News Walters and Frederick of Fremantle racially vilified on social media (stay on topic pls)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickG88

Club Legend
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yes that makes you racist, and a bad person. Responding to someone getting that kind of vile abuse with 'just don't read it' makes you just as bad.

Please enlighten me as to the last time simply ignoring a problem made it go away.
I'm going to ignore you and you will simply go away.

some kind of reverse-racism/racism against white people

Never really understood the term "reverse racism". Wouldn't that be tolerance? Nobody says "reverse domestic violence" to describe domestic violence against men by women.

MickG88

Club Legend
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Good luck. But good to know you care as much about treating everyone with basic decency as you do about an Internet forum.
I was going to leave it alone but you want to judge me, you don't know me and what I have been through. You think you have the right to sit there and judge me because I don't care if a ******* moron had a go at a guy or not.
Who cares if Michael Frederick is black, white or brown? I don't care what colour he is, all I care about is his impact on my family's safety. Did this moron have a go at me? Did he have a go at my Asian wife? answer to both those is no. Michael Frederick is an adult, he made a choice to open a DM from someone he doesn't know, I didn't make him, I didn't send it but I'm racist.
I hate one person in this world and they are white, I don't care what colour people are as long as they are good people who treat me and mine in the fashion I treat them and theirs.
You try to make me feel bad about not giving a s**t but I don't understand why it matters, why does it matter that one guy doesn't care?
What am I realistically meant to do? go find the guy and beat the crap out of him?
Stop with your faux Marxist diatribe because you aren't tricking anybody, being a social warrior doesn't make you a good person, just makes you a douche bag.

coldlunch

All Australian
Mar 19, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I was going to leave it alone but you want to judge me, you don't know me and what I have been through. You think you have the right to sit there and judge me because I don't care if a ******* moron had a go at a guy or not.
Who cares if Michael Frederick is black, white or brown? I don't care what colour he is, all I care about is his impact on my family's safety. Did this moron have a go at me? Did he have a go at my Asian wife? answer to both those is no. Michael Frederick is an adult, he made a choice to open a DM from someone he doesn't know, I didn't make him, I didn't send it but I'm racist.
I hate one person in this world and they are white, I don't care what colour people are as long as they are good people who treat me and mine in the fashion I treat them and theirs.
You try to make me feel bad about not giving a s**t but I don't understand why it matters, why does it matter that one guy doesn't care?
What am I realistically meant to do? go find the guy and beat the crap out of him?
Stop with your faux Marxist diatribe because you aren't tricking anybody, being a social warrior doesn't make you a good person, just makes you a douche bag.

why shouldn't people judge you as uncaring when you've explicitly stated you don't care? what exactly is your point here other than screw you, I am what you say I am?

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
Thats an awfully ranty response from someone who said 'if you don't like it just don't read or respond to it'

Tbonefreo

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2013
Wagga
AFL Club
Fremantle
You care about Michael fredricks impact on your family's safety?

Lol what?

MickG88

Club Legend
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
why shouldn't people judge you as uncaring when you've explicitly stated you don't care? what exactly is your point here other than screw you, I am what you say I am?
About this particular issue, sure I'm uncaring. And why should I? and how does it make me racist? Yelling and screaming at me to try and change my opinion won't work. calling me names won't change my stance.
The particular post that I quoted was asking for an opinion and I shared.

Osho

We haven't changed our position.
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
All those insults just over a stupid game
My thoughts also.
A game, played by young folk, full of life and optimism, with their mates, against mates whom they shake hands with after game, under great pressure from their paymasters, giving joy to those who watch...

And some untutored ferile riff-raff.

Jan 14, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
I do however disagree - they should be exposed, by which medium? I'm not too sure. Perhaps, it is best to raise it with their employer directly where possible, as that has a lasting impact on the person writing such things no doubt. If they are self-employed, an official body such as Fremantle or the AFL leaving a Google Review on Jimmy's Plumbing Melton [insert generic blue collar sole-trader business name here] would be pretty impactful.

It's interesting, as what I'm suggesting is not too dissimilar to a Social Credits system, which I am totally against - but with a reputable body making a statement against an individual with far less social tickets does kind of blur the lines.

