NRL NRL 2022 Season - Round 20

Apr 8, 2006
2014 or 2008. Probably 2008.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns
Think some people need to think through it a bit more. Think of the gay 15 year old kid who loves league. The same kid probably worries every day about how his family and friends may react if he decides to go public with his sexuality - things like this make it easier for people like that.

Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
Because the LBGTQI community are so tolerant and respectful that they dress up as Priests/Nuns and openly mock Christianity during Mardi Gras. Again, respect is a two way street.
Well, would it help if I told you the vast majority of said folk are gay, it’s a piss take on the hypocrisy of Religon, it’s th reason Australi has to import Priests from overseas, gay Catholic kids don’t have to hide anymore

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Just for those who aren’t sure why this is such a big deal to LGBTQI people, I want to show you this “public service ad” from about 1987.

35 years later this ad still causes trauma to queer people, because this is how they were portrayed - the grim reaper coming to kill your family.

This comes with an enormous trigger warning, especially if you’re queer and haven’t seen this ad before.

For the straights, this is why inclusion and acceptance is so important - we don’t have the luxury of taking it for granted. And those of us old enough to remember this ad don’t want future generations experiencing the same trauma - which is what probably happens if you’re a gay Manly fan on the northern beaches whose players are telling him that they don’t deserve equality.

No one ever made a “public service ad” warning people against religion because your kids will be raped. That’s why “no one ever asks for religious tolerance” is a fking dumb argument - no one’s persecuted them in about 2000 years.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Kids are no longer afraid of coming out tho. Especially lesbian teens. But the gay teens are still openly visible and all their peers are accepting. Not like it used to be growing up in the past decades.

But i guess they have to keep pushing the message thru so the masses don't lapse back.

What a ridiculous and flagrantly incorrect generalisation. As recently as 2 months ago we had high profile politicians playing culture wars with queer kids.

You’re still probably not coming out if you go to a religious school, and that burden is still probably causing pain.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

2 eazy

Senior List
Jul 29, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I find it quite ironic a jersey meant to be "inclusive" has excluded half the team. This is a crucial game and for players to miss proves their how they feel about their beliefs.
At the end of the day it's each to their own, I didn't attend Madi Gras does it make a bigot.

Kids are no longer afraid of coming out tho. Especially lesbian teens. But the gay teens are still openly visible and all their peers are accepting. Not like it used to be growing up in the past decades.

But i guess they have to keep pushing the message thru so the masses don't lapse back.
It's better than it was 20+ years ago. If it were truly no big deal to peers though, why are so few male athletes (particularly) out in Australian sport?!?

Manly's intentions were good but the secrecy has done them in.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's better than it was 20+ years ago. If it were truly no big deal to peers though, why are so few male athletes (particularly) out in Australian sport?!?

Manly's intentions were good but the secrecy has done them in.
I mean among the youth. Teenagers today are far more evolved than teenagers of the past ... Bullying, mental health, sexual preference, gender identity, gay marriage, transgen, and other stuff like global warming, human rights, racism, sexism, domestic violence, drink driving, drugs, simping, objectifying females, etc

All the propaganda, re-education, etc will do that collectively over time.

The other person did raise a fair point...about catholic schools and islamic schools would be the same. But among their own peers, outside of school and all that indoctrination that kids don't necessarily fall for, they treat each other much better than generations past did.

Those who grew up in the 60s-80s will know what i mean....constant bullying, sexual abuse, alienation, bashings in school for whatever, cos you were small, racism and name calling etc.

Not saying racism and homophobia are eliminated, but the world has changed a damn lot in 60, 50, even 30 or 20 or 10 years.

Aug 27, 2007
Block 108 as loud as any
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Everton_East Freo_Atalanta_Tranmere
Feel free to accuse all you want, They also play on the day of the sabbath, Not to mention the 7 players are covered in Tattoos. Leviticus 19.28 “‘Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord."
Such hypocrisy. Using verses of their mythical book that suit them and ignoring others.

Just using "Religious and cultural beliefs" as a cover for what is pure bigotry and homophobia

Don’t forget the gambling. Big betting sponsor on the front of their kits. And we know how much organised religions love gambling ;)

Borisdog

Club Legend
Jul 31, 2009
Townsville
AFL Club
West Coast
All views need to be included.

