What do you expect of the Federal ALP?

Remove this Banner Ad

In the past the deplorables decided elections, hence the effectiveness of ‘gaslighting’. I feel this election saw engaged voters come into play, through community based independents. The drop in blind support for LNP, Labor and Hanson augers well for the future.
The community led rise of the Teals is a massive problem for the Liberals.

The Liberals basically rely on an unengaged and indifferent electorate slurping up headlines from Murdoch and Co.

The Teals are door knocking these people, engaging them and opening their minds just a little. Admittedly it is to a very small part of Australia so far but how do they expand it? And what happens if they do?

What the Teals stand for is for the most part what Australia wants. Economically conservative, socially progressive.

It is going to be very interesting how Labor deal with it. Liberals are already going further right sans Morrison's proposed marketing arm.

A revealing take on the challenges/hurdles:

Labor won the election and, even before all the votes were counted, stormed into office vowing to be working from day one.

Among the first things it did was make a submission to the Fair Work Commission on the minimum wage. What came next was a classic case of wanting your political cake and eating it too.

The trouble is, inflation could be much worse than 5.1 per cent by the time the new minimum wage takes force.
Treasurer Jim Chalmers all but predicted that when he spoke after the Reserve Bank of Australia raised the cash rate by 0.5 per cent — its biggest single jump in decades.
"It is the universal expectation across economists, the government and the Reserve Bank that this inflation challenge will get harder before it gets easier," Mr Chalmers said.

Labor backed the Coalition's halving of the fuel excise in the March budget. Both sides in the lead up to the election insisted it was a six-month measure and the full tax would be reapplied to the prices in September, when they hoped prices would be cheaper.
Three months since that decision, prices are back above $2 a litre, showing few signs of cooling any time soon.
The thing about fuel prices is that you can't miss them. Even when you're not buying petrol, the price is literally up in lights, reminding you just how expensive life is.

It's little wonder it took 13 years to reverse the last "temporary" change made to fuel excise in 2001.

After all, as the adage goes, your worst day in government is still better than your best day in opposition.

It is hilarious the delight conservatives are taking in the cluster * they have left the new Labor government.

One day Australians will get it. Conservatives are freewheelers, front runners, they are downhill skiers. As soon as the going gets tough they disappear.

They are devoid of ideas and incapable of solutions.

Hopefully Labor can clean up another monumental Liberal mess.

your not making much sense here.

in terms of who decides the change..............we have a self assessment concept with tax returns. So the decision is the tax payer.

we have also discussed your confusion by considering income, so need need to discuss further other than repeat it is not relevant. In terms of your example of $250k change in value.........IT IS NOT RELEVANT. What is relevant for a wealth tax is the remaining $750k.

In regards to write downs, we already have rules on valuation of assets that are not market value as per the links provided previously.

You seem to be getting very excited, in your confused state. Perhaps focus on the relevant issues at hand and consider the existing tax framework for guidance before asking silly questions over and over.

So I can drop the value of my painting by $250k no questions asked. Cool.
Even better I only have to pay your wealth tax on $750k not $1m.

Maybe I will decrease the value of my painting by $999k and only pay your wealth tax on $1000.

Maybe I will decrease the value of my painting by $999k and only pay your wealth tax on $1000.

again you're confused

what are the rules in current wealth taxes such as stamp duty on property relating to transfers that are not market or orchestrated?

what are some sensible and simple solutions?

again you're confused

what are the rules in current wealth taxes such as stamp duty on property relating to transfers that are not market or orchestrated?

what are some sensible and simple solutions?

You're getting emotinal again.
Relax.
Take a deep breath.

Stamp duty is premised on a transaction. ie a market value.
As is all of the current regimes you have referenced.

Perhaps it's just me, but I would have thought that in order to tax wealth the first step is to determine the value of that wealth.

I think the Liberals should embrace nuclear energy as a clear point of difference from Labor. They need a strong and decisive advertising campaign as the Greens will be screaming up and down the country, scaring the wits out of the population. The Liberals will be helped if power bills start skyrocketing, but they need to do their homework thoroughly.

I don’t agree that referenda should be linked to elections. It’s too easy for people to think they should vote on party political lines, rather than follow their conscience.

No tampering with the constitution! It was created by wiser heads than exist even today.

I don’t trust the states to administer a government home loan system. Six different systems, creating bureaucracies, fees and charges… we’ve seen what happens when the premiers start competing with each other. The superannuation scheme was superior, and simpler.

