilda turns up on the day

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
May 19, 2013
I reckon we are a big chance this week if we come with the same energy we did on Friday night. Our next four are actually all winnable, if we want it enough we win them all and qualify for finals. Really up to us and what St.Kilda turns up on the day
If we play like Friday we will win a few, if we play like the Essendon & Swans games we will win none

Up to how much the players want it

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Is tabaner out next week? If so don’t play Joyce. We will be to tall in the backline. Or if they are worried about the height of lobb does highmore again miss out.

RBW_007

Club Legend
Jan 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Indianapolis Colts
What's the chances that Serong goes for this?

ezgif-5-99c23d1e11.gif

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
May 19, 2013

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
Is tabaner out next week? If so don’t play Joyce. We will be to tall in the backline. Or if they are worried about the height of lobb does highmore again miss out.
What happened to Taberner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back