Autopsy 2-men down on the bench Brions spank Dogs 108-67

Remove this Banner Ad

Naughton lost points because the two goals that he kicked were on the goalline (ie doesn't any points for accurate goalkicking) whilst losing bulk negative points for missing thrre other shots at goal. He only also had 4 contested possessions total where this points system doesm't give you any points for an uncontested possessions. Of course an "uncontested" possession inside the attacking half isn't uncontested in the same way a kicn across half back or a handball received is uncontested, but that's how they've credited his possessions given the binary choice of uncontested/contested.

It's really not that surprising. For instance think of some of the behinds he's kicked. Given that the "expected score" of a bloke free in possession 60m from goal should be greater than one behind, the fact that Naughton's involvement caused a net result of only one behind shouldn'5 that controversial that he's subsequently getting points taken away.
Thanks. That explains the points system but doesn’t justify in my mind the conclusion that he was worst on ground.

Really good sides just win and they keep winning, only mentally weak sides need to lose and be in a last gasp scenario each week before they spark into action.
This 100%.
They're supposed to be competitive beasts playing sport at the highest level, where is the self motivation?? Why do they need the coach to spin some new fairytale for them to perform year to year? Serious question marks on the mental aptitude and strength of this group.

This 100%.
They're supposed to be competitive beasts playing sport at the highest level, where is the self motivation?? Why do they need the coach to spin some new fairytale for them to perform year to year? Serious question marks on the mental aptitude and strength of this group.
Rot starts at the top, when your head coach has to sook about every single minor inconvenience possible and act as if everyone’s out to get us - when we’re all playing to the same rules - it’d be easy for that mindset to spread throughout the group.

Plus every good side lacks in application every now and then but the great sides scrap through games were they play poor but their system gets them through - melbournes had a had of performances this year where they just haven’t been on but they get it done. Whereas we employ a game plan that requires 110% application every single minute of every game and if you’re even a touch off everything breaks down. No easy wins for us

Rot starts at the top, when your head coach has to sook about every single minor inconvenience possible and act as if everyone’s out to get us - when we’re all playing to the same rules - it’d be easy for that mindset to spread throughout the group.

Plus every good side lacks in application every now and then but the great sides scrap through games were they play poor but their system gets them through - melbournes had a had of performances this year where they just haven’t been on but they get it done. Whereas we employ a game plan that requires 110% application every single minute of every game and if you’re even a touch off everything breaks down. No easy wins for us
The interview at half time trying to not bitch about the umpires was hilarious

This 100%.
I think it just comes down to game plan. Watching the top teams they launch there attack from intercept defenders, quite often playing an additional player Back and move the ball quickly to an open forward Line. The top teams play smarter football. We on the other hand play an aggressive zone that good teams can easily penetrate and leave our defenders in a vulnerable position to the disadvantage of the their forward.

Our players are playing with 1 hand tied behind their back, playing an outdated game plan which good teams pick apart. The only way we can be competitive is with total midfield dominance.

The interview at half time trying to not bitch about the umpires was hilarious
Whether he’s right or wrong he just needs to learn to keep his mouth shut, it’s getting to the point of embarrassing - he may have the right intentions but all he’s doing is drawing negative attention to the club.

Whether it’s the soft cap (that every team is working with), Journalists out to cheat, Naughtys treatment or the umps when we usually get a good run, all valid points but just *ing get on with it, and if that’s too much for him then maybe he needs to take a break from the industry for a few years - that’d be in everyone’s best interests at this stage, his especially

We’re all “professionals” at something. Football players are a group of people just like us. They’re not perfect, logical robots who exist for the sole purpose of putting a ball through big sticks.

When a CEO who gets paid $1m pa has an 80% effort day they don’t get scrutinised. It’s normal behaviour. We’re not at our peak all the time. Sometimes we have weeks or months where things don’t go so well. There isn’t a magic fix that ever solve this. All clubs have Achilles heel issues with game plan, personnel, professionalism, work ethic etc. it’s a remarkably average issue

After watching the game again (😳), two points from me:

Caleb Daniel is our backline organiser. His absence hurts us badly. Go back and watch the game again and you'll understand how important he is.

Dom Bedendo is a confident, athletic and, at times, agressive footballer with a bit of leadership about him. Yes, he was quiet in the second half, but so was everyone else. Looking forward to watching him develop. Hoping he stays in the side from now on.

Last edited:
Thanks. That explains the points system but doesn’t justify in my mind the conclusion that he was worst on ground.
It was a great explanation of a shitty system.
This 100%.
Welcome to the club. It was started in 2017.

We’re all “professionals” at something. Football players are a group of people just like us. They’re not perfect, logical robots who exist for the sole purpose of putting a ball through big sticks.

When a CEO who gets paid $1m pa has an 80% effort day they don’t get scrutinised. It’s normal behaviour. We’re not at our peak all the time. Sometimes we have weeks or months where things don’t go so well. There isn’t a magic fix that ever solve this. All clubs have Achilles heel issues with game plan, personnel, professionalism, work ethic etc. it’s a remarkably average issue
CEO's don't go to work 22 days a year.

CEO's don't go to work 22 days a year.
Nor do footballers.

Or to turn the analogy another way, CEOs might have no more than 22 days a year where their performance is critical. An “off day” on one of those might have significant impact on the fortunes of their company.

