Coach Kenny Hinkley - should he stay or should he go (or will he be here until the end of time)?

Remove this Banner Ad

2020 was their chance. 5 point PF loss at home. Would’ve been an interesting GF against Geelong. Have really just become an average outfit, very stale. Would not be surprised if they changed coach and strategy if they pushed back up the ladder quickly.

It might happen with a new assistant appointment to support KH. 2020 and 2021 they were very strong. What’s the age profile like? Seems like there’s a heap of talent there but it’s not really coming to fruition. Good trade period might put them back in the mix. It’s hard to know, things can turn very quickly.

Last edited:
Western Bulldogs and West Coast supporters, who have both jagged an unlikely flag in the past decade, having the gall to say that Port supporters “just overrate our list”. No, Ken Hinkley is just a very very bad coach who is awful on game day, has never had any sort of “Plan B” in any sort of situation, and has admittted that he lost the passion for coaching when his mate Phil Walsh tragically died in 2015. He’s taken a lot of money from the club in poor faith. If he coached in Victoria, even for a minnow like Footscray, North or St Kilda, he would have been driven out of town 5-6 years ago
So what’s happening down there? Why is he able to remain appointed? I mean Port Adelaide is Port Adelaide, a leviathan of a club in the SANFL that should be looking to replicate a similar level of superiority or desire to, in the AFL.

Surely there is some stuff going on behind the scenes that is not right. Board etc.

Port fans overrating their list and their club. Rinse and repeat year after year.

The personal crap/abuse they post about him on their board is disgraceful. Just a pathetic supporter base who absolutely lives up to their bogan reputation. Wanting a coach sacked is one thing but the level of vitriol they expel is on another level. No coach or person should be subjected to that. He’s a football coach not a war criminal.

And they do drastically overrate their list. The comical belief they harbour that Hinkley is the only thing stopping them from being a dynasty side and living up to their ‘exist to win premierships’ creed is a good source of humour. As if that separates them from the 17 other sides.

In any case… 1 in 25 years in the big league. Just a small fish in a big pond with a feral fanbase.
C65EE08B-9BB9-40AF-9C4A-5101D1916671.jpeg

2020 was their chance. 5 point PF loss at home. Would’ve been an interesting GF against Geelong. Have really just become an average outfit, very stale. Would not be surprised if they changed coach and strategy if they pushed back up the ladder quickly.

It might happen with a new assistant appointment to support KH. 2020 and 2021 they were very strong. What’s the age profile like? Seems like there’s a heap of talent there but it’s not really coming to fruition. Good trade period might put them back in the mix. It’s hard to know, things can turn very quickly.

About to lose Amon, while Boak and Gray are in their Swansong, and Dixon and Jonas don't play a style conducive to longevity and are 31.

Add in they've got likes of Dumont, Motlop, McKenzie, Clurey, Mayes, Lycett as C grade or worse senior players, there's a lot to clean out.

I think they'd drop before they get better personally, great core for future if it all hits their potential (Marshall, Butters, Rozee, Georgiades, Drew, Jones for a start) but they need a couple more I'd say to really contend in 4-5 years.

2 to 3 top 10 pick talents over next couple of years will work really well for them.

Last edited:
Port should have chucked him years ago. They should at least do so now and go hard at Clarkson, with the lure of a much better squad than North. Failing that, they should hire old boy Adam Kingsley.

Ken's a very good coach. Whilst he's had times he's struggled for scoring he coaches an up tempo, skillful game plan and has developed a lot of good players.

Absolute myth and has been since about 2014. Port are 14th for most points scored but 15th for most points scored against. Hinkley has us playing the most boring, dour style of football in the competition.

Port should have chucked him years ago. They should at least do so now and go hard at Clarkson, with the lure of a much better squad than North. Failing that, they should hire old boy Adam Kingsley.

Clarkson to North so maybe Kingsley to Port, if the powers that be think Hinkley’s time is up.

It’s probably time for a change of the guard at Alberton.

Absolute myth and has been since about 2014. Port are 14th for most points scored but 15th for most points scored against. Hinkley has us playing the most boring, dour style of football in the competition.

You can tell the people that don't actually watch us play

Clarkson to North so maybe Kingsley to Port, if the powers that be think Hinkley’s time is up.

It’s probably time for a change of the guard at Alberton.
I reckon Clarkson won't actually go to North. He can earn great money anywhere, so why wouldn't he pick a team closer to premiership contention? Port would be top of the list, surely. Their roster has more talent than any other viable option for Clarkson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve read your board and its your fans that are spouting tripe. Invoking ‘the creed’ is more often than not a comical interlude to the over the top hateful rubbish that litters any discussion about him.

And this coming from someone who does think he should be moved on. Definitely has had his chance and had long enough but unbeknownst to your fans he isn’t a saboteur solely intent on destroying your club. He has made 3 prelims, two lost by less than a kick and luck has deserted your side on those occasions.

He’s a football coach who should he moved on (by the board). Nothing more, nothing less.
It's this sort of fun that I like to read.

The common BF nonPort viewpoint being
"Oh your list is ordinary and it's Ken that made 3 prelims".

