Covers

Remove this Banner Ad

Song: Tobacco Road

Originally written and recorded by John D. Loudermilk. Released in 1960

The original sunk without making an impact but other artists had success with it.

Lou Rawls from 1963:

Nashville Teens in 1964:

Jefferson Airplane from 1966:

Edgar Winter from 1970

Supposedly the last time Jimi Hendrix played on stage too. Pretty rough recording

Song: Tobacco Road

Originally written and recorded by John D. Loudermilk. Released in 1960

The original sunk without making an impact but other artists had success with it.

Lou Rawls from 1963:

Nashville Teens in 1964:

Jefferson Airplane from 1966:

Edgar Winter from 1970

Supposedly the last time Jimi Hendrix played on stage too. Pretty rough recording

Interesting! I like the Nashville Teens version best but like how Lou Rawls sings it - can hear the lyrics better.

So many covers!
Frijid Pink

Rare Earth

Eric Burdon - later did 13 -14 minute versions

Song: Season of the Witch

Original version by Donovan recorded in 1966

Lots of solid covers done over the years.

Julie Driscoll from 1968:

Great version also from 1968 by Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper and Stephen Stills

Donovan apparently loved this 1969 take by Lou Rawls

More recently: Lana Del Rey from 2019

Song: Season of the Witch

Original version by Donovan recorded in 1966

Lots of solid covers done over the years.

Julie Driscoll from 1968:

Great version also from 1968 by Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper and Stephen Stills

Donovan apparently loved this 1969 take by Lou Rawls

More recently: Lana Del Rey from 2019

The Julie Driscoll album with Season of the Witch, was the very first LP I ever bought. Still one of my favourites.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excellent right hand.
I posted a shorter version of this earlier. In this version she explains her playing technique. You can really see her right hand in this clip.
White Freight Liner Blues by Willie Van Zandt.
What a talent, wonderful voice (listen to them big trucks whine) and boy can she play a guitar. International Bluegrass Music Association’s Guitar Player of the Year.

Last edited:
Can't go past Time After Time by Miles Davis in terms of a sincere and subtle execution.

A few Bob Dylan covers

Richard Hell & The Voidoids - Going Going Gone which was on Dylan's Planet Waves album

The Dream Syndicate - Blind Willie McTell, an unreleased (at the time of this cover) Dylan song

Yo La Tengo - I Threw It All Away which was on Nashville Skyline

Minor trivia. This album also has the original version of "Free The People" that was a minor hit for Sherbet in Australia. Never was a Sherbet fan so it put me off listening to it a second time until about 15 years after I brought the CD re-issue on Water Records, but its actually an above average country rock singer-songwriter album with some great vocals and musicianship on a couple of tracks including this cover of "AATW". "Detroit to Buffalo" is another one I really like - which has also been covered.

Something that's been out about a year that I got last week on cassette - An album of mellow spacey Sun Ra Covers by the Bitchin' Bajas

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back