Review Fremantle Defeat St. Kilda 111-70

Remove this Banner Ad

Did anyone actually write him off, though? I was highly critical of him (and mainly the selectors) because he was clearly nowhere near ready to come back in when he did.
Seen a few say he was cooked. Regardless it was always going to take him time to get up to speed no matter when we brought him in, better mid season than closer to finals. The only issue with timing was that it was over the bye, which probably stopped him getting some consistent footy

Wheres the compilation of all Saints mis-kicks resulting in goals???

St Kilda gave us eight goals direct from turning it over either inside their defensive fifty or just outside of it. Eight. That's just the ones we kicked the goal, they gave it back there a dozen times.

It wasn't the umpires giving it to us.

St Kilda gave us eight goals direct from turning it over either inside their defensive fifty or just outside of it. Eight. That's just the ones we kicked the goal, they gave it back there a dozen times.

It wasn't the umpires giving it to us.
Easier to blame the umps and the "cheating Dockers who must have paid them off."

That's a direct quote from a Saints supporter...you know who you are you absolute flog and sook. Ill call ya the waahhbulance.

Never seen a fanbase call for ball before a Freo player had even taken possession of the ball. They were calling for a free every inside 50 and calling for frees every tackle...it was sad

And no the umpires dont like us...they dont hate us either but Freo are midtable when it comes for frees for and against...

I

I Love how this self described arbiter of all things umpiring thinks it was a mistake (no mention of Clark actually getting foot to it).

But last week was telling us it was all fine.

Kinda shows up the subjectiveness of umpiring. Clark started his kick before he was tackled so that should be his genuine attempt. No HTB.

I'd rather at least semi-informed debate, at least he's actually umpired something unlike most of us (and no U10s doesn't count..).

I think this is a classic example of ensuring understanding of the current rules combined with debatable points, I don't understand his reference to Finlayson making an attempt though.

• First question - did the player have prior opportunity? (In both those cases yes)
  • If no prior - did they make a reasonable attempt to dispose the ball i.e. not throw it, noting if it gets knocked out that's play on (N/A in both these cases)
  • If they had prior - was a legal tackle applied (this is where the Finlayson one could be ruled out, Clark one clearly yes)
  • If they had prior and they were tackled - did they dispose of it legally, if yes play on obviously, if not then HTB if not released or incorrect disposal if thrown (this is the arguable point for Clark)
The genuine attempt idea comes from when the player doesn't have prior, so it's irrelevant for the Clark decision, all down to did he kick it.

Last edited:
No way, it cant be if it grazes the boot by 1mm then its HTB. What about if he gets 2mm of leather on it, what about half a centimetre of boot on it? What about if it only touches his little toe and fourth toe and a bit of his ankle? Its like hitting the post. It either hits the foot or it doesnt, if it grazes it by one micrometer and the ump sees it, its correct disposal/play on and not HTB.
Got no idea whether Jordy touched that ball based on my old fuzzed out TV screen but one guy who had a PERFECT view of it was Stevic and he called it straight away.
To be clear, I agree that's how it has to be umpired for those exact reasons.

It's just from a 'fairness' POV even if Clark grazed the ball he didn't truly dispose of it, so I'd be perfectly comfortable if it was called HTB in the moment.
It wasn't, and the rest is history.

St Kilda fans should be furious first and foremost about the D50 turnovers.

Re-watching Brodie's second goal, and I'm still getting chills! That was an absolutely crushing kick!

Brodie's kicking was questioned earlier in the season but he is proving to be a reliable and decent kick, often gets a goal and always looking for opportunities to take a shot on goal when they present.

I like the fact he has built his game around the in close contest but seems to be adding more run into space now. Maturing into an all round player before our eyes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Factually incorrect Taylor. Framing it using emotive terms is an old trick.

Katie accused Carey of smashing a wine glass on her face, cutting her lip and neck. He claimed he was trying to throw wine on her and admitted to the glass contacting her face. She decided not to press charges as Wayne kicked a lady cop in the face when the police attended and he was convicted on that charge instead.

I'd rather at least semi-informed debate, at least he's actually umpired something unlike most of us (and no U10s doesn't count..).

I think this is a classic example of ensuring understanding of the current rules combined with debatable points, I don't understand his reference to Finlayson making an attempt though.

• First question - did the player have prior opportunity? (In both those cases yes)
  • If no prior - did they make a reasonable attempt to dispose the ball i.e. not throw it, noting if it gets knocked out that's play on (N/A in both these cases)
  • If they had prior - was a legal tackle applied (this is where the Finlayson one could be ruled out, Clark one clearly yes)
  • If they had prior and they were tackled - did they dispose of it legally, if yes play on obviously, if not then HTB if not released or incorrect disposal if thrown (this is the arguable point for Clark)
The genuine attempt idea comes from when the player doesn't have prior, so it's irrelevant for the Clark decision, all down to did he kick it.
I agree semi-informed debate is needed but he completely ignores the concept that Clark may (probably) got his foot to it. Given the umpire was right there and waved play on 3 times, he can't categorically say it was a mistake based on a TV image.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back