purplearmy

Club Legend
Suspended
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
If Geelong actually get to play their finals at home they’ll make the grand final. A disgrace if they aren’t allowed that.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
If Geelong actually get to play their finals at home they’ll make the grand final. A disgrace if they aren’t allowed that.
Normally I'd agree, but a third of our ground is currently a construction site, and current games only have enough space for 500 oppo fans. Next year, when we have a capacity of 40k+ it's a no brainer. Footy Park and Subiaco used to hold finals with that capacity, and the Gabba hosted a GF with that capacity.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
lol, you don't think Geelong would be worried about facing them week 1 of finals?
This is the same smug attitude many of our supporters had in 2019 when we faced Collingwood in the QF having finished the year as minor premiers.

Bollocks. We'd gone W/L/W/L/W/L for 10 weeks and somehow staggered to our first minor premiership in 11 years. I doubt any Geelong supporter was taking Collingwood lightly. We had absolutely no reason to be cocky. They just beat us, fair and square.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
What a dumb take.

We play Richmond once (MCG), Collingwood once (MCG), Sydney once (SCG), Giants once (Canberra). All games against teams who fancy (or ar least did before the season started) themselves finalists in 2022.

As for double ups, thats the luck of the draw. St Kilda already took a game off us, and WCE, Port and Doggies were all tipped to be finalists (and potentially top 4).

How anyone could’ve predicted that is beyond me.

West coast weren’t predicted to be finalists, though no one expected them to be quite this bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kobe Gryant

extremely overqualified chemistry teacher
Jul 31, 2021
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Lakers
lol, you don't think Geelong would be worried about facing them week 1 of finals?
This is the same smug attitude many of our supporters had in 2019 when we faced Collingwood in the QF having finished the year as minor premiers.

Complete revisionist history. I'd seriously like to know where you're getting this from.

Did we think we could win playing at our best? Absolutely, but what fanbase doesn't? Anyone worth their salt knew that Collingwood were coming of a GF appearance in front of a packed MCG with the best ruckman in the competition.

We were hobbling from June to September going win/loss every week with our ruck setup as suspect as it had ever been. Heck we dropped our only semi-competent ruckman minutes before the first bounce. You act like the Collingwood loss came out of no where, it didn't.

We had a large majority of fans write off our premiership hopes in July and August, and you seriously believe they were smug going into the finals. It's laughable.

The last year Geelong supporters went into the finals with any sort of 'arrogance' was 2013. We were the obvious challenger to a great Hawthorn side and had appeared to be the only ones with their measure up until that point.

Ever since then it's been hope for the best but expect nothing, even from the biggest supporters.

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
Incorrect. Tonight only further cements the fact Geelong are probably the furtherest ahead of the comp they've been since 2007.

That’s a really big statement. I’ll gladly just wait and see while everyone claims to be premiers in August.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nineteen eighty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TIGERS
All things being equal, there are 2 teams who have played clearly the best football...Cats and Demons. By that I mean who has played the best that I have seen. Melbourne are far from their peak but their best is very good. As is Geelong's.

Means * all come finals time though as we all know that all things need to go right to win the GF. No suspensions, no key injuries, form (inc functioning forward line for Demons), etc...

I still have this feeling that Geelong will not succeed but that's purely based on what they've dished up over the last decade in finals. Going in with a couple of men down (Gary Rohan says hi...Dangerfield waves from the back) is not conducive to winning grannies. I will say though there is definitely a different look to them this year.

It's still open for mine though. Let's see how the last month plays out leading into finals.

Last edited:

Macca180

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2021
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The Grand Final was the prelim... Cats v Pies

Should of been week after ..that's my point. They were the best two sides.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back