Coach Kenny Hinkley - should he stay or should he go (or will he be here until the end of time)?

Remove this Banner Ad

Over his 10 year tenure, he has a winning % against the top 4 teams of something like 25%. That increases slightly to something around 35-40% against top 8 teams.

In 10 years we have changed our list profile multiple times, changed assistants and changed areas of our game style. However one thing has always remained constant, we never consistently can beat the top sides which is needed come finals.

If over a 10 year period a successful system cannot be developed to compete regularly against the best, clearly its time to change the one thing that has been a constant through that whole period.

I'd argue you've probably never been a top side on paper over that period.

Yet you finished in the top 4 multiple times.

I think we’ve certainly had the cattle but not the game plan to complement it. We’ve had multiple AA and solid A/B grade players all over the field on every line however the game plan hasn’t complemented our strengths and therefor it falls apart against well drilled sides. Hence the terrible winning % against top teams when in a lot of those games, we lead during the match, we have more inside 50s, more disposals and more clearances but our structure and ball movement prevents us from winning which comes down to the coach.

We've had teams worthy of playing in Grand Finals at the least, especially when you compare them to some of the teams that have made and won it.

Between 2015 and 2019 the club didn't win a final and only had one finals appearance. This was off the back of making the 2014 Prelim and coming into 2015 as flag favourites after landing Ryder. The club was definitely good enough to make more than one finals appearance in that stretch. Hinkley should have been sacked at the end of 17, 18 or 19.

This table that appeared on the Port board says it all

FYA7q8lUUAEf2Ph

210 AFL Games as a Defender and All Australian Defender... not my logical choice as a Forwards Coach!
To be fair to Power, their Assistant Coaching ranks have been pillaged in recent years and that isn't easy to replace.

Matthew Nicks was Asst & Snr Asst Coach from 2013-2018
Michael Voss was Asst Coach from 2015-2021
Jarrod Schofield was Asst Coach from 2019-2021
probably others I don't know about...

Vossy the biggest loss in the last 12 months, and look at the influence he's gone on to have at Carlton. Hindsight now tells me some of the run&gun of the Power midfield 2018-2021 had Vossy's fingerprints on it.
In the defence of Bassett being a forwards coach I think any assistant coach that stays in the system for a long time and has ambitions to be a senior coach would demand and seek via their contract that they coach different lines during their tenure.
Professional development is important in any field including the AFL.
Imagine interviewing for a Senior Coaching position and you've had 9 years at one club as an assistant for which the only line you've managed is the defence, you'd be doing your career a disservice.
If after 9 years you've managed the forwards, defenders and midfielders then your much more well rounded for a Senior Coaching Position.
I'm sure Bassett knows how's to structure a forward line when he's spent his whole career playing and studying how to negate them.
In saying that I think it's well past time for Hinkley and Bassett to both P.O.Q.

King Kenny is Port Adelaide. A brilliant coach, motivator and tactician. Has achieved a lot with a little. Playing group just a bit too spuddy to be contenders IMO.

Only knock on King Kenny is he is garbage gameday coach. Just sits there drinking fn coke zero.

What happened in the prelim last year unbelievable. Just a big fat massive choke, players pathetic, Kenny should have run down to the boundary to give them a serve but he just cracked a can of coke zero like "well s**t it ain't working, gonna be a long night boys!"

Its hard. I guess it depends whether Port believe they can compete next year or not. If they do believe, keep him. If they think they need to rejig and get some fresh perspective and a mini re-build, they should ditch him.

I think he is a good coach, and 2020 will probably go down as a missed opportunity.

Perhaps time for a change/mini refresh at Port, but Ken has got the absolute best out of the lists he’s had, which have generally overachieved.

Beaten in some big finals, sure, but went awfully close in a few prelims & they were against Hawks & Tigers, who were much better sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've had teams worthy of playing in Grand Finals at the least, especially when you compare them to some of the teams that have made and won it.

Between 2015 and 2019 the club didn't win a final and only had one finals appearance. This was off the back of making the 2014 Prelim and coming into 2015 as flag favourites after landing Ryder. The club was definitely good enough to make more than one finals appearance in that stretch. Hinkley should have been sacked at the end of 17, 18 or 19.

This table that appeared on the Port board says it all

FYA7q8lUUAEf2Ph

I'd disagree about the list to be honest. The above graph proves it too. Maybe 2020 you could have snuck a grand final appearance.

Nightmare scenario for Port Adelaide fans, if every game went to the favourite except for PA v Coll next week.....

Rd 20 Geel d WB, BL d Rich, PA d Coll, GC d WC, St K d Haw
Rd 21 PA d Rich, Frem d WB, GC d Haw, Geel d St K
Rd 22 WB d GWS, Rich d Haw, PA d Ess, Geel d GC, Bris d St K
Rd 23 Rich d Ess, WB d Haw, GC d Nth, PA d Adel, Syd d St K

Every match margin of 4 goals

Final H&A ladder
WB ahead of PA on 48 by 0.2%
Rich 46
GC, St K 44

Port Adelaide don't make finals, but Kochie makes a case for Ken to stay on.

Absolute nightmare.
I think even if you slipped into 7th or 8th he's gone

I'd disagree about the list to be honest. The above graph proves it too. Maybe 2020 you could have snuck a grand final appearance.
So then if we're going on your opinion then after 10 years if they coach/recruitment team etc can't put together a good enough list then they should be cleaned out. Either way the man has to go.

So the flip is he’s had 10 years to develop a list that can contest and he hasn’t done that

Either way he’s had enough time

A lot of Port Adelaide fans' view.

Yeah…they would be over rating the players.

There are a lot of very good players on their list…

…but are they REALLY as good as their equivalents from other top teams?

They fall a bit short.

Take someone like Charlie Dixon for example…compare his record across his peak years to guys like Reiwoldt, Hawkins, Kennedy, Cameron…he’s a very good player but he comes in easily 5th on that list, when he’s not injured…or suspended.

It’s the difference in being a really good team that plays finals and actually being involved right at the pointy end.

I think the club come out with a succession plan like dons and hawks did once the season is over to save face. 10 years with no gf appearances is too long for a coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back