Just name and shame them and let them deal with the fallout. If one of my employees crack someone in the street and gets caught I may decide I don't want their rude head representing my business anymore (or if they are self-employed customers may decide not to frequent them or support them).
I think that is different than a social credit system which is more of an ongoing, official stamp against your name.

If they are anonymous I agree with those saying not to give them publicity - I'm reminded of Kyle's Dad's trolling for kicks on South Park (there is no benefit when noone is named/caught - it possibly just emboldens others to do the same seeing as how the troll got away with it).

The issue is that the 'right' of politics sides with genuine racists because it suits them from a power perspective.

Same with sexists, and pretty much any other a-hole that will vote for them.

So really, if you support the 'right' of politics, whether you like it or not - you're in the same corner as some really s**t people with some really s**t beliefs.

There is two perspectives to the left and right debate when it comes to racists.

Ppl on the right can be racist sure. But as a brown man the racists on the left piss me off much, much more.
I know plenty of them mean well - but I'd rather someone fear/hate me than think it is their job to protect me or protect my feelings.
Anyone who suggests white men can 'handle' jokes but ethnics need [literal] white knights to represent them and protect them from hurtful words is about as frikkin racist as you can get and it pisses me off to no end - they really don't understand the racist implications of what they are suggesting.

I know some may appreciate the help more than others but us Arab guys can handle ourselves. We don't need advocating for.
Mind you I went to high school in the 90s where it was anything goes. So I recognise things do change, but still...

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
About this particular issue, sure I'm uncaring. And why should I? and how does it make me racist? Yelling and screaming at me to try and change my opinion won't work. calling me names won't change my stance.
The particular post that I quoted was asking for an opinion and I shared.
You don't care if people are racially abused. That literally makes you racist.

maskmcgee

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2017
The Windy Apple
AFL Club
Essendon
or how youtube has shut down because they have to monitor copyrights?

Oh so this requirement would come with a safe harbor provision? In which case it would be pointless and do nothing because these companies are already removing this.
Now if you want to totally stop this, remove the safe harbor provision and require every tweet and private message to manually be moderated by a human before it can be posted, then yes, they will shut down.

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
I would vote for none of the above.
Who ******* cares, you're on social media and a guy dm's you. You don't know this guy then why are you opening it and reading it, DELETE IT. If that opinion makes me a racist, so be it. Society is a Marxist ceasepool anyway so have at it.
The saying 'the standard you walk past is the standard you accept' really springs to mind when someone pulls out something like this. The 1950s called and wants its mindset back.

e21.jpg

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Actually this is as racist as it gets.

Are you suggesting white people are stronger and can 'handle it' but other races can't?
Only someone who actually believes in white supremacy would infer that from the post you replied to

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
Actually this is as racist as it gets.

Are you suggesting white people are stronger and can 'handle it' but other races can't?
No. Racism against white people doesn't exist. Sure, white people can suffer from individual racist acts or abuse. But racism as a societal thing (ie the being thought of as lesser, being treated as lesser because of your skin, etc) doesn't exist.

Jan 14, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Only someone who actually believes in white supremacy would infer that from the post you replied to

Nice one, I'm not even white...

I may have read the flow of conversation wrong but I believe I was responding to a post suggesting that you can't be racist to a white person.
But you can jump to your massive conclusion all you want.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
Oh so this requirement would come with a safe harbor provision? In which case it would be pointless and do nothing because these companies are already removing this.
Now if you want to totally stop this, remove the safe harbor provision and require every tweet and private message to manually be moderated by a human before it can be posted, then yes, they will shut down.
So you have nfi about YouTube copyright censorship then.

Streamers literally mute the game audio because if a copyrighted song plays in the background, it gets struck out.

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Nice one, I'm not even white...

I may have read the flow of conversation wrong but I believe I was responding to a post suggesting that you can't be racist to a white person.
But you can jump to your massive conclusion all you want.
Racism does not exist for white people in the same manner that it exists for any other group (in Western countries). That is a pretty undeniable claim. There is nothing institutional or systematic about it, unlike there is for plenty of other ethnic groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back