Coach Kenny Hinkley - should he stay or should he go (or will he be here until the end of time)?

Remove this Banner Ad

lol, he took a very s**t Port team and built them up into a competitive unit

Guess you would prefer to just be hopeless then
Melbourne were below us on the ladder when Ken took over and you've since won a flag and look well on your way to a second. The Bulldogs were also below us at the time but have two Grand Finals and a flag to their name since.

It's been ten years. The excuse of 'well how bad were they when he took over!' has long since outlived its use-by date.

Melbourne were below us on the ladder when Ken took over and you've since won a flag and look well on your way to a second. The Bulldogs were also below us at the time but have two Grand Finals and a flag to their name since.

It's been ten years. The excuse of 'well how bad were they when he took over!' has long since outlived its use-by date.
My point is more around a coach who has proven he can rebuild a poor team

My point is more around a coach who has proven he can rebuild a poor team
Fair, sorry I didn't realise your post I quoted was in response to a North supporter.

He'd probably be good for North, as long as they * him off after a few years and don't make the mistake of holding on to him when the team is ready to contend like we did.

Fair, sorry I didn't realise your post I quoted was in response to a North supporter.

He'd probably be good for North, as long as they * him off after a few years and don't make the mistake of holding on to him when the team is ready to contend like we did.
Yeah he might not be the coach to take a really good team all the way

But he has shown that he can come into a difficult environment and turn a struggling club around. The players all seem to love him too and North could do a lot worse than him

King_Tredrea

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2007
Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dubs, Bills, Chelsea FC
Weren't port in disarray when he took over as coach?
We were poised for a massive leap up the ladder, actually. Made big strides off field, Adelaide Oval on the horizon, booming with lots of young talent. I didn’t know too many at the end of ‘12/beginning of ‘13 who didn’t think we would push hard for finals

Rabish Binney

Left out overnight
Sep 7, 2021
Off the land, rural SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt; Man City
Age of the list and in particularly some of their stars might influence any decision that Kern makes (Gray will be 35 and Boak 34 next season. Jonas; Motlop; McKenzie; Dixon all over 30 (Lycett will be 30 in September)

Kern has stated emphatically that he will be there in 2023. However if Gray and Boak retire at the end of this season, would this potentially be enough to change his mind and walk?

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Age of the list and in particularly some of their stars might influence any decision that Kern makes (Gray will be 35 and Boak 34 next season. Jonas; Motlop; McKenzie; Dixon all over 30 (Lycett will be 30 in September)

Kern has stated emphatically that he will be there in 2023. However if Gray and Boak retire at the end of this season, would this potentially be enough to change his mind and walk?

Why would he walk away from a contract? Also has plenty of Coke Zero in the fridge.

Kenny is Port Power.

Again why would someone who has a contract for next year have to make a decision? If Port want him gone they have to pay him out, simple.
Isn't he on one of those rolling contracts that can be ripped up at any time though?

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
I think ultimately the players will have the final say on whether Hinkley stays or goes, that is usually why a coach gets fired mid-contract. And Hinkley seems to still have the players playing for him, so he is probably safe for at least next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks, PSV Eindhoven
I think ultimately the players will have the final say on whether Hinkley stays or goes, that is usually why a coach gets fired mid-contract. And Hinkley seems to still have the players playing for him, so he is probably safe for at least next year.
Got to say that maybe the players are too comfortable with Hinkley and it's time for a new voice. It's not that Hinkley is bad its just that after 10 years it's time for a change.

Mar 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts
I've been in two minds about Ken for a while now, after the narrow loss in 20 I thought stick with him, we'd be hungry and bounce back and we did.
Then we got pumped in the 21 Prelim and my initial reaction was thats enough.
The following week I watched Melbourne destroy the Bulldogs in 30 minutes and realised that we really wouldnt want to be on the end of that with our history in the GF.
Hands up anyone who thinks we could have beaten Melbourne.
Minor Premier and a top 4 once the dust had settled was probably where we we're at.
Moving forward to this year and it was always going to be a bad year off that defeat but despite that 0-5 start we we're still in the discussion as recently as Saturday pre game. That says something about the groups resilience but in the end it was a bridge too far with a number of games from those in 6-10th matchups going against how we needed them to lift a bit of pressure off our chances.

