The utensil up that is the east coast energy market

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
death rate per unit of energy production
World trade centre, they had 60 deaths in construction and never generated a single watt.

Oh noes…
3B342408-272F-4F60-A60C-8DF4635FD255.jpeg

Chernobyl had 78 deaths.
Yeah... no. Chernobyl caused thousands of incidents of cancer and, from what I can see, 2000+ deaths from that. The effects continue to this day though they are said to be constantly decreasing.

Not to mention wiping out a chunk of the country from habitation.

Yeah... no. Chernobyl caused thousands of incidents of cancer and, from what I can see, 2000+ deaths from that. The effects continue to this day though they are said to be constantly decreasing.

Through a late snapper mate of mine we hosted a bunch of kids from Chernobyl for an afternoon, we just put out a buffet, soft drinks, let them run amok in the beer garden. Already some of them were sick and a little over twenty years later I doubt a single of them is alive.

My point was kind of....
A country with lots of poor people, that don't care about safety protocols and the cost of human life can have a high death toll, even though the technology is not inherently dangerous.
The same applies for the Soviets and Chernobyl.

Oops i just looked up the Snowy Scheme......best not make any more smartarse comments like that.

It's incredibly dangerous.

Is that why modern reactors don’t require safe working zones? As they can’t catch fire and can’t sustain critical without the moderating gas?

I don’t think anyone is advocating building 1950s or 60s Soviet designed reactors

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
In its most recent State of the Energy Market report, the Australian Energy Regulator (AER) said reserves from Victoria's biggest field — the Gippsland Basin — fell almost 22 per cent in the 14 months to February 2021.

The AER said that although production was "transitioning" from old fields to new ones, it was "not yet clear how much the new gas fields can produce".

It warned the fields were "expected to deplete by winter 2023".

"The depletion of these fields will place greater pressure on the southern markets and reduce peak day supply capacity," the regulator noted in its report.

Bar graph showing Victoria's relatively high use of gas for industry, business and households

Victorian households and businesses are the biggest users of gas on the east coast.(Source: Australian Energy Regulator)

Is that why modern reactors don’t require safe working zones? As they can’t catch fire and can’t sustain critical without the moderating gas?

I don’t think anyone is advocating building 1950s or 60s Soviet designed reactors
You get that the modern designs are only as safe as the build quality and ongoing maintenance and support yeah?

We're still talking about a nuclear reactor

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
You get that the modern designs are only as safe as the build quality and ongoing maintenance and support yeah?

Modern designs are a consideration when critics run problems from the past. It cost a few lives to get to the moon, as its critics are quick to point out.

No

As the fuel is inherently safe and can’t sustain critical without the moderator gas or catch fire

This removes the risk of operator, system or integrity risk

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The Australian Energy Market Operator has ordered two gas-fired power plants owned by Snowy Hydro in Victoria to shut down in a bid to keep the gas supply operating safely and securely at the correct pressure for customers.

The order, which lasts until October 1 and represents a further worsening of the energy crisis hitting the eastern states, came as Queensland’s three LNG exporters scrambled to meet a request from the AEMO on Wednesday to send more gas south to avoid shortages in power generation.

as-crisis-builds-20220720-p5b32u

The Australian Energy Market Operator has ordered two gas-fired power plants owned by Snowy Hydro in Victoria to shut down in a bid to keep the gas supply operating safely and securely at the correct pressure for customers.

The order, which lasts until October 1 and represents a further worsening of the energy crisis hitting the eastern states, came as Queensland’s three LNG exporters scrambled to meet a request from the AEMO on Wednesday to send more gas south to avoid shortages in power generation.

as-crisis-builds-20220720-p5b32u

Good , those are the old DC9 engines, horrible bloody things.

String it out for as many pages as you can. Muddy all the water. You still lied.

Link to a reliable source that states this?

Not your interpretation of some random data.

you are a predictable clown who continues to act like a clown. I base this assertion on the following:

- I post the reference to government and the regulator and you infer "they are lying" by making a claim I am lying by referencing their data. When in reality you have not acted in good faith

- In recent times you make an offensive claim that indigenous people murder their children or expose them to multiple and continuous rapes more than others. When asked to provide support for your offensive claim............you do not act in good faith but rather weasel

-Then you demand the reference "states this". Fortunately I knew you would be a clown and do this............why because you don't act in good faith. So I screen shotted the reference, so you couldn't come back days later when the live data was no longer available.

1658377024332.png
1658377049154.png

Attachments

• 1658377086366.png
    1658377086366.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 12
Thorium reactors cannot melt down.

modern uranium reactors are designed like thorium

they both breed fuel which is a far more efficient process when you take in the whole lifecycle

the reactors in the AUKUS subs will operate like this but you can achieve it just as well with 20% fuel as you can with 93%. Arguably 20% is better, as there is less waste.

I have, ive watched you think of everything bad that could possibly happen with renewables and im countering with bad things that have ACTUALLY happened with nuclear.

The issue you highlight be it solar or nuclear; waste management and recycling is absolutely paramount. A closed circuit for waste management, to avoid illegal dumping is a must.

I don't think anyone accepts dumping heavy metals, carcinogenic or radioactive materials into landfill (especially where they leach into water ways) is acceptable. I also don't think diluting heavy metals and carcinogenic materials into residential glass windows or into food storage glass or into landfill is acceptable either.

Recycling solar panel glass should be ground to 5 micron or less and the heavy metals removed (this can not be achieved with a dry process). Sure it is expensive but we are no longer operating in the 1980s.

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
modern uranium reactors are designed like thorium

they both breed fuel which is a far more efficient process when you take in the whole lifecycle

the reactors in the AUKUS subs will operate like this but you can achieve it just as well with 20% fuel as you can with 93%. Arguably 20% is better, as there is less waste.
Technically that is not true - the AUKUS subs will never exist in real life.

Back