The downfall of Fox Footy.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
why do commentators yell?
Better question is why is every single play the best ever or "of the year". We had about 8 goals/marks of the year today and the most bizarrely the "best golden fist of the week" at one point.

The constant hyperbolic bullshit from the utter campaigners that call this game make it so unwatchable

Better question is why is every single play the best ever or "of the year". We had about 8 goals/marks of the year today and the most bizarrely the "best golden fist of the week" at one point.

The constant hyperbolic bullshit from the utter campaigners that call this game make it so unwatchable
My favourite is declaring the goal of the year after the first goal of the first game of the season

Boyohboywowwee

All Australian
Jun 3, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Agree with Huddo trying to get that 'killer' phrase in when there's a big moment.

IMO - big misses include: Bris v Geel - "Miracle on grass", this year's Showdown when Dawson kicked the winner at the Adelaide Oval etc.

Tries too hard with what sounds like prepared phrases - doesn't let the moment 'breathe' of its own accord, allowing the crowd to fill the audio.

I think the, "I see it, but I don't believe it" from 2005 went to his head considering how well it was received (and rightly so).

Also when he said something like, "BLOW THE BLOODY SIREN!" in the moments before full-time in a close one, sounded absolutely natural and was brilliant for the moment.
100% spot on

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
why do commentators yell?

PN, assume you're not hearing impaired or an excitable 12yo kiddie - these being the only two logical reasons I can think of for the increasing amount of over-the-top screaming/shouting constant adjectives and superlatives that has become the norm in recent times by most commentators calling the game..!

My wife (who rarely watches any footy other than Grand Finals) actually made me realize earlier this year how 'conditioned' I'd become to this nonsense. With the TV volume being usually barely at speaking level during the footy, from the kitchen she casually enquired; "What the hell are they screaming about?"...
I respond; "Oh that's just James Brayshaw yelling 'UNBELIEVEABLE' for the 10th time today because he thinks it's somehow an incredible feat when a player takes a diving chest mark - you know the same as most Auskicker's undertake every weekend..."

Moreover, while I'm told (by industry insiders) the broadcasters primary objective is to 'entertain and appeal to a broader audience', it's hard to believe Dwayne (mute on) Russell's incessant shouting while using ludicrous clichés from the first bounce for the entire match is actually achieving this..?

Last edited:

greekstyler

Debutant
Aug 16, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Imagine if the WC/Saints game was earlier in the day and the Bombers/Pies was the last of the round. Ball goes through, jumping around and hugging, crowd going apeshit "and now here's Bounce'"
Spot on. It's appalling. Needs proper post-match analysis as there were so many talking points. Had to wait until First Crack to get what every footy supporter wanted. Poor programming.

1hdyKBtcALTOtGYIk1G3qCzOM_zwA-dx5myszGv8DEo.png

how do people feel about the fox footy persons standing and shuffling side to side in front of the giant screen talking to each other?

May 24, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal

how do people feel about the fox footy persons standing and shuffling side to side in front of the giant screen talking to each other?

Not bad but they need to run to the screen like Kenny THE JET! Smith

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
On the Couch hasn't been good for years. Surface level analysis coupled with focus on the same bullshit teams every week e.g. Essendon and Carlton.
While I've not watched a 'footy show' of any description on a regular basis for years (Front Bar excluded), I never get sick of watching these short clip versions of 'On the Couch'... Shame there are not more recent edits.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
While I've not watched a 'footy show' of any description on a regular basis for years (Front Bar excluded), I never get sick of watching these short clip versions of 'On the Couch'... Shame there are not more recent edits.

LOL. Thanks for that. Id forgotten about them.
The first few seconds of the second tube is absolute peak jono brown.

incaciawin

Blues4ever
Aug 7, 2009
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
AFL 360 plummeting new lows tonight.....Whateley claiming that Ginnivan is being VICTIMISED because he missed on one free kick !....No mention either of their old mate Hardwick's shenanigans at the VFL . Where's you righteousness now guys ?

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray

I call it 'The Russell Effect'.

Count how many times Russell says 'that's as good as it gets/you'll ever see'.

Commentators have memories like goldfish - barely five seconds long.

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray

The drunk version is actually more coherent.

Mar 19, 2022
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
AFL 360 plummeting new lows tonight.....Whateley claiming that Ginnivan is being VICTIMISED because he missed on one free kick !....No mention either of their old mate Hardwick's shenanigans at the VFL . Where's you righteousness now guys ?
Can’t imagine how he will react when Selwood doesn’t get a free for ducking

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2010
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
One of the frustrating things is that we seem to see hardly anything of some of the best Fox Footy performers, or they're utilised in a very poor manner, while others seem to be on every show.

First Crack is a great show mainly because of the format and the hard-hitting approach they take, but also because it has people on it that are not overexposed. It's about the only program on Fox Footy that feels fresh.

Back