Is the top 4 set?

Remove this Banner Ad

There are a few other factors to be fair, including two of Richmond, Saints and Doggies winning through.

I hope they do make it, as it means they will have likely knocked off Brisbane or Melbourne to do so, helping our Top 4 claims.
Na the Saints don't matter

If Doggies win through and Tigers win two (and they both have very winnable games) and Carlton lose all three, they're OUT :D

Last edited:
Sydney vs Collingwood is the game to watch for mine.

I feel Melbourne will account for the Pies fairly comfortably on current form, but think Pies vs Swans is genuinely 50/50, with the winner locking in top 4
I think Sydney look great and anticipate them getting over the pies. But might well be a good watch. Sydney are very entertaining this season

Sydney vs Collingwood is the game to watch for mine.

I feel Melbourne will account for the Pies fairly comfortably on current form, but think Pies vs Swans is genuinely 50/50, with the winner locking in top 4
Collingwood currently paying $3.90 to win that game—seems insane odds to me. But then again I don’t gamble for a reason :drunk:

If we even make the finals that is

The great irony of this is if we **** up this year it's the only year in the last 10 we've actually 'choked'. This is the year where the term would actually make sense.

The whole definition of choking in sport is losing when you shouldn't. We haven't been the best side in the comp since 2011, and have been beaten by sides cleary better than us (and everyone else for that matter) when it matters most. Dissapointing? sure. Choking? nah.

This is the first year since 2011 that any objective Geelong supporter thinks we might be the best team in it. If we were to lose in a prelim or straight sets then that would be by definition a choke.

Collingwood's recent finals record:
2020 Elimination Final (Finished 8th and played 5th placed West Coast) - Won by 1 point in Perth
2020 Semi Final - Belted by eventual Runners-Up Geelong
2019 Qualifying Final (Finished 4th and played top placed Geelong) - Won by 10 points
2019 Preliminary Final - Lost by 4 points in a slogfest against GWS
2018 Qualifying Final - (Finished 3rd and played 2nd placed West Coast) - lost by 16 points in a belter in Perth
2018 Semi-Final - Beat GWS by 10 points
2018 Preliminary Final - Flogged the Richmond juggernaut by 39 points easing down
2018 Grand Final - Lost by 5 points against West Coast

Pies don't perform too bad in Finals, giving a great account of ourselves in 7 of the last 8 finals we have played.

Yep in 13 finals series we have played this century, only twice have we not won a final: 2006 against the Dogs and 2013 against Port.

And the last time Collingwood went out in straight sets was back in 1988!

The great irony of this is if we **** up this year it's the only year in the last 10 we've actually 'choked'. This is the year where the term would actually make sense.

The whole definition of choking in sport is losing when you shouldn't. We haven't been the best side in the comp since 2011, and have been beaten by sides cleary better than us (and everyone else for that matter) when it matters most. Dissapointing? sure. Choking? nah.

This is the first year since 2011 that any objective Geelong supporter thinks we might be the best team in it. If we were to lose in a prelim or straight sets then that would be by definition a choke.
Similar thing for the Pies. We get called GF chokers, yet we really shouldn’t have even been in the GFs we lost in recent memory.

2018 - WCE and Richmond were the two best teams in it.

2011 - Cats were the best team that season.

2002/2003 - One of, if not the greatest sides of the modern era in the Lions.

Guaranteed, if by some miracle we make it this year and lose, we’ll get called chokers again.

Pies haven’t really choked in a finals series/GF in my lifetime of over 30 years.

Similar thing for the Pies. We get called GF chokers, yet we really shouldn’t have even been in the GFs we lost in recent memory.

2018 - WCE and Richmond were the two best teams in it.

2011 - Cats were the best team that season.

2002/2003 - One of, if not the greatest sides of the modern era in the Lions.

Guaranteed, if by some miracle we make it this year and lose, we’ll get called chokers again.

Pies haven’t really choked in a finals series/GF in my lifetime of over 30 years.

Absolutely. It's weird how you get branded with names for being good, but not quite good enough. Usually by supporters of sides who don't even make the finals, let alone Grand Finals.

