Would a Richmond Premiership in 2022 make the team one of the best of all time?

PrinceCharles

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
They would've been smashed.

Bulldogs beat them using tactics that are now far more refined, they'd never get through any strong defensive zone. Their only other competitor in that year that had a shot at beating them limped into the finals without the best player in the competition at the time. Let's assume they'd have the same training, nutritional and sports science aspects modern teams take for granted. There's a reason why you don't see big bags of goals often, no 100+ goalkickers - Lloyd wouldn't be nearly as effective today as he was back then as a good example. They'd have to adapt to today's tactics, when their entire careers have been spent on playing with a specific way, with specific gameplans. That lack of priming and adaption would be the biggest reasons why they'd lose to the Hawks and Tigers.

Not to mention that this same side failed to replicate their success, getting physically demolished by a Lions outfit. Another dynasty side. The Hawks and Tiggers were just as physical as them, which just vindicates my earlier point. One of the things I really regret in my time watching footy, was that there was no Carlton vs Essendon GF in 2000 where Carlton had all their stars including a fully fit Kouta. Melbourne were not the 2nd best side that year, and it showed in the GF. Anything could happen, I have no doubt they would've shat their pants. Sure, people can point to the PF but that was a complete write-off anyway given we were practically on one leg and relied on a firing Kouta. Round 20 was the best example, the two teams were both in form and neck and neck until they kicked away in the final quarter, while Carlton were 2 down on the bench (which included Kouta).
What a bizarre post...

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
We’ll make finals then beat the pies in the EF, book it in. Then we’ll crash :(

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Well, I cooked this prediction. Freo are shocking and can’t kick more than 60 points. Pies will make top 4 and we won’t see them in finals.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Not really. 3-1 with a win against Sydney would get top 4. Or 2-2 if Sydney / Freo drop a game

Great win by the pies today. Would’ve been better if port wore the prison bars so you could rub it in even more

Top 4 spot almost yours now probably only need 2 more wins.

Back