Mod. Notice Depressed? Anxious? Call Beyond Blue (1300 224636), Lifeline (131114), resources in OP

King Huskii

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 19, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
Doomscrolling = just looking at constant bad news on Facebook. Doesn’t make you feel any better. If you want to stay informed listen to the radio news twice a day. I listen to Radio National in the morning, it gives you a varied content and critical analysis.

If you click on doom content on FB, the algorithm presumes that’s what you want to read and provides more & more depressing content. A lack of control over your life is a major driver of sadness and depression, and since you can’t control bad news, it clouds you in hopelessness. Change the algorithm by joining positive groups. I like psychedelic mushrooms, so my news feed is filled up with photos of finds of lovely fungus.

Twitter is just a shouting match between people who aren’t witty or clever in real life conversation, but compete to say something clever or cutting or downright nasty with the space allowed to have all day to come up with something half witty. There’s rarely a positive Twitter discussion about celebrities. It’s a cesspool for counts to swim in.

Well written. I agree with this and have never bothered with twitter and cancelled my Facebook account years ago.

My youtube feed is a little depressing because of the rap music I enjoy listening to.

Limiting internet time helps me a fair bit and spending quality time with my mates also helps. I really don't care or bother engaging is people's agendas over socials it's a waste of my time.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Is everyone okay? I really hope so.

I’m going through a bit of a rough batch to be honest but I’m trying hard not to let it get on top.

How come some people are born strong and some not? And why am I one of the weak?

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne

I’m going through a bit of a rough batch to be honest but I’m trying hard not to let it get on top.

How come some people are born strong and some not? And why am I one of the weak?
Anybody can be shaken from their position. We are all fallible. I've had a hell of a fortnight too. A real pile on from people and life in general. My dog had emergency surgery 2 days ago and has been given only a few months left to live - plus it's left me $7,500 in the red, scrambling to find the money. It's a real punch in the guts in an already completely sucky couple of weeks. It makes you ask some hard questions about your life, your friends and yourself. I'm doing my best to be as positive as I can be. I have to hold it together because I have a 7 year old daughter who is looking to me as an example. It helps in a way, because it can be really easy to spiral if there's nobody stopping you sometimes. I think the "strong" ones are often very fortunate in certain ways - which gives them some resilience in the face of adversity. Not that there aren't some incredibly strong people in the world, but I think for the most part, it's less about people being blessed with a difference in character, and more about being blessed with support and resources. Of course, we have to try and tip the scales in our favour as best we can. I'm sitting here, literally trying to find the positives in a seriously shitty period. Wish me luck... And best of luck to you all too.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

I had a rough patch last week - dads death threw me a bit of a spiral - but im back out and ok now.

You arent weak mate. Anyone can be taken down by the unexpected.

King Huskii

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 19, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
I had a rough patch last week - dads death threw me a bit of a spiral - but im back out and ok now.

I hope you are feeling better. I can't imagine how I'd be feeling. I think I need to spend more time enjoying the time I have with them.

I agree. I feel like a strong man who can handle things thrown at me in life but at times my mind tells me that I'm the exact opposite.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
I think it is important not just read the headlines regarding SSRIs or Serotonin tablets regarding their effectiveness in the treatment of depression or anxiety in today's press. If you need help, don't be scared about taking this medication just because you read a misleading headline. Talk to your doctor about it

As someone who takes Serotonin, now for a year, I can vouch they have helped me with my anxiety. That is not to say they will help you. Each person is different and it is important to talk to your doctor about your own situation. I can't stress that enough. My doctor also gave me a mental health plan and these two resources have worked well together. I am still a work in process but ain't we all.

As for some of the misleading headlines i have seen, it not what the research was about. They just getting clicks. This guy explains it better than me but the ABC article also goes into good detail.

You might have seen this review in the news, which finds little or no evidence that low serotonin causes depression. The way it’s being reported in parts of the press is misleading. Here’s why

The study design that tells us whether a treatment works is a Randomised Controlled Trial (RCT). There is good evidence from analyses of hundreds of RCTs that on average, antidepressants are better than placebo tablets at treating depression. (2/10)

The study reported today is not an RCT and can’t say anything about whether antidepressants work.