There's only really been a few genuine 'chokes' in recent memory if we're being objective.

Richmond '18
Hawks '12
Cats '08

That's cos it was all pretty mundane stuff and not exactly persuasive points

That’s exactly right and how Pies supporters feel when we get the whole, “your form is atrocious!”, “you’ve beaten nobody!” It’s petty, mundane stuff.

Adelaide is a very average team this year. The week before AND the week after Collingwood played them, Adelaide lost by over 5 goals (and one of those was against another very average team in Hawthorn).

They are average, but they aren’t easy beats at home. Have been competitive more often than not at AO. Go check their season since you looked at just either side of the Pies game they played at Marvel and SCG.

You think it makes Collingwood's 5 point win a fortnight ago, a little more impressive just cos Adelaide defeated a beat up Carlton on the weekend? Hardly!

As mentioned above, beaten the Blues there after us. Were in it and only down by 5 points early in the last v Dees and had won the game there prior too.

How many teams have North seriously challenged this year? 3 or 4. And one of them was West Coast missing half their best 22. Every other game North has gotten smashed. But Collingwood had to come from behind and win a thriller? Is this supposed to be impressive?

No, it’s not. What’s impressive is we didn’t rock up and played like poo but still came away with the 4 points. Nothing to write home about. It’s opposition supporters who keep bringing up the Kangas game, not Pies supporters.

Collingwood beat GWS by 11 6 weeks ago. GWS who has barely been competitive since then. Lost their last 4 games by 36 or more.

Did you miss the part where we kicked 11.22 that game? 33 shots to 17. Hit the post 3 times. That’s irrelevant?

You seriously expect anyone to be impressed by Collingwood scraping over the line against bad teams?

When we do it 10 times in a row, it’s pretty impressive, yes. Are 10 wins in a row easy feats?

Take your black and white glasses off!

What have I said that is wrong exactly? Quote me with what I’m being biased about.

What logic of mine is that?

You mentioned the bottom 6-8 team’s win/loss for the season and neglected their recent form (ie. Essendon beating Sydney and Brisbane prior to the Collingwood game - Port losing by just 14 points or less v Dees and Cats before we beat them)

Do you question the Sydney or Brisbane credentials for losing to a bottom 6 side?

Go look up the results when teams with a percentage of 110% or less play in finals against teams with a percentage of over 125, eg like Melbourne, Geelong and Sydney.

Report back to this thread with the results.

2 premiers out of 5 teams in the last 20 years. Pretty good odds for my liking.

And then tell me again that I should rate Collingwood's finals chances.

Where have I, or any other Collingwood supporter, said we’re going deep in September and winning the flag? The issue is people like you are writing us off and don’t rate us with absolutely stupid excuses.

Maybe but the manner of Geelong's losses has not been good, eg 2016, 2017 and 2021 prelims were over before quarter time, as was the 2018 Elim, and you blew good leads against Richmond in 2019 and 2020. Also a few disappointing QFs in there. It's a poor record and hasn't reflected H and A form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely. It's weird how you get branded with names for being good, but not quite good enough. Usually by supporters of sides who don't even make the finals, let alone Grand Finals.

There's only really been a few genuine 'chokes' in recent memory if we're being objective.

Richmond '18
Hawks '12
Cats '08
Wasn't a grand final, but Collingwood choked against GWS in 2019.
All-time choke that one.

All-time choke that one.
How so? The same Giants who absolutely belted the Doggies and beat the Lions at the GABBA in the same finals series?

Pies were down by 33 points early in the last and almost snatched it.

How so? The same Giants who absolutely belted the Doggies and beat the Lions at the GABBA in the same finals series?

Pies were clear favourites, having had the week off, playing at the MCG and finishing two games clear of GWS during the home and away rounds.

Maybe not a 'choke' in the strict sense but definitely a game they should have won.

Pies were clear favourites, having had the week off, playing at the MCG and finishing two games clear of GWS during the home and away rounds.

Maybe not a 'choke' in the strict sense but definitely a game they should have won.
Giants were incredible that night and Z Williams played one of the all time great games, a 10/10

And still we nearly pinched it

Not every loss as a favourite is a choke

All-time choke that one.
The pre finals bye has changed everything now, teams are more regularly making prelims and grand finals from outside the top 4. Collingwood getting rolled by GWS wasn't too big an upset imo.