All voices should be heard.

Provided your opinion and voice agrees with any current "pile on".

If not you're a bigot, RWNJ, out of touch, insert appropriate "put down"

I don't GAF one way or another about what people do in their private lives or what they believe in, or how selectively they want to use those beliefs. Gay, God, hamsters, whatever. IDGAF. It's theirs to do as they will opinion wise. That's why it's called opinion.

What I do object STRONGLY to is any side of the argument banishing the opinion of the other side, whilst themselves moaning that they're being "vilified".

These guys have their opinion, just as others have theirs.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
All views need to be included.

All voices should be heard.

Provided your opinion and voice agrees with any current "pile on".

If not you're a bigot, RWNJ, out of touch, insert appropriate "put down"

I don't GAF one way or another about what people do in their private lives or what they believe in, or how selectively they want to use those beliefs. Gay, God, hamsters, whatever. IDGAF. It's theirs to do as they will opinion wise. That's why it's called opinion.

What I do object STRONGLY to is any side of the argument banishing the opinion of the other side, whilst themselves moaning that they're being "vilified".

These guys have their opinion, just as others have theirs.
I mean, their opinion is poorly disguised homophobia/transphobia so any defense of that is a defense of homophobia/transphobia... would you be as forigving if 7 guys refused to wear the indigenous jersey for religious beliefs?

Borisdog

Club Legend
Jul 31, 2009
Townsville
AFL Club
West Coast
I mean, their opinion is poorly disguised homophobia/transphobia so any defense of that is a defense of homophobia/transphobia... would you be as forigving if 7 guys refused to wear the indigenous jersey for religious beliefs?

Yep. I just don't think there's anything to "forgive"

Although show me an actual example where your hypothetical might occur.

Your opinion is poorly disguised homophobia/transphobia has caused the players to hold their opinion. Mine is that it's just an opinion. Opinions are personal. It really is not something to get all bent out of shape over.

I don't like eggs. It's an opinion of mine. But hey, you do what ever you want with them. I've genuinely got bigger things in my life to get excited about.

Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
I think we established quite some time ago that being gay or trans is natural. The previous views were dictated by views rote learnt and spewed out by religon, they have been debunked. Sadly far too many still are living in the dark ages.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yep. I just don't think there's anything to "forgive"

Although show me an actual example where your hypothetical might occur.

Your opinion is poorly disguised homophobia/transphobia has caused the players to hold their opinion. Mine is that it's just an opinion. Opinions are personal. It really is not something to get all bent out of shape over.

I don't like eggs. It's an opinion of mine. But hey, you do what ever you want with them. I've genuinely got bigger things in my life to get excited about.
Yeh bullshit dude. Firstly it is homophobia, you wanna call that an opinion then thats your prerogative. That they want to hold that position because theyve been called out for it is none of my concern, some people dont like a spade being called a spade.

Secondly your egg example, do you think your personal dislike of eggs is actively contributing to some of the most at risk and oppressed members of our community having higher instances of suicide and mental health issues? Youve got bigger things in your life to get excited about what a charmed and privileged position to have, meanwhile this is at the core of the LGBTIQ+ community very right to existence. Take a minute to put yourself in their shoes that after having to fight for the right to be considered equal for the entire duration of civilized existence you think their ongoing struggle is the same as you not liking eggs... what a stupid comparison.

Borisdog

Club Legend
Jul 31, 2009
Townsville
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeh bullshit dude. Firstly it is homophobia, you wanna call that an opinion then thats your prerogative. That they want to hold that position because theyve been called out for it is none of my concern, some people dont like a spade being called a spade.

Secondly your egg example, do you think your personal dislike of eggs is actively contributing to some of the most at risk and oppressed members of our community having higher instances of suicide and mental health issues? Youve got bigger things in your life to get excited about what a charmed and privileged position to have, meanwhile this is at the core of the LGBTIQ+ community very right to existence. Take a minute to put yourself in their shoes that after having to fight for the right to be considered equal for the entire duration of civilized existence you think their ongoing struggle is the same as you not liking eggs... what a stupid comparison.

