Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Took a stab in the dark at tipping the entire Season 7 fixture.

Factoring in favourites (IMHO), coin-toss games (50/50s) and throwing in the odd upset, the ladder after 10 rounds looks like this to me...

1st. Brisbane Lions 9-1
2nd. Adelaide 9-1
3rd. Melbourne 8-2
4th. Fremantle 8-2
5th. Port Adelaide 8-2
6th. Collingwood 7-3
7th. North Melbourne Tasmania 6-4
8th. Richmond 6-4

9th. GWS Giants 4-6
10th. Essendon 4-6
11th. Carlton 4-6
12th. Geelong 4-6
13th. Gold Coast 3-7
14th. Hawthorn 3-7
15th. Western Bulldogs 3-7
16th. West Coast Eagles 2-8
17th. St.Kilda 1-9
18th. Sydney Swans 1-9

Finals (winners in bold)
1st Q/F - (2nd) Adelaide v (3rd) Melbourne
2nd Q/F - (1st) Brisbane Lions v (4th) Fremantle
1st E/F - (6th) Collingwood v (7th) North Melbourne Tasmania
2nd E/F - (5th) Port Adelaide v (8th) Richmond

1st S/F - Fremantle v Port Adelaide
2nd S/F - Melbourne v North Melbourne Tasmania

1st P/F - Adelaide v Port Adelaide
2nd P/F - Brisbane Lions v Melbourne

Grand Final - Adelaide v Melbourne
You made me do the same

1. Melbourne 9-1
2. Brisbane 9-1
3. Adelaide 8-2
4. Fremantle 8-2
5. Western Bulldogs 7-3
6. Gold Coast 7-3
7. North Melbourne 6-4
8. Collingwood 6-4
9. Carlton 6-4
10. Geelong 5-5
11. Essendon 4-6
12. St Kilda 3-7
13. Richmond 3-7
14. Hawthorn 3-7
15. Greater Western Sydney 2-8
16. West Coast 2-8
17. Port Adelaide 2-8
18. Sydney 0-10

Melb d Fre
Bris d Adel
WB d Coll
NM d GC

Adel d GC
Fre d WB

Melb d Adel
Bris d WB

Melb d Bris

Maybe my call of Melbourne beating the winner of adel-bris pf is off :(

Port Adelaide had a team in the Adelaide Football League, but pulled out after the 2018 season due to cost cuttings.
Port Women team were not affiliated to Port Adelaide FC and were banished from Ethelton Oval where SANFL Magpies were sent to after Alberton became used for Power only. Port women became a suburban team North Haven.

West Adelaide was the only SANFL team that had an affiliated women's team prior to SANFLW in 2017. West team now Kenilworth in Adelaide Footy League.
Original SANFLW North, West, Glenelg and Norwood. Then South and Sturt. Finally, WWT and Central Districts.

Port Women team were not affiliated to Port Adelaide FC and were banished from Ethelton Oval where SANFL Magpies were sent to after Alberton became used for Power only. Port women became a suburban team North Haven.
Initially that was the case, but when the PAFC-PAMFC merger occured, they also merged with the unaffiliated PAWFC

West Adelaide was the only SANFL team that had an affiliated women's team prior to SANFLW in 2017. West team now Kenilworth in Adelaide Footy League.
Original SANFLW North, West, Glenelg and Norwood. Then South and Sturt. Finally, WWT and Central Districts.
I thought West Adelaide became Fitzroy?

Is the sport at lower levels about to shrink a bit? The newness wearing off? Daughter tells me 3 teams in vafa B are struggling to fill ressies teams

I think it will find a level, but the newness was always going to stabilise.

It’s ironic cos the standard generally is way better than 3-4 years ago

Is the sport at lower levels about to shrink a bit? The newness wearing off? Daughter tells me 3 teams in vafa B are struggling to fill ressies teams

I think it will find a level, but the newness was always going to stabilise.

It’s ironic cos the standard generally is way better than 3-4 years ago
Combination of two things.

1. Yes, as you suggested, the original 'sugar rush' of all things AFLW is wearing off with numbers coming back a bit, but also mixed in with point 2.

2. The Covid Pandemic. Not just limited to women's footy, but after two years of no/interrupted sport, people started to find other things to do with their time. Also, a lot of people laid off in 2020 found new jobs, including work on the weekends, taking away their free time.