Don't buy this at all. Other Bevo coached teams have been the epitome of mental toughness. Not logical to think he's changed when he's actually the constant. The last few years has seen key leaders leave and the current group are severely lacking.

Slack off at training or lifting weights. In a game effort should be 100%. I'd expect the same in any profession. Can accept mistakes or errors when the intent is there but to not give everything, is something I can't agree with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The review on first crack on our defensive structures across the park is ****ing embarassing. The way we have abandoned pressuring the ball carrier and allowing easy chip kicks out of forward 50 is a s**t show.
I think all the key indicators now show this to be the case - how long will it take to rectify?

I love the idea of Bevo trying to innovate - absolutely no issues with doing something different to the rest of the pack but geez I think it’s obvious now isn’t it that we got this one wrong? Fix the ******* issue now,

I cannot believe we’ve wasted a whole season because of this - absolutely zero doubt we’re locked into finals and potentially top 4 without this bs, it’s been our biggest issue from round 1

The review on first crack on our defensive structures across the park is ****ing embarassing. The way we have abandoned pressuring the ball carrier and allowing easy chip kicks out of forward 50 is a s**t show.

Yuk. Yeah, personnel isn't going to fix that.

Need some come to jesus meetings in this offseason on how we've approached this year.

Agree ""stupid territory concession on the mark""

Should follow Geelong's lead -- pressure on the ball carrier at all times
Its a bizarre tactic. The rest of our game plan is built on pressuring the ball carrier - that why our defenders play so far in front of their opponent, yet when theres a mark or free kick we back right off and give them an extra 5m metres and all the time in the world

While I agree that the Fox clip is unacceptable the fact it contained no score, or time makes me think that it was late when the game was over. Is it a surprise that humans get disappointed, perform worse and break down when fatigued? Was the previous 30 seconds each of those players sprinting 200m to another contest? Were they completely gassed? Discipline wise there is no doubt it's poor though all clubs every week have these same clips shown during review. Win, loss or draw. Also seeing Kane Cornes talking about us is just bloody annoying.

I don't think we have an effort problem. Maybe an unpopular opinion but besides the obvious lack of KPP, our player leadership and on-field direction/chemistry just isn't good. Bont and Jacko are not hard and ruthless enough as leaders. Amazing players but both are ideal as VC with someone older as the leader. Need to expect more from their team mates to get the best out of them.

now that the media is onto the failings of the outside 5 tactic, bevo will keep it indefinitely out of pride.

as silly as that sounds...its true (see ruck situation 2017-present as precedent)

Don't buy this at all. Other Bevo coached teams have been the epitome of mental toughness. Not logical to think he's changed when he's actually the constant. The last few years has seen key leaders leave and the current group are severely lacking.
It’s largely the same group - no Bevo hasn’t changed but it’s now tiresome, I’m sick of it I can’t imagine how the players feel.

I know you’re keen to put the blame for this year entirely on the players application, or lack of it, like you’ve mentioned a few times - I agree they’re partly responsible but I just fail to see how anyone couldn’t agree that the seasons failure comes down to coaching.

Individually if you look at our year Naughty and English have had career best seasons in key roles. Baz, & arguably Dunks & Libba career best years in the middle, Macrae as consistent as ever, Bont down from his best but still better than most - Treloar a real poor couple of games but was flying before then. Cody & West putting in big games, Dale on track for AA in the backline and career best years for Ed and Gards (but admittedly still a poor level for Gards)

Keath, Williams & Daniel the only good players who have gone drastically backwards on their best - and we’ve of course missed Bruce. If it’s players application you’ve got an issue with then it’s a problem with the bottom end of the squads application - and that’s the non negotiable they have to bring, which they don’t enough.

I’m not rushing to blame the players when our top end talent dragging us across the line is the only reason we’re still alive in this season. When they’ve had to carry a number of s**t players week to week (partly team selection partly injuries), battle undersized with a shitty chop & change structure week to week, and are up against it with a game plan & defensive system which is probably a laughing stock in the eyes of the top clubs right now.

The players are not the issue here

It’s just 1 part of our failings this season, but the fact that we have persisted with it must be the most frustrating about it.

These are 3 of my own posts from 3 different games and doesn’t include what I’ve said out loud lol

Post in thread 'Dogs V The Bitter and Twisted Swans 31/3/2022'
Game Day - Dogs V The Bitter and Twisted Swans 31/3/2022

Post in thread 'Round 9: Pies v Dogs'
Game Day - Round 9: Pies v Dogs

Post in thread 'Western Bulldogs vs Gold Coast Suns | MARS Stadium | 1:45pm AEST'
Game Day - Western Bulldogs vs Gold Coast Suns | MARS Stadium | 1:45pm AEST

Nor do footballers.

Or to turn the analogy another way, CEOs might have no more than 22 days a year where their performance is critical. An “off day” on one of those might have significant impact on the fortunes of their company.
Or...CEO's have two hundred or more days per year where an 80% effort would be considered unacceptable. AFL footballers do not work anywhere near as many hours or days per year as the CEO of a major company and an 80% effort on the majority of days for AFL footballers would probably be un-noticed (except for game days.)

Its a bizarre tactic. The rest of our game plan is built on pressuring the ball carrier - that why our defenders play so far in front of their opponent, yet when theres a mark or free kick we back right off and give them an extra 5m metres and all the time in the world
Fremantle were doing it yesterday and look what happened… oh, wait

Remove this Banner Ad

Back