Without actually following the club, the player development, the in game tactics, the games and gold passes at selection, etc.

No, twice, you knob end. One of those being in the covid affected season.

After 2014 we had 5 years of pus, making and losing an elimination final once. He should have been sacked before 2020 rolled around.

As for the last not being good, in 2014 we had the consensus best player in the comp. Last year we had the brownlow medallist. Consistent high achiever Boak. How has our list been any worse than 2017 Richmond? Or the Bulldogs in 2016?

There's nothing wrong with the farking list. And if there is, whose fault is that? Ken has had an entire decade and turned over the entire squad in that time, bar Boak and Gray. He had an extremely well funded rank of coaching assistants.

And he's delivered sweet * all, the guy is a loser and a failure and I'm sick of people who don't watch our club making excuses for him. He should have been sacked 5 years ago.

The list was maybe 5-6th best IMO

Uncle Kenny produced a money making powerhouse in Port. And as one neutral when we think of Adelaide oval we think of port.

Assuming there’s a twinge of an attempt to be genuine in your screed,

The Adelaide Oval redevelopment and associated revolution of SA’s football governance structure was agreed upon in mid-2011, before Keith Thomas and David Koch, let alone Ken Hinkley, walked through the doors.

It's this sort of fun that I like to read.

The common BF nonPort viewpoint being
"Oh your list is ordinary and it's Ken that made 3 prelims".

Without actually following the club, the player development, the in game tactics, the games and gold passes at selection, etc.

I'd back the majority view that has no bias tbh 🤣🤣

In any case… 1 in 25 years in the big league.

6 top-2 finishes at the end of the minor round in the past 20 completed seasons for just 2 GF’s and 1 flag = ‘the lists are bad and the coaches are good!’

🤪

Disgraceful if they sack beloved uncle Kenny.

He is much beloved and single handily stopped port from being sold off and disband.

History will remember him with a statue at Adelaide oval.

Power should be happy they aren't Wooden spooners. The second they sack uncle Kenny and they fall flat on their face they must be punished you have struggling teams needing coach but port all high and mighty won't accept a 12 to top 6 finish disgraceful.

There's a reason why 10 players said they would leave if uncle Kenny was given the boot.
Yes. Uncle Kenny single handedly saved the Port Adelaide Football Club. How on earth did we survive the preceding 142 years without him?

Not sure if some opposition fans are serious about wanting Port to keep Hinkley. Probably because they want Port to keep being mediocre. Thats sports fandom I guess.

Surprised over the lack of action post the PF last year - that performance alone should have forced some changes at the club. After 10 years with no GFs, I wouldn't blame Port fans for wanting a new voice. 2014 and 2020 were their big chances. Coaches in recent times have been sacked despite doing more, even making a GF at some point.

You've been 2nd, 4th, 1st and 4th for disposals the last 4 years.

Play on percentage isn't widely available but I'd imagine Port have been no worse than middle of the road there. Lots of the ball - move it on quickly - that's high tempo footy.

As I said, he's struggled for scoring at times, and I think a more direct and crudely powerful game plan might be required for him to take a side deep in to finals. But for a young team getting your hands on the ball, sharing it around and having the skills to hold possession is a good start.

Not sure if some opposition fans are serious about wanting Port to keep Hinkley. Probably because they want Port to keep being mediocre. Thats sports fandom I guess.

Surprised over the lack of action post the PF last year - that performance alone should have forced some changes at the club. After 10 years with no GFs, I wouldn't blame Port fans for wanting a new voice. 2014 and 2020 were their big chances. Coaches in recent times have been sacked despite doing more, even making a GF at some point.

Colonel Hinkley has somehow got an iron grip on all major media outlets, like some sort of modern day Goebbels. The complete invulnerability from criticism he has been able to command from both Vic and SA based media is astounding.

This is the same guy that refuses to coach in the last year of his contract because it's too much pwessure

Last edited:
Reckon a big reason Kinkley has survived at PAFC so long is our coaching culture here in the AFL.

The last coach who was sacked for constant underachieving in finals was Grant 'Cornflakes' Thomas.

At any rate 10 years coaching at any club without a premiership, let alone making the Grand Final should be grounds for automatic dismissal alone.

Unfortunately as long as Kochie is there, feels like Crusty Ken is safe.

Just a rotten situation for Port fans

The five minute fireman slots coaches repeatedly from other clubs that have underperformed Yet he is adamant that Hinckley stays at Port.

Wouldn't have anything to do with Kern saving his career?

More likely he knows his brother will be out of a job if ken is sacked.

Reckon a big reason Kinkley has survived at PAFC so long is our coaching culture here in the AFL.

The last coach who was sacked for constant underachieving in finals was Grant 'Cornflakes' Thomas.

At any rate 10 years coaching at any club without a premiership, let alone making the Grand Final should be grounds for automatic dismissal alone.

Unfortunately as long as Kochie is there, feels like Crusty Ken is safe.

Just a rotten situation for Port fans

That implies ken is even able to consistently make finals, not run at 50% just getting there. One of those "campaigns" was a pointless elimination final loss too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back