Yes it definitely has.

Here in WA junior clubs have had to reduce teams as numbers have dwindled

As CrowdedHouse mentioned for the above reasons as well

Combination of two things.

1. Yes, as you suggested, the original 'sugar rush' of all things AFLW is wearing off with numbers coming back a bit, but also mixed in with point 2.

2. The Covid Pandemic. Not just limited to women's footy, but after two years of no/interrupted sport, people started to find other things to do with their time. Also, a lot of people laid off in 2020 found new jobs, including work on the weekends, taking away their free time.
This has always been the case though. Amateurs always have teams forfeit as they struggle to put a team on the park, or even fold mid season.

A club has 45 players on the books, runs around getting commitments from another 10, who probably got talked into it, so they can then put in for the second team that lets everybody get a game.

Then the lukewarm only turn up sometimes, injury, work, and now your phoning people game day to get enough players to field that second team.

Is this a club struggling, or just caught in the space where there are too many for 1 team, but too few for 2.

Because somewhere, there may be a club that has a dozen players miss every week because they have too many. This doesn't mean footy is booming either.

I suspect there is still growth left in woman's footy, and the odd team folding or struggling doesn't change that.

On SM-X200 using BigFooty.com mobile app

This has always been the case though. Amateurs always have teams forfeit as they struggle to put a team on the park, or even fold mid season.

A club has 45 players on the books, runs around getting commitments from another 10, who probably got talked into it, so they can then put in for the second team that lets everybody get a game.

Then the lukewarm only turn up sometimes, injury, work, and now your phoning people game day to get enough players to field that second team.

Is this a club struggling, or just caught in the space where there are too many for 1 team, but too few for 2.

Because somewhere, there may be a club that has a dozen players miss every week because they have too many. This doesn't mean footy is booming either.

I suspect there is still growth left in woman's footy, and the odd team folding or struggling doesn't change that.

On SM-X200 using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s tougher filling a team with 18 plus members, but I’m told that’s part of the attraction over other team sports. It’s inclusive

Never played myself btw

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before the official practice matches in a fortnight, who's meeting who for unofficial "match simulation" next weekend?

I'd be guessing for most, but these have been pretty much and/or definitely confirmed:

Sydney v GWS (August 5, 6pm, Tramway Oval)
Fremantle v Richmond (August 6, 12pm, Mandurah)
Collingwood v North Melb.
Gold Coast v Brisbane

Before the official practice matches in a fortnight, who's meeting who for unofficial "match simulation" next weekend?

I'd be guessing for most, but these have been pretty much and/or definitely confirmed:

Sydney v GWS (August 5, 6pm, Tramway Oval)
Fremantle v Richmond (August 6, 12pm, Mandurah)
Collingwood v North Melb.
Gold Coast v Brisbane

It sounds like Coll vs NM is tonight at 645pm at the AIA centre, are these the only 4 match sims being played?

It sounds like Coll vs NM is tonight at 645pm at the AIA centre, are these the only 4 match sims being played?
I think every team will have something this week/end. Whether they're publicised in advance might be a different matter.

Lauren Arnell, for example, during the Port Adelaide press conference on Monday said "we're very excited for our practice games". But I haven't come across any further details yet.

Essendon lost to Melbourne in today's match simulation at The Hangar.

Ess 6.4.40
Mel 12.12.84

Little info from the Essendon Twitter account, so most info I have is from Melbourne's Twitter account (and a player interview) and Gemma Bastiani.

Dees got out to a fast start to lead by 22 points at quarter time, then extend it to 33 points at half-time, Dons pulled it back to 23 points at three-quarter time, before thr Dees eventually won by 44 points.

For the multiple goal scorers (with the limited info published), Harris and Purcell kicked 2 each for the Dees, while Paige Scott kicked 2 for the Dons.

Tayla Hanks post-match mentioned how the momentum swung back and forth (GB also mentioned Dons did have periods of control), and she was thrown around to a lot of different spots/roles during the game.

When’s the deadline date for being able to name/recruit a replacement player?
Clubs have until August 23 to replace players in their squads of 30 deemed inactive for the season, which could be for reasons including injury, mental health, pregnancy or work commitments.
Note I'm quoting an archived version of that article, because the latest update neglects to mention the replacement cutoff date.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back