Player Watch #21: Callum Coleman-Jones

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I actually think the combination of he and Goldy is better then Xerri and Goldy. I think if he didn’t have the pick 19 price tag (not his fault), people would be positive about what he does well. I thought his marking today was good. Has a lot of things he needs to work on, but so did Larkey and McKay after 10 games.

One thing is for certain, Brady should be sacked if there isn’t a contract in front of Todd now.

I actually think the combination of he and Goldy is better then Xerri and Goldy. I think if he didn’t have the pick 19 price tag (not his fault), people would be positive about what he does well. I thought his marking today was good. Has a lot of things he needs to work on, but so did Larkey and McKay after 10 games.

One thing is for certain, Brady should be sacked if there isn’t a contract in front of Todd now.
The like was for the Goldy comment. He needs to impact more with ball in hand or when it is with the opposition.

Midas

Team Captain
May 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The bloke has played 17 bloody games and hardly any in the ruck at AFL level. He has some good traits and is finding his way with sporadic game time in an ordinary side. Just let his game evolve and avoid making decisions in a blokes future while he is learning his craft. Big blokes take time and he’s got some tools.

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The bloke has played 17 bloody games and hardly any in the ruck at AFL level. He has some good traits and is finding his way with sporadic game time in an ordinary side. Just let his game evolve and avoid making decisions in a blokes future while he is learning his craft. Big blokes take time and he’s got some tools.
He has ability for sure, but I don't think he has any around the ground ruck ability.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Has played 16 career games across 3 coaches. Calm down.
I don’t think people are all up in arms about him the player. What is making people pissed off is what the idiots in List Management did to bring this guy into the club.

A bloke we had a free hit at and we gave up a prime draft pick.

If the club did the right thing and took him in the PSD or negotiated a late pick no one would be overly concerned I would think?

Brady even said we did it because they wanted it to be known that we were good to deal with. Well that’s not in question when you bend over and grab ankles.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
whatever, he would have come for the money we offered.
If the player had issues with coming over for free, then we should have let him stay at Richmond.

How he gets to us if he wanted to come, should be no concern to him. Once he walked out that door Richmond didn’t give a * about him, so this club loyalty narrative is garbage.

I don’t think people are all up in arms about him the player. What is making people pissed off is what the idiots in List Management did to bring this guy into the club.

A bloke we had a free hit at and we gave up a prime draft pick.

If the club did the right thing and took him in the PSD or negotiated a late pick no one would be overly concerned I would think?

Brady even said we did it because they wanted it to be known that we were good to deal with. Well that’s not in question when you bend over and grab ankles.
Callum wouldn't agree to PSD wasn't that part of the issue?

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A smarter negotiator would walk away at that point and call his bluff.

Yeah how ridiculous. It had absolutely nothing to do with Gollum Colemens-Jone, If the Tiger had agreed to the trade it happens otherwise he stays there for his fifth year of service after delivering a steaming pile of shite in the Tiger jumper in his first four.

At days end and I don't give a s**t, the fact is we paid well over market value. I'd love to see another club offer us pick #19 for any footballer that hasn't played much in four years. We'd be laughed at.

Now I'm not saying he is a shitmen , just there was no need to pay what we did for him, and Polec, and drafting Mahony, Lazzaro with second round picks.
Ignoring 2MP after we dumped Browns.

Yeah maybe we need a further cleanout.

Oh well.

Souup

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've been thinking about CCJ and had the thought that Clarkson would turn him into a modern day David Hale.

Think that tall forward/relief ruck type role could be perfect for him.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I've been thinking about CCJ and had the thought that Clarkson would turn him into a modern day David Hale.

Think that tall forward/relief ruck type role could be perfect for him.
Full respect to your knowledge base mate, but David Hale was showing agility, skill and smarts at a level far beyond CCJ in his VFL outings.

Realise you're just meaning the role type using that comparison but I think Hale's superior talent level makes it hard to envisage CCJ fulfilling that role.

Would love to be wrong.

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Full respect to your knowledge base mate, but David Hale was showing agility, skill and smarts at a level far beyond CCJ in his VFL outings.

Realise you're just meaning the role type using that comparison but I think Hale's superior talent level makes it hard to envisage CCJ fulfilling that role.

Would love to be wrong.
David Hale could actually get his hands on the ball during a ruck contest. CJJ gets no where near it, that's why him as a ruckman is questionable.
We may as well play Greenwood as the ruckman and throw in another mid in there for the ground ball.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
David Hale could actually get his hands on the ball during a ruck contest. CJJ gets no where near it, that's why him as a ruckman is questionable.
We may as well play Greenwood as the ruckman and throw in another mid in there for the ground ball.
Maybe CCJ has a Levi Cassboult level of output in him still to come, but I'm not seeing the kind of deft touch or genuine forward nouse other 200cm+ guys like Hale and McIntosh had.

That's before we even think about bringing an absolute mutant like Goldstein into the picture with his combo of size, tank and pure skill.

Back