Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
The US was fun when I was younger and I went backpacking there a few times. These days it doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. Would much rather go to Europe and see all the historical architecture.

Does US gun culture unsettle anyone?
I went for first time 2017 various places and didn't see a gun other than what the police at the airport had. Didn't bother me but could understand it potentially affecting others

Texas scared me as it was obvious to see who was packing heat.

My main concern was my Western Victorian slightly ocker bogan accent would result in them shooting me first and asking questions later.

On the flip side going to an Uncle Dick's with my Uncle and getting to hold/feel/touch and look at the array of weaponry any Joe Blow can get off the street was both enlightening and frightening

BStaff17

Premiership Player
Aug 1, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
This time next week i will be in LA.

Everyone tells me it's a shithole so I have really low expectations of LA. The rest of it I am excited though.

Before travelling across the country (Vegas, Grand Canyon, Durango, Santa Fe, Amarillo, Dallas, Memphis, New Orleans, Panama City Beach, Orlando and Miami)

Any good tips for those cities

HigginsHawk

All Australian
Jun 10, 2005
Kippax
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Belconnen/Nth Hobart

Everyone tells me it's a shithole so I have really low expectations of LA. The rest of it I am excited though.

Before travelling across the country (Vegas, Grand Canyon, Durango, Santa Fe, Amarillo, Dallas, Memphis, New Orleans, Panama City Beach, Orlando and Miami)

Dallas - Dealey Plaza and the Book Store depository are quite moving. Also the George W Bush presidential library is a way to spend a half a day. I enjoyed the Fort Worth stcokyards if you get a chance to go over there.

New Orleans - walking tours are pretty good. Driving in NOLA is ridicoulous. Take a look at the cemetries, the Hurricane Katrina museum and ride a trolley bus somewhere but food and entertainment are the mainstay. Try the French Quarter instead of Bourbon st for Blues/Jazz if that's your go. Insanely good food pretty much everywhere. For something cheap try Brothers Food Mart for their fried chicken. Best I've ever had.

Enjoy your trip.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

eat as much mexican as you can - * its delicious, especially food trucks or takeaway joints

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

What area are you staying?

Avoid downtown unless you are seeing a concert or sporting event.

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Is this a contiki?

Sunset Strip, Hollywood, Griffith Observatory and the beaches are great.

Downtown in the day make sure you go to City Hall for the free view (on the 26th floor) is awesome and Grand Central market (food heaven)

Grammy Museum is also a good spot to visit and the Staples center

After dark be careful get an UBER.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I went for first time 2017 various places and didn't see a gun other than what the police at the airport had. Didn't bother me but could understand it potentially affecting others
It didnt scare me but especially in the south i was aware of it.

I preferred LA and SF to NYC and Boston personally. Venice Beach, Santa Monica, Griffith Observatory, Beverly Hills and in and around Anaheim were cool IMO. I think its more of a touristy city, i imagine living there would be tough unless you were absolutely loaded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah I am travelling by myself so figured was best way to go. Especially never been to the states before which I have been told is chalk and cheese to Europe.

Yeah I thought so mate. I actually did pretty much that tour (it was New Orleans - Los Angeles) so can fill you in a heap on a lot of stuff.

Not trying to put a dampener on it but you do spend a * load of time traveling on the bus obviously. There was a stretch for 3 or 4 days where it was pretty much hop on the bus in the morning, get to the city late arvo/night, have dinner and some beers, sleep for a bit, back on the bus. Which is actually pretty tough but you get through it. The biggest tip I'd have is just making the most of every chance you get to sightsee, or do anything that is different to anything you've done before.

Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We never had an issue in 2 trips and to be honest never thought about it .

Our friends went over a few months after us, first day they got mugged at gun point in DC . Really rattled them , didnt enjoy the trip and wont go back .

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide

Never feel threatened in all my visits to USA however in saying that most of my visits have been to my friends in Boston plus NYC, LA and Vegas.

