Analysis Giants Coaching. Congratulations Adam Kingsley & welcome to GWS.

Who is your preference to be next coach of GWS Giants?

• Alistair Clarkson

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • James Hird

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Don Pyke

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Nathan Buckley

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Ross Lyon

• Mark McVeigh

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scott Burns

• Blake Caracella

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Adam Yze

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Adam Kingsley

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Daniel Giansiracusa

• Luke Power

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Jaymie Graham

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Ash Hansen

• Andrew McQualter

• Chris Scott

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AK.png

The GIANTS are delighted to announce the appointment of Adam Kingsley as the club’s next AFL head coach.

As a former Premiership and Best and Fairest winner with Port Adelaide, where he played 170 games, Kingsley quickly moved into coaching following his playing career, immediately taking up assistant coaching roles with Port Adelaide and then St Kilda. After eight years with the Saints, Kingsley joined Richmond as assistant coach in 2019 where he played a leading role in the Tigers’ last two Premierships.

GIANTS Chief Executive Officer David Matthews said Kingsley's appointment marked the next chapter in the evolution of the football club. “On behalf of the Board and our entire organisation, I’m thrilled to confirm Adam Kingsley as our new head coach,” Mr Matthews said. “After a thorough and considered selection process, Adam’s vision for the club, our players and our people made him the standout candidate for the job. Adam has outstanding values that align with the GIANTS and with 16 years’ coaching experience he is an exceptional tactical coach, a strong, clear communicator, and someone who brings people together. In our 11 years in the competition we have undoubtedly become a successful club with a fantastic culture and a great playing list. But we haven’t been satisfied with our recent results. We - and Adam - believe success isn’t far away and we’re thrilled to have him lead us into our next chapter as a club. This is an incredibly exciting day for our club and Adam's appointment will not only take our playing group and football department forward but will help continue to grow our game across NSW and the ACT. We look forward to welcoming Adam, his wife Nadine and children Cayla, Ethan and Raf to the GIANTS family.”

Mr Matthews also paid tribute to caretaker coach Mark McVeigh. "We thank Mark for his efforts as interim senior coach and the tireless work he has contributed to our program since taking over in round 10,” Mr Matthews said. “It’s a difficult job to come in as caretaker coach but he attacked the role with fresh ideas and sought to improve our players, staff and program at every step. Mark is a person of the highest integrity and character, and he has always put the club first. He was steadfast in leaving the program ready for whoever would be taking over.”

Following an extensive interview process, Kingsley was deemed the best fit for the GIANTS by the club’s interview panel that consisted of Mr Matthews, Chairman Tony Shepherd AO, Football Director Jimmy Bartel and General Manager of Football Jason McCartney. Kingsley said he was honoured to have the opportunity to coach the club for the next three years. “This is an incredibly exciting opportunity,” he said. “It’s a privilege and an honour to be the next senior coach of the GIANTS. I’ve been clear in my aspirations to become a senior coach and over the last 16 years I’ve continued to learn and develop to the point now where I’m absolutely ready to take the next step in my coaching career. This is a club which has built a strong culture from the ground up in just a few short years. In just 11 years the GIANTS have made multiple preliminary finals, and a Grand Final, and while the ultimate success has eluded the club, it’s clear the building blocks are in place. It's clear the players, staff, members and fans are hungry for success, and we’re going to drive each other to get to where we want to go. I believe in this club and what we can achieve together.”

Kingsley played 170 games for Port Adelaide between 1997 and 2006 and was a member of the club’s inaugural team as well as their first Premiership in 2004. He won the Power’s club champion award in just his second season. In 2007, he became an assistant coach at Port Adelaide, a position in which he stayed in until the end of 2010. Kingsley joined St Kilda at the end of the 2010 season as an assistant coach before moving to Richmond in 2019.

A negative of bringing in Clarko is how much of our soft cap he's expected to take up and it would be difficult to keep or land some of the best football support staff like how Peter Burge has just left Richmond with how much Dimma would be making.

Was Luke Boyd at the hawks for the dynesty? Is he getting ready to team up with Clarko at the giants

... unless every other coach drops out.

In which case, may as well close the doors.
Yep, it kinda feels that way. All the gas has been let out of the tyres. Not really excited by game day at the moment.
Watching the 3rd quarter from the Bradman Stand last weekend was a chilling experience. Yep, it was cold.
Can't put my finger on what's lacking, why they are so uncompetitive.

Had thought it was Jeremy Cameron's absence that has scuppered the team, but maybe it was Shane Mumford's.

Easy enough if it's Clarkson. If it's an assistant at one of the finals-bound clubs (e.g. Pyke @ Sydney or Yze @ Melbourne), it won't be until their team is eliminated or wins the GF.
The biggest impediment on Clarkson is his willingness to leave Melbourne and knowing the state of our list.

I think we have some perilous times ahead of us. We have lost some key pillars, others have gotten too old or are not good enough, drafted/traded quite poorly and have more holes in our list than Swiss cheese.

