2nds Season 2022 GWS Giants VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

If Derksen played I didn't notice him.
45 Wade Derksen

10 disposals, 3 marks

Played a new role on the wing this week. It’ll take time to adjust and learn the new position but he ran hard to provide an option on the outside.

WTF? Can we just turn him into a ******* good KPF?

(I know we're probably trying to teach him how to lead by making him kick to our forwards blah blah blah, but still ... when we need forwards ... !!)

45 Wade Derksen

10 disposals, 3 marks

Played a new role on the wing this week. It’ll take time to adjust and learn the new position but he ran hard to provide an option on the outside.

WTF? Can we just turn him into a ******* good KPF?

(I know we're probably trying to teach him how to lead by making him kick to our forwards blah blah blah, but still ... when we need forwards ... !!)
It'd be development for sure.

11.35 tomorrow out at Blacktown 3rd v 4th on the ladder although the Lions have a game in hand +2 points and significant % over the Giants and missing a few from the H + S protocols the Lions are facing
s**t scheduling again with the reserves playing in a different city than the AFL team surely they have another suitable oval in Canberra although likely due to broadcast $$s

11 listed players on the team sheet although could reduce with the emergencies for the Canberra game

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 6.18.48 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 6.18.48 pm.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 49

Wasn't the previous rule that the score is set to 0?
The rule has always been that if the captain of the opposing team calls for a count during the game, the score is set to zero.

After Sydney had their 19 player incident they added the interchange marshals, and an additional case of "if the interchange marshal notices you, it's a free kick and a 50m" was added.

Looks like they now also do post-game review, and the penalty is as noted.

So basically the penalty depends on who notices it and when.

Team for tonights game, 6.05 v Carlton

7 listed players and will see how many line up with the medi-sub from the emergencies (Brander likely) No Flynn so not sure if sore or minor injury
Lawrence, Fellows and Grace potential draftees I am aware of not sure of other names. Ruck will be an issue with Mirkov and Pittonet in the Blues team

B 49. S. Frost 29. C. Fleeton* 21. L. Aleer*
HB 43. C. Hamilton 42. J. Stein* 64. E. Grace
C 57. S. Quirk 66. L. Fellows 50. W. Clark
HF 45. W. Derksen 35. W. Shaw 51. R. Hebron
F 48. H. Grintell 31. J. Brander* 63. E. Hollard
R 55. K. Veerhuis 52. B. Romensky 60. L. Chisholm
INT 67. L. Lawrence 59. M. Miller 56. N. Casalini 68. A. Edwards 62. J. Pavlidis (23rd)

GWS up 24 - 14 in the first qtr.
Very physical, playing man on man as far as I can tell.
Getting smashed in the ruck and possessions, as expected, but very good energy and commitment from the boys.
Fleeton* and Aleer looking good. Hamilton in the middle. Brander decent but still can't hit a handball target.

*except when he gave away a goal

Now down 36 - 38 at half time. A bit of push and shove after the siren.
Smashed again in hit outs, possessions and i50s.
Ball was 80% in the Carlton forward 50.
Score could have been worse if they kicked straight.
One GWS player came off late with a leg injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The boys were understrength and undersized but fought it out 58 - 95.
Not much to glean from the game. Effort was there.
Aleer and Fleeton did good things under constant pressure.
I can see Aleer squeezing in a late game or 2.
Derksen I think was rucking for a lot of the game. He was ineffective as a fill in out of desperation.
Hamilton spent most of the game in the middle, did some good things, but not enough support.
Will Shaw did some nice things.
Brander would do something good, then back it up by turning the ball over. His best moment was slotting a 50m set shot at goal.

Good to get a few listed players back in so hopefully a bit more structure for the team and competitiveness although Swans are a experienced and strong team (18 listed players today I think) Giants with 12 listed players

Game is after the seniors so maybe a few stick around after the seniors and watch some and all the clubs support staff that are needed can be at the ground

B 28. Z. Sproule 25. L. Keeffe* 29. C. Fleeton
HB 43. C. Hamilton 42. J. Stein 35. W. Shaw
C 49. S. Frost 33. X. O'Halloran* 50. W. Clark
HF 45. W. Derksen 26. J. Riccardi 31. J. Brander
F 48. H. Grintell 51. R. Hebron 56. N. Casalini
R 32. K. Briggs* 5. T. Bruhn 60. L. Chisholm

66. L. Fellows 55. J. Conlan 63. R. Bice 52. B. Romensky 62. J. Pavlidis (23rd)

Curtain raiser at Giants Stadium this morning
11 listed players named but 2 or 3 to come out for Taranto, medi-sub and seniors emergency
Bombers lower on the ladder but the wheels have fallen off at reserves level also so just hoping for a competitive hit out and no injuries

Stone back in, Academy prospect Madden to play ruck v listed Bomber Bryan (5 games and turns 21 later this year so it should be a good test)

B 49. S. Frost 46. C. Brown* 29. C. Fleeton*
HB 43. C. Hamilton 42. J. Stein 35. W. Shaw
C 7. L. Ash* 33. X. O'Halloran 50. W. Clark
HF 45. W. Derksen 28. Z. Sproule 18. C. Stone
F 48. H. Grintell 56. N Casalini 51. R. Hebron
R 70. N. Madden (23rd) 5. T. Bruhn* 60. L. Chisholm
INT 64. E. Grace 55. J. Conlan 63. R. Bice 52. B. Romensky 59. M. Miller

GREATER Western Sydney small forward Bobby Hill will make an inspirational return from testicular cancer in the VFL on Saturday afternoon.

The 22-year-old hasn’t played since the round 11 game against Brisbane at the Gabba, after receiving the diagnosis in May.

But after being medically cleared to return to football last month, Hill has now been cleared physically to play against Footscray at Blacktown International Sportspark.

GREATER Western Sydney small forward Bobby Hill will make an inspirational return from testicular cancer in the VFL on Saturday afternoon.

The 22-year-old hasn’t played since the round 11 game against Brisbane at the Gabba, after receiving the diagnosis in May.

But after being medically cleared to return to football last month, Hill has now been cleared physically to play against Footscray at Blacktown International Sportspark.
At least he gets a send-off game.

Some former Giants playing off in the VFL GF.
Matt Buntine and Adam Tomlinson for Casey.
Jacob Townsend for Southport.

Well done to Matt Buntine and Adam Tomlinson
A comfortable win with Casey Demons in a rain and mud soaked game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back