Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe they need to experiment with longer and longer quarters to test this theory. To me, fatigue means more turnovers, which means less scoring (and scoring accuracy).
I've looked at only Adelaide games (Both teams) (Mens 2021, Womens 2022)

mens
1st quarter 23% of score @ 53% accuracy
2nd quarter 26% of score @ 51% accuracy
3rd quarter 26% of score @ 55% accuracy
4th quarter 26% of score @ 47% accuracy

womens
1st quarter 21% of score @ 44% accuracy
2nd quarter 28% of score @ 38% accuracy
3rd quarter 25% of score @ 36% accuracy
4th quarter 26% of score @ 49% accuracy

If I find the time I'll go through the whole league if you really want,

I've looked at only Adelaide games (Both teams) (Mens 2021, Womens 2022)

mens
1st quarter 23% of score @ 53% accuracy
2nd quarter 26% of score @ 51% accuracy
3rd quarter 26% of score @ 55% accuracy
4th quarter 26% of score @ 47% accuracy

womens
1st quarter 21% of score @ 44% accuracy
2nd quarter 28% of score @ 38% accuracy
3rd quarter 25% of score @ 36% accuracy
4th quarter 26% of score @ 49% accuracy

If I find the time I'll go through the whole league if you really want,
Thanks, I'm not going to make you do that. There is not a big discrepancy between the quarters really. But the accuracy of the men's final quarter maybe shows a fatigue effect? Opposite for the women though, but as you probably know if you regularly watch AFLW the quarters seeem ridiculously short compared to the men's, so fatiuge perhaps does not really come in to play as much.

is there any word yet on practice games ? or will these be intra-club matches ?
On this I would be prepared to bet league-sanctioned practice matches will take place on the weekend of 13-14 August.

Coincides with R22 of the men's season, which begs the question what sort of measures will be taken to ensure resources (staff, venues, travel) are synergised to ensure clubs aren't overstretched. I'm thinking it could mean we see a practice match schedule like this...

aflwmockprac.jpg

...where almost all AFLW practice matches are played 3 hours or so before the AFL premiership matches.

Last edited:
I know Hawks and Bombers had a dedicated had teams in the VFLW but did the Swans and Power have a team in their local league?
Neither the Swans and Power, nor any of the other non Victorian AFLW teams run state League teams in their local comps.

Neither the Swans and Power, nor any of the other non Victorian AFLW teams run state League teams in their local comps.
Interesting. I was under the impression that Essendon and Hawks in the VFLW were affiliated with the AFL teams.

Regardless think Essendon will have a big boost having some core players from a successful teams playing together.

Interesting. I was under the impression that Essendon and Hawks in the VFLW were affiliated with the AFL teams.

Regardless think Essendon will have a big boost having some core players from a successful teams playing together.

My advice may not have been clear, there Victorian clubs do run combined AFLW/VFLW programs, with the exception of Richmond which has an alignment with Port Melbourne.

None of the Non Victorian clubs do this, although the non WA clubs run academy programs and the NSW/QLD clubs have run winter series programs to help them develop and identify young and emerging talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My advice may not have been clear, there Victorian clubs do run combined AFLW/VFLW programs, with the exception of Richmond which has an alignment with Port Melbourne.

None of the Non Victorian clubs do this, although the non WA clubs run academy programs and the NSW/QLD clubs have run winter series programs to help them develop and identify young and emerging talent.
I'm assuming that this would give a massive advantage for Essendon and Hawthorn over Port and Sydney given they would have some structures and players playing together already?

I'm assuming that this would give a massive advantage for Essendon and Hawthorn over Port and Sydney given they would have some structures and players playing together already?
Richmond had 16 of its inaugural list play an average of 12 games each in the 2019 VFLW season, then they went winless in their first AFLW season.

In the case of Essendon, the VFLW team (the prioritisation of it, that is) has undoubtedly hurt the AFLW team's preparation. This is evident not just through injuries, but the AFLW coach's frustrations about having to run training sessions with as few as seven players throughout the first half of pre-season.

Richmond had 16 of its inaugural list play an average of 12 games each in the 2019 VFLW season, then they went winless in their first AFLW season.

An important part to note about the Tigers - and what I believe was a key reason they went winless in AFLW 2020 - was the change in game plan around mid-2019 when they brought KB and Sabrina into the club.

During the 2018 VFLW season (and early parts of 2019) they played a mosquito attack style of footy. Using a multi-pronged forward line with small to mid sized forwards. Although the wins weren't there in 2018 as they weren't packed with quality players, you could see what they were trying to do, and you could see the improvement as the season went along.

Now, KB and Sabrina coming into the club screwed up the whole game plan. One can point at more wins in the VFLW in 2019 to argue otherwise, but as shown in the VFLW, when AFLW talent dropped back to play in any side, you always got a far better performance out of that team.

But for those watching the games, the mosquito attack game plan changed to a bomb it to Sabrina game plan. The Bulldogs figured that out in the VFLW Elimination Final, and it was going to be obvious better AFLW defences would be able to shut down the Tigers easily.

Also, KB's desire to be a midfielder - AHHHHHHH! For someone who has watched KB since her Darebin days, she was a forward, and always belonged in the forward. Sure, she could push up a wing every now and again, or drop back to defence late in a game for a game saving mark, but she was never a midfielder - certainly at least not in the same class as Pearce, Paxman, Hammond, O'Dea or Dal Pos.