It would sound like more than a slogan if they’d…ya know…..done something in 9 years in power

You're getting emotinal again.
Relax.
Take a deep breath.

Stamp duty is premised on a transaction. ie a market value.
As is all of the current regimes you have referenced.

Perhaps it's just me, but I would have thought that in order to tax wealth the first step is to determine the value of that wealth.

Yes you have answered your own question by looking at established tax frameworks…….Market value is the most appropriate

Can you think of the best controls to avoid manipulation?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The community led rise of the Teals is a massive problem for the Liberals.

The Liberals basically rely on an unengaged and indifferent electorate slurping up headlines from Murdoch and Co.

The Teals are door knocking these people, engaging them and opening their minds just a little. Admittedly it is to a very small part of Australia so far but how do they expand it? And what happens if they do?

What the Teals stand for is for the most part what Australia wants. Economically conservative, socially progressive.

It is going to be very interesting how Labor deal with it. Liberals are already going further right sans Morrison's proposed marketing arm.
In my opinion, the Teals will be fairly well entrenched in the seats they have won but that is about it for them.

These "Teals" are the "wets" of the Liberal Party who have always been part of those blue riband seats and the Liberal Party deserted them when Howard started the purge of the "small l's", Abbott continued flailing them, Turnbull couldn't give a f**k about large or small l's so long as he was Prime Minister and then Morrison, he just completely wiped them out.

It takes a hell of a lot of money, organisation and time to get a Political Party off the ground and put them in a position where they could get the numbers in the House of Representatives to be in contention to form Government and the Teals, for all intents and purposes, are the Greens wing of the Liberal Party, so to speak, and when renewables and carbon reductions are a permanent part of the landscape, their is no way that they can win over those middle, lower/middle electorates because of their very nature, that is, their in-built opposition to labour!

These are anti-labour people don't forget and those that voted for them are also anti-labour but they felt betrayed by the Liberal Party because the Liberal Party went full bore to the right; decidedly anti small "l" liberal as well as anti-labour.

Let's just suppose for one moment that the Teals doubled their seats at the next election or two. It's odds on that the seats they would pick up would be current Liberal seats and that would completely and utterly destroy the Liberal party once and for all. What could well end up happening is that the current Liberal Party will end up changing it's name to the Australian Conservatives or such like and the "Teals", if they were to become an association, would call themselves whatever.

The ALP, to answer your question/comment, "It is going to be very interesting how Labor deal with it" have the massive advantage of being the incumbent Party and if they just go about doing what is in the best interests of Australia in general and not for a small section of the electorate, à la the Liberal party, then the Teals are no danger to the ALP, indeed, they are God's little helpers in destroying the Liberals even further.

The "vibe" I am getting from those I come across, especially the younger ones as well as the middle age types, is that they have really warmed to Albanese - they like him but don't see him as a marshmallow. The matter-of-fact way he and the ALP Ministers are going about their tasks at hand are in huge contrast to the spin, spin and more spin of the incompetent previous Government and I am quite sure the electorate is really appreciative.

In my opinion, the Teals will be fairly well entrenched in the seats they have won but that is about it for them.

These "Teals" are the "wets" of the Liberal Party who have always been part of those blue riband seats and the Liberal Party deserted them when Howard started the purge of the "small l's", Abbott continued flailing them, Turnbull couldn't give a f**k about large or small l's so long as he was Prime Minister and then Morrison, he just completely wiped them out.

It takes a hell of a lot of money, organisation and time to get a Political Party off the ground and put them in a position where they could get the numbers in the House of Representatives to be in contention to form Government and the Teals, for all intents and purposes, are the Greens wing of the Liberal Party, so to speak, and when renewables and carbon reductions are a permanent part of the landscape, their is no way that they can win over those middle, lower/middle electorates because of their very nature, that is, their in-built opposition to labour!

These are anti-labour people don't forget and those that voted for them are also anti-labour but they felt betrayed by the Liberal Party because the Liberal Party went full bore to the right; decidedly anti small "l" liberal as well as anti-labour.

Let's just suppose for one moment that the Teals doubled their seats at the next election or two. It's odds on that the seats they would pick up would be current Liberal seats and that would completely and utterly destroy the Liberal party once and for all. What could well end up happening is that the current Liberal Party will end up changing it's name to the Australian Conservatives or such like and the "Teals", if they were to become an association, would call themselves whatever.