I think Port fans need to calm down and let the man see out his contract.
Give the group an opportunity to clean the slate and find the hunger for one more crack under him, if he still has them, its up to them to show us and no better than Rd1 2023.

t_94

Premiership Player
May 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Good but not outstanding list. Supporters seem to want to use Hinkley as the punching bag for not winning a flag when he’s probably achieved about what the talent on the list would suggest. That said after 10 years it’s probably time for a change.

Rabish Binney

Left out overnight
Sep 7, 2021
Off the land, rural SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt; Man City
Again why would someone who has a contract for next year have to make a decision? If Port want him gone they have to pay him out, simple.

Its not hard to comprehend. Kern is contacted for next year. Everyone knows that.

My point is he may believe that he has taken this group as far as he can.....and if Gray and Boak retire then there's even less of a chance that Port win a flag.

That may be in this thoughts, so it might influence any decision he makes.

Major Colvin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
There's just no getting around that ''10 year'' elephant in the room. If it's year 8 or 9 and you're still contending you've still got leverage. But year 10 and not competing in finals, the board has to represent the members and the members by now will be restless for change.

It was the similar for Daniher in 2007, which was his 10th season. Went into that season priming supporters for potential finals success and went on to lose (from memory) the first 8 games. And he was done from there. In hindsight he was probably overachieving with the list he had, but at end of the day it was his list and after 10 years and no ultimate success, most supporters want a new direction (even if it is bottoming out).

Whilst I certainly wouldnt advocate the direction Melbourne went in after Daniher, Port definitely need to move Hinkley on and really see where the list is at by giving a new Head Coach an opportunity.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Love the pairing of Kenny and the Power. Long may he reign.
You geelong fans are a sadistic lot lol.

You, Gavin Excell , JackFlash all want Hinkley to stay despite being at ports coaching staff for 10 seasons.

Yet when it came to Ross Lyon at freo, all you cats fans wanted him gone Lol.

Why?

Apr 1, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There's just no getting around that ''10 year'' elephant in the room. If it's year 8 or 9 and you're still contending you've still got leverage. But year 10 and not competing in finals, the board has to represent the members and the members by now will be restless for change.
Problem is that the Port board does not represent the members. 8 out of 10 board seats, including Chairman Koch, are appointed by the AFL and answerable to them. The interest of the AFL is keeping Port stable and not taking any risks. Hovering between 3rd and 11th for 10 years is exactly what the AFL want from Port.

Even under those conditions it is clear that Hinkley is past use-by and keeping him on next year would be damaging to crowds and membership numbers, so I think (hope) the board will act. But the real underlying problem here is that Port members don't actually get proper representation in the running of their club.

Last edited:
May 8, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The following week I watched Melbourne destroy the Bulldogs in 30 minutes and realised that we really wouldnt want to be on the end of that with our history in the GF.
Hands up anyone who thinks we could have beaten Melbourne.
Minor Premier and a top 4 once the dust had settled was probably where we we're at.
Moving forward to this year and it was always going to be a bad year off that defeat.
That's the problem with the club that Hinkley leads unfortunately.
Ross Lyon made a statement recently about an individual sportman that sums up Port Adelaide unfortunately:

"I don't think he let's himself be emotionally brave to be devestated"

I'd rather go into a Grand Final with a slim chance of winning and risk the chance of devestation that lack application of getting into the Grand Final in the first place.
Whilst I predicted that we'd have an ordinary year, Elimination Final at best it didn't need to be that way if we hired a new coach.
It should of happened after 2016 in my opinion and at the end of last year. Even if one argues that Hinkley deserved this year then he needed to get us contending for a flag again, have us back up from devastation like Geelong have done.

Port wet the bed to go 0-5 and only produce decent football when there is no pressure on them.
Over the last month we've had multiple opportunities to make a statement like Richmond did against Brisbane last weekend, the problem is we don't.

Give him 2023 and we make and win a final, does he get extended again, the bloke could be a 12-13 year coach without a Grand Final appearance, NO other club has backed in a coach like Port has done to our detrement.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back