Have deliberately stayed away from Texas - don’t trust the mother*ers.

HigginsHawk

All Australian
Jun 10, 2005
Kippax
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Belconnen/Nth Hobart
A quick question for those that have travelled in the post covid era to the USA.

On previous trips, up to early 2019, I previously used a debit traveller card through the NAB which despite it's average/below average exch rate offered a lot of other advantages. It's obviously not making them enough profit as they have decided to axe it from 30 Sept 22. I'm going to 'do' California in Jan/Feb 23 so would be interested in hearing what people are doing as far as travel currency in the USA goes post covid.

After the best/easiest/safest solution and not necessarily a brilliant fx rate.

Schneebly11

Cancelled
Apr 7, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah I thought so mate. I actually did pretty much that tour (it was New Orleans - Los Angeles) so can fill you in a heap on a lot of stuff.

Not trying to put a dampener on it but you do spend a * load of time traveling on the bus obviously. There was a stretch for 3 or 4 days where it was pretty much hop on the bus in the morning, get to the city late arvo/night, have dinner and some beers, sleep for a bit, back on the bus. Which is actually pretty tough but you get through it. The biggest tip I'd have is just making the most of every chance you get to sightsee, or do anything that is different to anything you've done before.

That’s the problem with Contiki in the USA, it’s just a full day of driving, get drunk at night and spend the rest of the day either hungover on the bus to the next destination or hungover at the hotel.

I think the Contiki style of tour is better suited to Europe where you stay in hotel closer to the action and there’s less driving.

There used to be a good company called Trek America that offered camping or budget lodging tours staying national parks, small group atmosphere and seeing a lot of cool places up close, but they went bust during Covid.

Intrepid and G Adventures offer a few of those style trips but not as wide a range as Trek America had.

I reckon if you’ve got 3 weeks instead of doing coast to coats just limit yourself to California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Arizona and Utah. You can see all the national parks and Vegas. From Southern Utah/Grand Canyon and Colorado Rockies there’s nothing even remotely interesting until you hit Washington DC. Texas is boring, the south is, errr the south, Florida an overhyped tourist trap and New Orleans overrated. There’s a reason it’s called “fly over country”……..

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I reckon if you’ve got 3 weeks instead of doing coast to coats just limit yourself to California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Arizona and Utah. You can see all the national parks and Vegas. From Southern Utah/Grand Canyon and Colorado Rockies there’s nothing even remotely interesting until you hit Washington DC. Texas is boring, the south is, errr the south, Florida an overhyped tourist trap and New Orleans overrated. There’s a reason it’s called “fly over country”……..

Great advice.

You need 5+ weeks to get the most out of going from coast to coast if it's your first time there.

Schneebly11

Cancelled
Apr 7, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Great advice.

You need 5+ weeks to get the most out of going from coast to coast if it's your first time there.

If you’re going to do a US road trip -

Start in LA, go to Vegas and the Grand Canyons, some of the canyons around Utah are pretty good too. Go back into California, Yosemite, SF, Oregon and Seattle. Then go into Canada, Rockies and Alberta. Then make a beeline for Ontario and Montreal. Then back into north eastern US, NYC and Boston.

You aren’t missing out on anything from the Grand Canyon to the east coast.

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That’s the problem with Contiki in the USA, it’s just a full day of driving, get drunk at night and spend the rest of the day either hungover on the bus to the next destination or hungover at the hotel.

I think the Contiki style of tour is better suited to Europe where you stay in hotel closer to the action and there’s less driving.

There used to be a good company called Trek America that offered camping or budget lodging tours staying national parks, small group atmosphere and seeing a lot of cool places up close, but they went bust during Covid.

Intrepid and G Adventures offer a few of those style trips but not as wide a range as Trek America had.

Yeah good calls.

I am glad I did a contiki, as I went to a lot of places I will never visit, good and bad. Places like Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Durango, Amarillo and even the Grand Canyon.
But yeah looking back I feel there was just so much time wasted on buses. I want to get back ASAP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back