The ALP, to answer your question/comment, "It is going to be very interesting how Labor deal with it" have the massive advantage of being the incumbent Party and if they just go about doing what is in the best interests of Australia in general and not for a small section of the electorate, à la the Liberal party, then the Teals are no danger to the ALP, indeed, they are God's little helpers in destroying the Liberals even further.

The "vibe" I am getting from those I come across, especially the younger ones as well as the middle age types, is that they have really warmed to Albanese - they like him but don't see him as a marshmallow. The matter-of-fact way he and the ALP Ministers are going about their tasks at hand are in huge contrast to the spin, spin and more spin of the incompetent previous Government and I am quite sure the electorate is really appreciative.
If Labor fix this energy crisis the momentum will be unstoppable.

It is going to take a bit of fixing having said that - all these energy companies are used to putting their hands out and being handed whatever they want by Morrison and Co.

What I expect FOR the Federal ALP is the continuation of the biased daily diatribe of confected outrage & lies to be heaped on the ALP by the Murdock mindless ones.

Attacking as they do, the ALP FOR the political garbage & incompetence put out by the previous Government.

They are baying at the moon each evening to entertain their faux outraged audience. All totally wrapped up in their made up ideological & cultural absurdities. ie ignorant of reality & exactly who is responsible for the last decade which has led us to this point.

Thank you.

:cool:

If Labor fix this energy crisis the momentum will be unstoppable.

It is going to take a bit of fixing having said that - all these energy companies are used to putting their hands out and being handed whatever they want by Morrison and Co.
In our current state of being in the midst of an energy crisis, the energy companies have no sympathy whatsoever from the electorate I would surmise and this is a perfect opportunity to get in there with the jack boots and kick their f****ng heads in - Australians will love it and even the State's Premiers are up for it.

The Federal ALP need to wrest back into the public hands as much of our resources, energy production and distribution as possible and wipe out as may of the parasites ie. the "middle men", as possible.

The reality is that further marginalises the population on the basis of religion. It works in Islamic countries on the basis of Islam being the prevailing culture embedded within the government systems. That won’t work here
I thought the proposal was the style/ model of government ownership rather than being based on the religion (ie just using the system from the religion without the religious connotations) must admit I don't know much about how it would work.

I'm not sure Islamic banking is as Islamic is you may think. Christian Banking is/ was also based on the exact same rules.

Further the alternative we have is Jewish Banking..........so either way, banking systems have had influence from one or more religions in history.

Let's see if it works or not. Let the market decide.

What is certain is it is a far better system than social housing, as the people who live in the property will look after it if they have a financial interest in it. We need 10s of thousands more social housing and perhaps this is the way to achieve it and the pathway out of it!
let the market decide is part of the reason housing prices are stratospheric. Too many investors in existing builds.

new industry of independent auditors to carry out valuations of items.
will lead to complaints of "bloated bureaucracy" and increase in disputes where valuations are challenged via legal appeal mechanisms
danger that you would end up spending more on legal fees than actual generated revenue for assets which are not easy to value

Shares and bank accounts/ managed funds are easy, property - house and land - harder but doable (could use council valuations for rates which tend to under value but I don't believe get challenged much) but its valuable bespoke items like jewelry, paintings/ art, cars etc which would be very difficult

Yes you have answered your own question by looking at established tax frameworks…….Market value is the most appropriate

Can you think of the best controls to avoid manipulation?
but stamp duty is easy to determine the market value as a transaction has just occurred. while the wealth tax should not just blindly rely on the last transaction (thats where my thought re council valuation comes in, but am open to other ideas)

It is hilarious the delight conservatives are taking in the cluster * they have left the new Labor government.

One day Australians will get it. Conservatives are freewheelers, front runners, they are downhill skiers. As soon as the going gets tough they disappear.

They are devoid of ideas and incapable of solutions.

Hopefully Labor can clean up another monumental Liberal mess.
For them 'pwning tEh LeFt' is all that matters.
Any actual policy or change is a distant 2nd.

Some good ideas in here.

I want an ICAC with teeth, and somehow to be protected from dismantling / reducing it's power (eventually Australia will vote the LNP in, and they will dismantle it)

I'd also like a real, proper, FTTP, NBN.

Reserve energy resources for domestic use a la WA at the federal level.

ICAC with teeth.

NBN fixed.

2nd term: tax reform.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back