news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
There is absolutely nothing special about Pimblett. Hes an accent and a haircut, nothing more.

Curtis got stuck on the outside, couldnt get anything going, no plan B. Jack looked pretty good but we know his ceiling. No idea what he does next

Main event fizzer, it happens. Shame for Tom, i think hes the real deal and Blaydes im not fussed ever watching.

Pretty crap event
Actually being a little impressed with Pimblett. I dont expect him to ever be a champion but entertaining grappler. I thought submitting Leavitt is a big step

Of course he should avoid Topuria like anyone should

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Well there you go. For some reason I thought they stopped that.
They do the occasional PPV (like Rodtang vs Mighty Mouse) but you can generally find full card replays within a few hours as well on their youtube if you don't want to stay up on a Friday night. Would love to see them bring a card to Aus. Interesting to see how they go in the US

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Gustafsson made me sad, hope he pulls the pin on his career.
Hope Aspinal is ok, was really looking forward to that fight.
Chris Curtis carried on like a bitch (give him a pass after he tweeted this) but damn Hermansson looked like a completely different fighter to last outing.

Thought Paddy did well, after the first few minutes I was sure it was going to be a snooze fest for 15 minutes.
Meatball Molly is a beast, not sure how she'd fair against elite competition but shes fun to watch.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Im well late to this but people really giving Nat a shot against Khazmat?

He hasnt had a finish in more than 6 years (and even that was against a McGregor who has no cardio, no submission game and went in with a terrible gaemplan).

Take that away and his last finish was TKOing Gray Maynard in 2013 who is a walking CTE case (and was before that fight). He hasnt had a submission in 10 years.

We all love Nate and we all get why this fight is being made but this should probably start with the longest odds in the history of the UFC tbh.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace

He hasnt had a finish in more than 6 years (and even that was against a McGregor who has no cardio, no submission game and went in with a terrible gaemplan).

Take that away and his last finish was TKOing Gray Maynard in 2013 who is a walking CTE case (and was before that fight). He hasnt had a submission in 10 years.

We all love Nate and we all get why this fight is being made but this should probably start with the longest odds in the history of the UFC tbh.
Let me tell you about the Stockton Slap

Absolutely no chance, He wobbled Leon Edwards because he was playing with his food

Entertaining fighter because he's not defensive once hes spent some energy but You would have 30 welterweights ahead of him right now. I would of given him to Kevin Holland as a "Thanks Kevin for taking a heap of fights and some risky ones here's some big PPV dollars"

Last edited:

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
Chris Curtis carried on like a bitch (give him a pass after he tweeted this) but damn Hermansson looked like a completely different fighter to last outing.

Agree on all points but thought this was worth mentioning. Hermansson generally only loses to the best, and he's clearly learned and developed a tonne since the Strickland loss. Great to see. Curtis' behaviour not so much.

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
Well I mean, Khamzat is one of the biggest favourites we've ever seen, so not really.

The narrative seems to be about Nate pulling off the miracle and giving another F U to the UFC, but the very favourable McGregor win aside, it's a myth that Nate is that guy.

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the Chimaev vs Diaz fight.

295069597_748996306309163_6712988422470261259_n.jpg

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
A first round KO would be better for Nate, but he's never been knocked out and I'm expecting him to last much longer and take a far worse beating.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
A first round KO would be better for Nate, but he's never been knocked out and I'm expecting him to last much longer and take a far worse beating.
His scar tissue opens up so easily. I doubt it'll be a KO but stopped due to damage once hes bleeding everywhere amd offering little offence. Like v Mas but quicker

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Have seen a few post similar on other sites/social media. I dont see it myself, why you like it?
Smith has won his last three fights and prior to that had loses to Rakic, Glover and Jon Jones. Gets a pass on Jon Jones (for multiple reasons), Glover loss was (imo) a pure tactical error where he just gassed himself out and to be honest I don't remember the Rakic fight. I thought he looked the best I've seen him against Spann and I think that the loses he has had has improved his game a tonne. Great on the feet and great on the ground.

Smith has 52 fights and only 5 have ever gone to decision. Ankalev on the other hand has 18 fights and 8 by decision. His last three fights are against opponents I would say were high level and they all went to the decision. He hasn't taken anyone out that has been top 20 and I don't see this fight going the distance. If it was a 5 round fight I'd be way less bullish but for 3 rounds I see Smith going hard.

Ankalev is still good and I think will get a title shot relatively soon but I just like Smith in this one.

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
Smith has won his last three fights and prior to that had loses to Rakic, Glover and Jon Jones. Gets a pass on Jon Jones (for multiple reasons), Glover loss was (imo) a pure tactical error where he just gassed himself out and to be honest I don't remember the Rakic fight. I thought he looked the best I've seen him against Spann and I think that the loses he has had has improved his game a tonne. Great on the feet and great on the ground.

Smith has 52 fights and only 5 have ever gone to decision. Ankalev on the other hand has 18 fights and 8 by decision. His last three fights are against opponents I would say were high level and they all went to the decision. He hasn't taken anyone out that has been top 20 and I don't see this fight going the distance. If it was a 5 round fight I'd be way less bullish but for 3 rounds I see Smith going hard.

Ankalev is still good and I think will get a title shot relatively soon but I just like Smith in this one.
Agree with this, Smith a huge chance here. Must be time for a thread.

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
I said in the 277 thread that it was a weak one before some big upcoming ones. I spoke too soon looking at 278 in 3 weeks time.

However, the two FNs prior look strong, then we've got Tai and Rob the week after. 279 looking weak outside of Khamzat/Diaz atm, but I believe there may be another big fight added. Then the big one, with 280 looking absolutely ridiculous right now. Be interesting to see if it comes together.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't usually watch DFWCS but Bo Nickal was on yesterday, dominated to win by sub in a minute.

If you don't know him he's a three time NCAA national champ, he lost to the eventual gold medallist Dave Taylor at the Olympic trials and went to MMA basically around then I think. He's 26, fights at middleweight and he's going to be a huge problem for anyone in the division.

He's only 2-0 at this point, he's going to have another fight on the Contender Series and I'm sure he'll get signed after that one.

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
I don't usually watch DFWCS but Bo Nickal was on yesterday, dominated to win by sub in a minute.

If you don't know him he's a three time NCAA national champ, he lost to the eventual gold medallist Dave Taylor at the Olympic trials and went to MMA basically around then I think. He's 26, fights at middleweight and he's going to be a huge problem for anyone in the division.

He's only 2-0 at this point, he's going to have another fight on the Contender Series and I'm sure he'll get signed after that one.
Looks to have heavy hands and the word is he's taken to striking like a fish to water. Exciting prospect.

Back