In the case of Essendon, the VFLW team (the prioritisation of it, that is) has undoubtedly hurt the AFLW team's preparation. This is evident not just through injuries, but the AFLW coach's frustrations about having to run training sessions with as few as seven players throughout the first half of pre-season.

All clubs have been affected to a degree with the pre-season (besides the obvious short turnaround) with the draft not taking place until a few days before the VFLW Grand Final, so no team near the full thirty - plus throw in the limited availability of most of these draftees due to Year 12 studies/exams.

Last edited:

I think its also worth noting AFLW teams weren't really using their AFLW players in the VFLW this season. So Essendon wasn't up against anywhere near the level they'll be up against from August

Took a stab in the dark at tipping the entire Season 7 fixture.

Factoring in favourites (IMHO), coin-toss games (50/50s) and throwing in the odd upset, the ladder after 10 rounds looks like this to me...

1st. Brisbane Lions 9-1
2nd. Adelaide 9-1
3rd. Melbourne 8-2
4th. Fremantle 8-2
5th. Port Adelaide 8-2
6th. Collingwood 7-3
7th. North Melbourne Tasmania 6-4
8th. Richmond 6-4

9th. GWS Giants 4-6
10th. Essendon 4-6
11th. Carlton 4-6
12th. Geelong 4-6
13th. Gold Coast 3-7
14th. Hawthorn 3-7
15th. Western Bulldogs 3-7
16th. West Coast Eagles 2-8
17th. St.Kilda 1-9
18th. Sydney Swans 1-9

Finals (winners in bold)
1st Q/F - (2nd) Adelaide v (3rd) Melbourne
2nd Q/F - (1st) Brisbane Lions v (4th) Fremantle
1st E/F - (6th) Collingwood v (7th) North Melbourne Tasmania
2nd E/F - (5th) Port Adelaide v (8th) Richmond

1st S/F - Fremantle v Port Adelaide
2nd S/F - Melbourne v North Melbourne Tasmania

1st P/F - Adelaide v Port Adelaide
2nd P/F - Brisbane Lions v Melbourne

Grand Final - Adelaide v Melbourne

An important part to note about the Tigers - and what I believe was a key reason they went winless in AFLW 2020 - was the change in game plan around mid-2019 when they brought KB and Sabrina into the club.

During the 2018 VFLW season (and early parts of 2019) they played a mosquito attack style of footy. Using a multi-pronged forward line with small to mid sized forwards. Although the wins weren't there in 2018 as they weren't packed with quality players, you could see what they were trying to do, and you could see the improvement as the season went along.

Now, KB and Sabrina coming into the club screwed up the whole game plan. One can point at more wins in the VFLW in 2019 to argue otherwise, but as shown in the VFLW, when AFLW talent dropped back to play in any side, you always got a far better performance out of that team.

But for those watching the games, the mosquito attack game plan changed to a bomb it to Sabrina game plan. The Bulldogs figured that out in the VFLW Elimination Final, and it was going to be obvious better AFLW defences would be able to shut down the Tigers easily.

Also, KB's desire to be a midfielder - AHHHHHHH! For someone who has watched KB since her Darebin days, she was a forward, and always belonged in the forward. Sure, she could push up a wing every now and again, or drop back to defence late in a game for a game saving mark, but she was never a midfielder - certainly at least not in the same class as Pearce, Paxman, Hammond, O'Dea or Dal Pos.
Brennan was clearly the second-best midfield option Richmond had that season. To claim her presence screwed anything up is comical, especially considering how they went from bad to dreadful in her absence: 1.10 across the last 9 quarters of the season, against mid-ladder opposition.

When a team is dead last in disposals and clearances, 2nd last for I50s... Silly to focus on the forward-line structure and game plan, when the biggest issue by far was an abundance of state league calibre players. If you have a vastly superior or inferior list, tactics are rendered largely irrelevant. Your observation about AFLW talent playing VFLW inadvertently supports that.

having watched/followed Richmond AFLW since we began, the key reason we went win less in 2020 was due to our list build being skewed too far with sub AFLW standard players,

out of our initial list build of 30, we only have 11 players that remain
i agree with what Teen Wolf has stated, we had an abundance of state league calibre players, not enough AFLW calibre

KB & Sab changing the game plan, that didn't happen because we couldn't win the midfield to get it into the fwd line
our midfield had only Conti, Brennan & Campbell that averaged more than 10 disposals/game
the ball kept going one way all game, towards our backline

Last edited:
On this I would be prepared to bet league-sanctioned practice matches will take place on the weekend of 13-14 August.

Coincides with R22 of the men's season, which begs the question what sort of measures will be taken to ensure resources (staff, venues, travel) are synergised to ensure clubs aren't overstretched. I'm thinking it could mean we see a practice match schedule like this...

View attachment 1444324

...where almost all AFLW practice matches are played 3 hours or so before the AFL premiership matches.
In the interests of maximising the evenness of the match-ups, I figured some of the practice games might not be replicas of the R22 fixture. But the Saints AFLW team will in fact be hosting Brisbane that weekend, just as the men's team will be doing.

And even though some seemingly more ideal match-ups will go ahead as forecast, I'm not sure how ideal the scheduling is going to be for those keen to get an early glimpse. Essendon, for example, will have Port Adelaide over but it sounds like that'll be played at Tullamarine rather than done curtain-raiser style.

I know Hawks and Bombers had a dedicated had teams in the VFLW but did the Swans and Power have a team in their local league?
Port Adelaide had a team in the Adelaide Football League, but pulled out after the 2018 season due to cost cuttings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back