Instead it examined a widely-known theory relating to how they might work: the theory that depression is caused by low serotonin. (3/10)

The study found inconsistent or no evidence to support that theory. The results suggest that the ‘low serotonin’ theory of depression is wrong, or too simplistic, at least in most patients. (4/10)

This has been known or suspected for years and isn’t that surprising. Like @docbloomfield says, everyone knows headaches can be treated by paracetamol, but no-one thinks headaches are caused by ‘low paracetamol’. (5/10)

The study tells us little about what antidepressants actually do in the brains of depressed people (my answer: lots of other stuff besides serotonin reuptake inhibition = many other possible mechanisms of action). (6/10)

So - we don’t know exactly how antidepressants work. This study doesn’t change that and it’s always good to highlight where more research is required. We DO know that they must work somehow. The study doesn’t change that either. (7/10)

Cue media hysteria with articles or headlines, reporting this study, implying that 'antidepressants are not grounded in science'. Statements like this are deeply misleading and potentially harmful. Antidepressant grounding in science is e.g. here (8/10)

The theory that depression is caused by low serotonin and by extension antidepressants must work by fixing that is not supported by science. Good riddance - depression is a complex disorder caused by many things, treatable by many things, including antidepressants. (9/10)

Antidepressants do not suit every individual but they are well-evidenced for populations. Please don't be misled by lazy headlines into stopping any prescribed meds without speaking to your doc first. (10/10)

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons

Thanks Wook. That was helpful and I’m feeling a bit tougher now. Also I’m sorry to hear about your father and I hope you and your family are doing okay.

King Huskii

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 19, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
Whenever I'm hung over my mind tells me I'm no good and should quit work and that I'm incompetent in life.

I'm notna drunk and these days I seldom drink. It's hard though as I had a few last night and felt bad today.

I do have a good life. I just wished my mind wasn't so critical of me.

I wonder if other posters feel the same way as me? Does their concious tell them negatively

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Whenever I'm hung over my mind tells me I'm no good and should quit work and that I'm incompetent in life.

I'm notna drunk and these days I seldom drink. It's hard though as I had a few last night and felt bad today.

I wonder if other posters feel the same way as me? Does their concious tell them negatively
We all have self-doubt mate.

If I can presume to point you to a positive for you to hang on to, it’s that you clearly have identified the twin facts that 1. you don’t have a problem with alcohol addiction, and yet 2. you’ve clearly recognised that when you DO drink, alcohol has a bad effect on your self-esteem.

That realisation gives you a lot of empowerment.

You can draw strength from the confidence that alcohol doesn’t control you, and you have a really clear cut knowledge of one thing in your life that you need to avoid.

Just a suggestion mate, and all the best.

King Huskii

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 19, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
We all have self-doubt mate.

If I can presume to point you to a positive for you to hang on to, it’s that you clearly have identified the twin facts that 1. you don’t have a problem with alcohol addiction, and yet 2. you’ve clearly recognised that when you DO drink, alcohol has a bad effect on your self-esteem.

That realisation gives you a lot of empowerment.

You can draw strength from the confidence that alcohol doesn’t control you, and you have a really clear cut knowledge of one thing in your life that you need to avoid.

Just a suggestion mate, and all the best.

Thank you

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

I go to bed most nights with my children as the only thing giving me a reason to bother trying anymore. I’m hopeless and don’t really feel like I’m good enough to offer much.

I go to bed most nights with my children as the only thing giving me a reason to bother trying anymore. I’m hopeless and don’t really feel like I’m good enough to offer much.
Yes you are. You’re sharing your thoughts, that’s a good start.
I recently read this kids’ book, I recommend it.

BAB6A9BD-A5BF-4555-AB40-A69CD1DCE18C.jpeg

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I am out. May even do it tonight. My story would peel your ears back.
Others have had worse, but in your own world, your story is...the story.
Only problem, what do I tell me family in the note.
They will be devastated, but Im not dong the rest of this existence to pacify others.
Nup.
At near 50, game is done.

King Huskii

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 19, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
They will be devastated, but Im not dong the rest of this existence to pacify others.
Nup.

Mate message me please

I'll listen to you. If you don't want to message me there are people who can help.

You might find through the struggles that life changes.