Your opinion dude, and well done.

Nice hyperbole too. Not surprising, but nice all the same.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Your opinion dude, and well done.

Nice hyperbole too. Not surprising, but nice all the same.
My opinion that homophobia is a s**t position, think we all take that as fact at this point.

I cant begin to tell you where youre missing the forest for the trees here. Just a really really s**t take that actually adversely affects an already seriously oppressed and vilified group.

Borisdog

Club Legend
Jul 31, 2009
Townsville
AFL Club
West Coast
My opinion that homophobia is a s**t position, think we all take that as fact at this point.

I cant begin to tell you where youre missing the forest for the trees here. Just a really really s**t take that actually adversely affects an already seriously oppressed and vilified group.

My opinion on homophobia is exactly the same as yours, in essence.

The bit where the forest and the trees comes into it for me is we've got a few blokes that won't wear a jumper, for their own beliefs, opinions, whatever, and the massive jump into vilification, homophobia, and the rest of the multitude of column inches that will be expended ( Here and elsewhere ) over something that these 7 guys HAVE NEVER SAID.

Jump all over them by all means when they do a Folau, but NOT UNTIL THEY DO SO.

The descent into hyperbole from what is a pretty unsurprising stance from a couple of players, is what I find to be a s**t take.

We can't insist the players have the wrong views and pile into them whilst at the same time patting ourselves on the back about how much we care and how inclusive we are. It is the exact same bare faced hypocrisy we accuse people with views opposing of.

I'll leave the philosophy to you from here.

I've said my piece and a circular argument serves no purpose other than to waste each of our respective days.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
My opinion on homophobia is exactly the same as yours, in essence.

The bit where the forest and the trees comes into it for me is we've got a few blokes that won't wear a jumper, for their own beliefs, opinions, whatever, and the massive jump into vilification, homophobia, and the rest of the multitude of column inches that will be expended ( Here and elsewhere ) over something that these 7 guys HAVE NEVER SAID.

Jump all over them by all means when they do a Folau, but NOT UNTIL THEY DO SO.

The descent into hyperbole from what is a pretty unsurprising stance from a couple of players, is what I find to be a s**t take.

We can't insist the players have the wrong views and pile into them whilst at the same time patting ourselves on the back about how much we care and how inclusive we are. It is the exact same bare faced hypocrisy we accuse people with views opposing of.

I'll leave the philosophy to you from here.

I've said my piece and a circular argument serves no purpose other than to waste each of our respective days.
So what possible position or explanation could they have for not wearing the pride jumper that doesnt ultimately boil down to homophobia?

I think its pretty evident that it is so why do we need to wait for their piece? Im sick of the defence of it, hidden behind religious reasons or cultural reasons or generation gaps, its all just a veil for homophobia so no, if they come out and say "it was actually the jumper was made from a different material and im allergic to that" then ill apologise but in the real world there is absolutely no other position than "we hate gays" for them refusing to play.

Youve made it clear that even if that is their position thats okay cause its just their opinion, no different to you not liking eggs. Thats complete bullshit and diminishes a clear hate filled position for a group of people (hence my comparison to racism).

So is the problem that its not homophobic because they havent explicitly said it is? Or is the problem that is doesnt matter that its homophobic because thats just their opinion and they are entitled to it?

So what possible position or explanation could they have for not wearing the pride jumper that doesnt ultimately boil down to homophobia?

I think its pretty evident that it is so why do we need to wait for their piece? Im sick of the defence of it, hidden behind religious reasons or cultural reasons or generation gaps, its all just a veil for homophobia so no, if they come out and say "it was actually the jumper was made from a different material and im allergic to that" then ill apologise but in the real world there is absolutely no other position than "we hate gays" for them refusing to play.

Youve made it clear that even if that is their position thats okay cause its just their opinion, no different to you not liking eggs. Thats complete bullshit and diminishes a clear hate filled position for a group of people (hence my comparison to racism).

So is the problem that its not homophobic because they havent explicitly said it is? Or is the problem that is doesnt matter that its homophobic because thats just their opinion and they are entitled to it?

I just don’t get how hard it is to be accepting, get on with each other. Why people need to be against someone’s sexuality is beyond me

Back