Toast How can this Melbourne side be stopped?

Remove this Banner Ad

‘Brightest young star’ that got me laughing.

He was HOPELESS tonight. All of a sudden he is the brightest young star when it suits your argument? He is definitely not interested at the moment and distracted by the big carrot. He isn’t playing well at all. Definitely not worth the sum being offered.

The WB travelled extensively in 2016 and won. Hawthorn travelled extensively in 2015 and won. Brisbane in 03. There a lot of examples of teams travelling in finals and winning.

You’re simply wanting to heap s**t and get some likes for bumping a thread.
Can’t blame Jackson for underperforming - he’s clearly checked out and going through the motions, along with a number of teammates.

Neither the Bulldogs in ‘16 or Hawks ‘15 had to contend with travel on top of quarantine the Doggies had to endure in 2021. Could they have still got up? Maybe, but the second half collapse was pretty emphatic and once the Dees edged ahead they were never getting back in it.

‘Brightest young star’ that got me laughing.

He was HOPELESS tonight. All of a sudden he is the brightest young star when it suits your argument? He is definitely not interested at the moment and distracted by the big carrot. He isn’t playing well at all. Definitely not worth the sum being offered.

Cool assume you’d be happy with our future 2nd then?

They were the best side last year and obviously deserved their flag.

This year they seem to have been relying on muscle memory to get them over the line in most games, and sometimes lifting to their best.

Tonight it was a case of too much up to too few, Dogs in the 2nd half upped the pressure around the ground and the Dees couldn’t keep up.

The May stuff up at the end is a bit about their overall mindset not being quite fully there, IMO.

Now they can still recover but their last 4 games are as tough as anyones, and it’s hard to see them winning more than 2 of them, which would leave them 50/50 to be top 4.

Its very difficult to maintain the intensity Melbourne played at last year. They might need to find a different way to win, apart from their center clearances which are amazing, they just look average and slow. Happened to us about mid 2018, we ended up completely changing our small forward high pressure game after we failed at the end of that season.

If Melbourne fail at the end of this season it will be interesting where they go. They need to find a gun key forward somehow.

Bulldogs beat Melbourne this time last year by 20pts, look it up. I don’t think Melbourne is going as well but I still expect them to bring more heat and run when it counts.
Maybe, but this isn’t a few off weeks, this is now a 2-month stint of mediocrity.

There are enough decent teams in the top 8 capable of winning a flag - most of which have already beaten the Demons.

This year is really hitting differently, and unless they start building some momentum the Dees could really peter out.

Maybe, but this isn’t a few off weeks, this is now a 2-month stint of mediocrity.

There are enough decent teams in the top 8 capable of winning a flag - most of which have already beaten the Demons.

This year is really hitting differently, and unless they start building some momentum the Dees could really peter out.
They weren’t too crash hot in June or July last year either. They started hitting their straps in August and peaked in September. Maybe it won’t happen this time but I still think Melbourne’s best is yet to come and it will, but whether they sustain it or not I don’t know.

It'll be like every year, teams win and team lose in the finals. Everyone can then look back on it afterwards and decide how good they actually were based on prior form and another plethora of factors when really the premiers just had a good 3-4 games in a row.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There have been worse. Tigers didn't even make the finals in 2021 after winning 2020. Bulldogs missed after their 2016 flag and so did Hawks after 08 as well.
The Tigers had their stint. A drop off was inevitable

Bulldogs 2016 weren’t an all conquering team, Hawks 2008 was a case of a side winning a flag early but ultimately having the core set together for future premierships.

After 2021 the perception was the Dees were about to embark on a big run of premiership success - now they are flagging with a number of massive contracts on their books. If the Dees don’t capitalise the next few years I can’t see them ever recapturing that form. Their list isn’t good enough for a sustained tilt, with major holes up forward.

It'll be like every year, teams win and team lose in the finals. Everyone can then look back on it afterwards and decide how good they actually were based on prior form and another plethora of factors when really the premiers just had a good 3-4 games in a row.
Maybe, but I can’t recall a recent premiership team who’ve had as big a drop off in the Home & Away season as the Dees.

2-5 against sides in the Top 8 is telling.

The Tigers had their stint. A drop off was inevitable

Bulldogs 2016 weren’t an all conquering team, Hawks 2008 was a case of a side winning a flag early but ultimately having the core set together for future premierships.

After 2021 the perception was the Dees were about to embark on a big run of premiership success - now they are flagging with a number of massive contracts on their books. If the Dees don’t capitalise the next few years I can’t see them ever recapturing that form. Their list isn’t good enough for a sustained tilt, with major holes up forward.
‘Perception’ what was this ‘perception’ that you bought into? And who was ‘perceiving’ this? Footy analysts who get paid to talk s**t for a living? BF pundits like you?

There is no linear form line to much that can’t be confidently estimated or predicted. Football definitely is not linear.

Of the top 10 contributors in this thread, you’re one of the only non Melbourne supporters. Why the obsession with Melbourne?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back