Please don't give up

Nup.
Please phone one of the numbers above. Give yourself one more chance.
And see your GP asap.
Blessings.

Osho

We haven't changed our position.
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Geewizz, I've seen this link never clicked it till now.

I hope all my footy comrades can keep on pushing through life's torments. It's been a rough few years, COVID exacerbated my own turmoil, and I don't have any real salve apart from, just get through to the next day, and the next, in my case, this works a lot of the time, just getting through the trough. There are sometimes surprising upsides hanging out with fam, and their good days and times can rub off in a positive manner on myself and just helps keep the head above the seaswells.

How are you going, PhatBoy ? Warm or at least sunny weather is beneficial for the mood, as is exercise, so go for walks if you can. Looking after a pet is a wonderful way to spend time with someone who doesn’t judge you ; do you have one? So many dogs are wanting homes, if not.
Hope you don’t mind me asking.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
How are you going, PhatBoy ? Warm or at least sunny weather is beneficial for the mood, as is exercise, so go for walks if you can. Looking after a pet is a wonderful way to spend time with someone who doesn’t judge you ; do you have one? So many dogs are wanting homes, if not.
Hope you don’t mind me asking.

Thank you mate I appreciate it.
I can’t remember if I posted this or not but I had an epileptic seizure recently that means I can’t drive for the foreseeable future which means I can’t play my gigs each weekend so it’s halved my income, and I was out of sick leave so the time I missed from my day to day job to recover was unpaid. I’ve basically lived off noodles for a fortnight.

But there have been some hidden mercies in that.

I’ve walked over 60km this week. I had annual leave so I’ve been doing 12-13km a day just wandering around and doing some essential shopping like bread etc.

I felt God (I get it that not everyone believes and that’s fine) tested me the other day. I was walking and saw a small object in the gutter over the road with $50 notes hanging out of it. It was a phone/wallet. My immediate instant thought was ‘hey that’s money I can claim that and no one would ever no.’ That thought lasted about 2 seconds. I managed to track down the owner - turns out she used to work at my office before I did. She was so grateful, bought me a case of beer and it made me feel some worth. She was a single mum and was beside herself.

I bit the bullet and spoke to my wife about getting a divorce. We had been in sort of limbo for 3 years and it had prevented either of us from moving forward. It hurt to do it as I love and care about her but not in the way a husband should. I actually feel a weight off my shoulders.

I know I will have more down days and make more mistakes but I feel a bit more confident that I can handle it all.

I appreciate you checking in mate

Thank you mate I appreciate it.
I can’t remember if I posted this or not but I had an epileptic seizure recently that means I can’t drive for the foreseeable future which means I can’t play my gigs each weekend so it’s halved my income, and I was out of sick leave so the time I missed from my day to day job to recover was unpaid. I’ve basically lived off noodles for a fortnight.

But there have been some hidden mercies in that.

I’ve walked over 60km this week. I had annual leave so I’ve been doing 12-13km a day just wandering around and doing some essential shopping like bread etc.

I felt God (I get it that not everyone believes and that’s fine) tested me the other day. I was walking and saw a small object in the gutter over the road with $50 notes hanging out of it. It was a phone/wallet. My immediate instant thought was ‘hey that’s money I can claim that and no one would ever no.’ That thought lasted about 2 seconds. I managed to track down the owner - turns out she used to work at my office before I did. She was so grateful, bought me a case of beer and it made me feel some worth. She was a single mum and was beside herself.

I bit the bullet and spoke to my wife about getting a divorce. We had been in sort of limbo for 3 years and it had prevented either of us from moving forward. It hurt to do it as I love and care about her but not in the way a husband should. I actually feel a weight off my shoulders.

I know I will have more down days and make more mistakes but I feel a bit more confident that I can handle it all.

I appreciate you checking in mate
Small steps, mate. Keep being kind to yourself - and others 👍.

dopefish

Senior List
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Nup.
Please let us know that you're still with us. Lifeline saved my life once. Just one call can make all the difference in the world.

Hey, yes I’m still here. I did try lifeline three years ago at the start of this sorry saga. They tried, but I didn’t get a lot from it. Struggle goes on I guess.
Remember that you can always chat to me or anyone else in DMs on here, if you need any emotional support from us.

Back