2022 Richmond draft picks (& deathriding North)

Remove this Banner Ad

looks like a deep draft

Dunno, have not paid to much attention to it but we should have some good picks to use. We can hit the draft then go hard in 2023. I have had some preliminary analysis but not looked into it too deep into the overall composition bearing in mind other players will probably rise and emerge to

FoxSports, July 14th, assessing clubs needs in the ND

Draft picks: 11, 19, 29

List state of play: The Tigers need another star midfielder, particularly considering Kane Lambert’s long-term hip issue and that Trent Cotchin remains one of their best clearance players. While Shai Bolton, Jayden Short and Liam Baker are all stepping up, the Tigers are still ranked 15th for contested possession differential.

Ideal draft prospects: Assuming most of the big inside ball-winners are gone by the Tigers’ pick, there should be still plenty of gun mids to choose from.

Victorian duo Cam Mackenzie and Mitch Szybkowski have shown how capable they are as ball-winning midfielders, while SA’s Mattaes Phillipou continues to impress with every game he plays.

A wildcard would be WA’s Reuben Ginbey — a 188cm prospect that’s been playing in defence for East Perth but in the midfield for WA in the champs, averaging 20.0 disposals and 10.5 contested possessions.

I rarely watch u18s so just basing this opinion on what I’ve read but Szybkowski sounds like the big bodied clearance machine we need
Philipou likely gone by our pick.

What's a bit interesting is for us should the AFL give a priority pick we'd almost prefer it was an end of 1st round rather than a start of 2nd round to ensure we get the max possible value should people come calling in the break between round 1 and 2

What's a bit interesting is for us should the AFL give a priority pick we'd almost prefer it was an end of 1st round rather than a start of 2nd round to ensure we get the max possible value should people come calling in the break between round 1 and 2

With Chris Scott’s twin brother Brad Scott making that decision, what are our chances?

Zero imo, he will do what suits Richmond least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fresh off a bumper draft hand last year, Richmond is once again the envy of other clubs as it eyes three top-30 selections in this year’s national draft.
The Tigers had five top-30 picks in the 2021 National Draft, choosing Josh Gibcus (pick 9), Tom Brown (pick 17), Tyler Sonsie (pick 28), Samuel Banks (pick 29) and Judson Clarke (pick 30).
A further three high picks this year would help accelerate a regeneration on the run.
After round 19, Richmond held picks 9, 19 and 27.
Pick 19 was passed on by North Melbourne as part of the Callum Coleman-Jones trade last year.
The Tigers’ selections are likely to be pushed back a couple of places, with an early bid expected on Brisbane father-son prospect Will Ashcroft, while North Melbourne is posturing for a priority pick.

Josh Gibcus was one of five top-30 draft picks for Richmond last year. Picture: Michael Klein

However, if Matthew Clarke and the Richmond recruiting team can nail their picks again this year, it could set the Tigers up for some more success in the not-too-distant future.
Watch every blockbuster AFL match this weekend Live & Ad-Break Free In-Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >

If North Melbourne does not receive a priority pick from the AFL, its next selection after pick one in this year’s draft would not be until pick 55.
Gold Coast and West Coast sit alongside Richmond as the clubs with the strongest draft hands this year.
The Suns currently hold four picks in the first 33 selections and the Eagles have four picks inside the first 38.

[COLOR=var(--root-color)]

[/COLOR]

FoxSports, July 14th, assessing clubs needs in the ND

Draft picks: 11, 19, 29

List state of play: The Tigers need another star midfielder, particularly considering Kane Lambert’s long-term hip issue and that Trent Cotchin remains one of their best clearance players. While Shai Bolton, Jayden Short and Liam Baker are all stepping up, the Tigers are still ranked 15th for contested possession differential.

Ideal draft prospects: Assuming most of the big inside ball-winners are gone by the Tigers’ pick, there should be still plenty of gun mids to choose from.

Victorian duo Cam Mackenzie and Mitch Szybkowski have shown how capable they are as ball-winning midfielders, while SA’s Mattaes Phillipou continues to impress with every game he plays.

A wildcard would be WA’s Reuben Ginbey — a 188cm prospect that’s been playing in defence for East Perth but in the midfield for WA in the champs, averaging 20.0 disposals and 10.5 contested possessions.

I rarely watch u18s so just basing this opinion on what I’ve read but Szybkowski sounds like the big bodied clearance machine we need
Philipou likely gone by our pick.
Please don't shoot me down, what does this look like if we trade Dusty and a fringe player and trade those picks into top 10?

Please don't shoot me down, what does this look like if we trade Dusty and a fringe player and trade those picks into top 10?
lol, not into shooting down fellow Tiger supporters.

I’m terrible at hypotheticals. I’m counting on him staying, but if it come down to a trade I’d rather a young inside mid or kpf than trading up scenario. I reckon we have a good draft hand anyway and from what I’ve read there’s not the depth in the top half a dozen that there was last year.

But hey I am no Adrian Dodoro when it comes to trading

Want in order of preference at our first pick;-

Cadman - 196cm 88kg KF, GW Rebels
Jefferson - 195cm 78kg KF, Oakleigh Chargers
Hewitt - 185cm 84kg Inside Mid, Swan Districts

Want in order of preference at our first pick;-

Cadman - 196cm 88kg KF, GW Rebels
Jefferson - 195cm 78kg KF, Oakleigh Chargers
Hewitt - 185cm 84kg Inside Mid, Swan Districts

Cadman probably gets taken earlier alot of clubs are after a KPF, Hollands and George are also great options around our 1st pick.

Swans have 2 first rounders
I’d say we’d get 1 if we trade Dusty which I hope doesn’t happen

Hypothetically
Pick 9, 12, 19, 27

Which gives us room to go after Taranto/Hopper and stay with a healthy draft hand

I’m fascinated to see our approach this off season
I can’t wait. Hoping we get into finals first though!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back