If I’m honest and a coach looking for a job GWS is not attractive. It needs COLA and soft cap relief as a starting point, a clean out, pain, and nail every draft and trade option for the next 3 years or will 100% become a basket case.

The biggest impediment on Clarkson is his willingness to leave Melbourne and knowing the state of our list.

I think we have some perilous times ahead of us. We have lost some key pillars, others have gotten too old or are not good enough, drafted/traded quite poorly and have more holes in our list than Swiss cheese.

If I’m honest and a coach looking for a job GWS is not attractive. It needs COLA and soft cap relief as a starting point, a clean out, pain, and nail every draft and trade option for the next 3 years or will 100% become a basket case.
I see our list very differently to you.

I see our list very differently to you.
I should clarify, we have some extremely good players on our list and some extremely talented kids we have yet to see. Callaghan and Stone showed a lot in the glimpses we’ve seen and Leek Alleer looked super on his tapes and probably just needs time.

We have hardly seen Brent Daniel’s due to injury but he’s a very good player also.

Some of the guys like Peatling, Wehr, Brander, Angwin, Stein are just players for me but I guess you have to have some guys like that. Not sure i would have been in a mad rush to re-sign them.

Out list is not balanced, we don’t have a gun key forward, we need another small forward, we need some more speed in the middle and our rucks have so far been a disappointment.

We have no cap space to bring anyone in and we have large parts of the cap being dealt to players who are nice to have but seriously over-paid.

I love some of our green shoots but when I look at the overall picture and the time it will take before we can seriously challenge I’m extremely worried. A big name coach like Clarkson would help!

Clarkson, who spent most of his playing career at Arden Street including 93 games across the 1987-95 seasons, is reportedly seeking $1.6 million a year on his next contract. That would blow away the current top coaches’ salaries. With the 2023 soft cap set for $6,950,000, it means the Kangaroos would be spending 23 per cent of their entire budget on Clarkson, reducing their ability to staff up around him.

The other team with a coaching vacancy, GWS, is said to be going through a thorough process and could save $1 million a year if they opt for an untried assistant instead. “The Giants are fine with this. GWS is committed to a thorough process and speaking to a range of candidates.
“Clarkson’s asking price is up to $1.6 million a season ... the Giants might land Adam Yze or Adam Kingsley, for example, for a third of the price.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Clarko goes to North Melbourne on $1.6m then clearly his choice to return to coaching was not “to win the flag” as he outlined in an interview.
I do wonder if the price publicised is "$1.6m to coach North Melbourne, with $500k of that being the 'won't win a flag' premium, so a more normal $1m-ish for a premiership contending club".

As stated earlier we need to spend more money on our health and fitness staff with 14 on our injury list.

Conor Stone seems to have been injured for 3 months now with a soft tissue injury, Brent Daniels has been injured for 3 years with soft tissue injuries, Phil Davis has what looks to be a career ending soft tissue injury, Whitfield looks to have been carrying an injury most of the year hip flexor?

The impact injuries you can't help as much with Kennedy, Perryman, Buckley, Kennedy, Idun, Angwin, deBoor, Callaghan (drafted with foot issues and has been missing for 80% of the year), Hill & Fahey.

Seriously when are the Giants going to realise this isn't just bad luck as we seem to have the worst injury list for the last 5 years now.

As stated earlier we need to spend more money on our health and fitness staff with 14 on our injury list.

Conor Stone seems to have been injured for 3 months now with a soft tissue injury, Brent Daniels has been injured for 3 years with soft tissue injuries, Phil Davis has what looks to be a career ending soft tissue injury, Whitfield looks to have been carrying an injury most of the year hip flexor?

The impact injuries you can't help as much with Kennedy, Perryman, Buckley, Kennedy, Idun, Angwin, deBoor, Callaghan (drafted with foot issues and has been missing for 80% of the year), Hill & Fahey.

Seriously when are the Giants going to realise this isn't just bad luck as we seem to have the worst injury list for the last 5 years now.
Davis did his last hammy in the first action after the half time break. He hadn't warmed up properly. Who was overseeing that?

Davis did his last hammy in the first action after the half time break. He hadn't warmed up properly. Who was overseeing that?
Who knows but it has been the same issue for the last 5 years. Horrendous management of our players have cost us I would say 10+ wins due to player unavailability.

Also is a very confused club, has no direction on what it wants to be.

Not true. Ben McKay is our #1 key defender.

Fair to say however we are light on for KPP options at both ends.
Aiden Corr has always been a myth. Another one of these players that lives off his specs rather than his output. Another genius Silvagni move over Grundy whom we are now chasing as a beaten up rising 29yo.

Fetch me a pistol.

No way I would be risking that sort of money on Clarkson he may be right in the Denis Pagan and Mick Malthouse Carlton zones now Sam Mitchell has definitely improved Hawthorn since Clarkson left at least their games are watchable this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back