Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Not a lot of science from Nikita at this stage. Just kept trying to walk through him with power and got tagged a lot.

Respect to Horn though. First time I've seen him and he stood up to a lot of punishment. I thought he might even steal a knockdown right at the end there.

CrazyJoeFevola

Setanta Ó hAilpín’s official bigfooty butler 2007
Apr 14, 2013
Gardiner Stand Can Bar
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Preston, WIndies, Armagh GAA
Plenty of respect for Horn after that. Those liver shots were fair dinkum brutal despite what he said and will be pissing blood for a while. Nikita genuinely seemed nonplussed after not getting the result after 3 and man, that last round was a ripper. Between that, the Foley fight and Simi being surprisingly decent it really wasn't bad for a free (Well, not free, just non PPV, but as free as you'll get) Wednesday night card. Let's get some more of these on the air No Limit and Fox.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Super Tottenham....from the Lane.
Glad I blew $95 on a first round knock out for Nikita. Embarrassing performance and takes a lot of hype away barely beating a 4 win 4 loss bum

I think that is fair. Nikita is clearly talented but he needs an awful lot of work. If you are going to fight the way he does then you have to be able to take guys out pretty quickly as you are too open to being hit yourself. His feet were all over the place and a decent fighter would have popped him given how cleanly Horn was getting him late on.

On reflection and even allowing for it only being his 3rd fight I was a bit disappointed in Nikita last night.

Dump Truck

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Plenty of respect for Horn after that. Those liver shots were fair dinkum brutal despite what he said and will be pissing blood for a while. Nikita genuinely seemed nonplussed after not getting the result after 3 and man, that last round was a ripper. Between that, the Foley fight and Simi being surprisingly decent it really wasn't bad for a free (Well, not free, just non PPV, but as free as you'll get) Wednesday night card. Let's get some more of these on the air No Limit and Fox.
These sort of events could definitely help the slow painful death of boxing in Aus. I'm not a massive boxing fan and never pay for an event but the fact it was free (on kayo) made it an easy decision to sit and watch the whole card. And I bloody loved it.
Another mate text me to watch it as well saying it was free on Kayo. Definitely a good way to go for these sorts of fights to get the crowds back.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
These sort of events could definitely help the slow painful death of boxing in Aus. I'm not a massive boxing fan and never pay for an event but the fact it was free (on kayo) made it an easy decision to sit and watch the whole card. And I bloody loved it.
Another mate text me to watch it as well saying it was free on Kayo. Definitely a good way to go for these sorts of fights to get the crowds back.
Slow painful death?!

Kambosos just sold out Marvel and won a world title over a P4P contender
Opetaia just won a world title
Tszyu sells out stadiums
Huni, Goodman, Aukoso future title challenges if not champions
Aussie boxing has never been brighter.

The only thing that needs improvement atm is what constitutes a PPV but thats an issue the world over and one the free market will correct (people wont pay for s**t and itll change).

Dump Truck

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Slow painful death?!

Kambosos just sold out Marvel and won a world title over a P4P contender
Opetaia just won a world title
Tszyu sells out stadiums
Huni, Goodman, Aukoso future title challenges if not champions
Aussie boxing has never been brighter.

The only thing that needs improvement atm is what constitutes a PPV but thats an issue the world over and one the free market will correct (people wont pay for s**t and itll change).
I must admit I'm a nuffy with limited knowledge purely explaining my experiences. So 100% accept I'm probably wrong in saying such a heavy statement.
I was more talking from a perspective of casual fans.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I must admit I'm a nuffy with limited knowledge purely explaining my experiences. So 100% accept I'm probably wrong in saying such a heavy statement.
I was more talking from a perspective of casual fans.
Completely anecdotal but i have more friends asking me about aussie boxing now than ever before. Think our boys need to win overseas to build on the momentum though. Thats the big exposure i guess

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Australia has always had an interest in boxing historically, we just need a big star to reinvigorate it. We've had different peaks with Tszyu, Mundine, even Jeff Horn was a pretty big deal for a bit. Tim Tszyu is a star, helped by the name of course and Nikita could be even better and bigger I think.

I also think MMA has helped attention on boxing too, they're both combat sports and really I think just punching is more entertaining and easier to understand for a casual fan than all the grappling stuff.

anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
Sad to hear of the passing of Johnny Famechon.
Great Aussie boxer and world title holder. Very skilled and clever. Ambrose Palmer referred to him as Floyd Mayweather before there was a Floyd Mayweather.
Rest peacefully Fammo,

anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Is AJ/Usyk not televised here this weekend?! What a debacle for possibly the biggest fight of the year...

Usyk and Usyk 7-12 for the gamblers and degenerates. What say you?

I forgot that was this weekend, can't wait. I'm sure the rivers will be well in action this weekend anyway, we'll get to watch it.

As for my prediction I'll go AJ by knockout. I feel like he's gonna know he can't outbox Usyk so he's gonna try and go all out, should be worth watching.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I forgot that was this weekend, can't wait. I'm sure the rivers will be well in action this weekend anyway, we'll get to watch it.

As for my prediction I'll go AJ by knockout. I feel like he's gonna know he can't outbox Usyk so he's gonna try and go all out, should be worth watching.
I dont think AJ has enough tricks in the bag to outgun Usyk but we'll see.

This into UFC278 isnt a bad Sunday.

Back