VFL Game Day Round 17: Essendon vs Gold Coast, Windy Hill, Sunday 17/07/2022 @ 1:05 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

What I was saying was I believe it was a poor decision to send him back and him getting injured, again from my point of view, doubles the negative effect of what was a poor decision in the first place.
Teams never really play more than 7 defenders. Who did you think would get dropped for Redman? Hind, who has been as effective offensively whilst much better defensively? McGrath, who has been fantastic since moving to half back? Kelly, who kept Charlie Cameron to 1 goal last week? Or the guy who conceded 4 goals to Lincoln McCarthy?

He got injured, and if he had the same contact in the seniors he would have gotten injured there too.

Teams never really play more than 7 defenders. Who did you think would get dropped for Redman? Hind, who has been as effective offensively whilst much better defensively? McGrath, who has been fantastic since moving to half back? Kelly, who kept Charlie Cameron to 1 goal last week? Or the guy who conceded 4 goals to Lincoln McCarthy?

He got injured, and if he had the same contact in the seniors he would have gotten injured there too.
Lincoln kicked 3 goals for the match, no wonder Mass got dropped for conceding a non-existent 4th.

He had 4 kicked on him last week. Redman had to come in, McGrath has been great off half back, Hind is back into 2021 form and Kelly just held the best small forward of 2022 to 1 goal last week.
Agree whole heartedly with this but he should have been the sub. I don't know who is the sub but if it's Brayden(never gonna be afl standard) Ham again I think my view has a lot of merit.

So who do we think could possibly step up to AFL level?

Menzie, Voss, Brand?

Oh ok, thanks Truck.

Not like the guy has been a revelation since coming in, but hey, he's the one guy we pick out for poor defensive work. lol Eth, just lol.

Would have thought it was pretty obvious that that is why he was left out, and that’s fine.

It’s far easier to nurse someone through a VFL game if they were concerned about the cork and if I’m honest the sub role is best for someone you don’t really care about so it’s a good thing he was left out completely to give him the opportunity to actually play a game.

Would have thought it was pretty obvious that that is why he was left out, and that’s fine.

It’s far easier to nurse someone through a VFL game if they were concerned about the cork and if I’m honest the sub role is best for someone you don’t really care about so it’s a good thing he was left out completely to give him the opportunity to actually play a game.
I don't agree but Yep i can see that side of things too I guess, just hope his injury is not serious

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My personal player assessments for yesterday's game:

James Stewart: Some bad brain fades meant it was only a good game rather than great. Kicked 4 goals and is generally speaking a very good key forward at this level.
Michael Hurley: Only played a half and was very rusty, can't see him playing AFL until the last couple of rounds at the earliest IMO.
Nick Bryan: Got shaded by Moyle for the most part, who is probably in the top 3 rucks in the VFL in fairness though.
Alastair Lord: Needs to find more of the ball. He's quick and has a good kick but really needs to get his production up higher.
Zach Reid: Mostly on Burgess, who kicked 3, but his kicking is starting to come to the fore.
Josh Eyre: Looks much more assured in defence, was intercepting well and for me should just stay there.
Garrett McDonagh: Looks much better on a wing compared to half back, but still only 12 touches.
Cody Brand: Got beaten by Corbett in the air for the most part, his past couple of games have been a drop in form.
Patrick Voss: 4 goals and generally threw his weight around. Probably the most influential player as far as the AFL listed guys go.
Cian McBride: Form has seriously dropped, probably because there are too many talls back there.
Massimo D'Ambrosio: Obviously the shoulder injury happened but was pretty creative across half forward, but didn't kick the ball enough given his obvious talents in that regard
Alec Waterman: Only played the first half (held over in case of a late change) and was good without being great.
Jye Menzie: Obviously has received instructions to be more unselfish but if he had backed himself at the top of the goalsquare one of the two occasions we win.
Tom Hird: Probably his worst game of the year, feels like he knows his time at the club is done

Remove this Banner Ad

Back