LOL.

Collingwood had a weeks rest, whereas the Giants were playing their second match in a row away from home.
They weren't the same Giants either, and you know this- Greene was suspended, Whitfield missed injured.
GWS had literally never won a game with Coniglio, Whitfield and Greene out of the side in their entire history, and they were playing away from home, against a side with a weeks rest, backing up from travel, already had injuries (Coniglio, Ward) and had their captain Phil Davis injured in the first quarter.

And all Collingwood managed was 3 goals in 3 and a bit quarters.

That was a massive, massive choke and Buckley admitted it in his press conference.

Slaughtered them. If only you'd shown up before the last quarter.

That’s exactly right and how Pies supporters feel when we get the whole, “your form is atrocious!”, “you’ve beaten nobody!” It’s petty, mundane stuff.

They are average, but they aren’t easy beats at home. Have been competitive more often than not at AO. Go check their season since you looked at just either side of the Pies game they played at Marvel and SCG.

As mentioned above, beaten the Blues there after us. Were in it and only down by 5 points early in the last v Dees and had won the game there prior too.

No, it’s not. What’s impressive is we didn’t rock up and played like poo but still came away with the 4 points. Nothing to write home about. It’s opposition supporters who keep bringing up the Kangas game, not Pies supporters.

Did you miss the part where we kicked 11.22 that game? 33 shots to 17. Hit the post 3 times. That’s irrelevant?

When we do it 10 times in a row, it’s pretty impressive, yes. Are 10 wins in a row easy feats?

What have I said that is wrong exactly? Quote me with what I’m being biased about.

You mentioned the bottom 6-8 team’s win/loss for the season and neglected their recent form (ie. Essendon beating Sydney and Brisbane prior to the Collingwood game - Port losing by just 14 points or less v Dees and Cats before we beat them)

Do you question the Sydney or Brisbane credentials for losing to a bottom 6 side?

2 premiers out of 5 teams in the last 20 years. Pretty good odds for my liking.

Where have I, or any other Collingwood supporter, said we’re going deep in September and winning the flag? The issue is people like you are writing us off and don’t rate us with absolutely stupid excuses.
You're obviously super passionate about your team.

Let's get to the point. A 10 game winning streak is impressive, yeah.

All I'm saying is, Collingwood haven't done enough to convince me they'll beat Melbourne or Geelong in a final. Or Sydney or Brisbane. Or The Dogs or Richmond- teams who've played good September footy before. Or even Carlton.

I think Collingwood wins 1 more H&A game at most, then goes straight out in an elimination final. Maybe they win another close one then get beaten in a semi.

Their absolute best case might be creeping into top 4, losing the QF, then winning a SF on home turf against an inexperienced finals opponent (like Freo), before losing a prelim. That's probably absolute best case.

But my tip would be Collingwood fails to win a single finals game.

Maybe I'll be wrong. Time will tell.

Think of it this way. Not many people rate your team, as proven by the $13 premiership odds despite 3rd position on the ladder and 10 wins on the trot. Most people would agree with me they're unlikely to make a prelim. So if they do end up going deep into September, it'll be even sweeter for you!

LOL.

Collingwood had a weeks rest, whereas the Giants were playing their second match in a row away from home.
They weren't the same Giants either, and you know this- Greene was suspended, Whitfield missed injured.
GWS had literally never won a game with Coniglio, Whitfield and Greene out of the side in their entire history, and they were playing away from home, against a side with a weeks rest, backing up from travel, already had injuries (Coniglio, Ward) and had their captain Phil Davis injured in the first quarter.

And all Collingwood managed was 3 goals in 3 and a bit quarters.

That was a massive, massive choke and Buckley admitted it in his press conference.

Slaughtered them. If only you'd shown up before the last quarter.
Tigers would have killed us in the GF, and they'd still be talking about it and lolling, I see it as a bullet dodged. No regrets about that Giants game!

Certainly a much better effort than the Demons put up in the 2018 PF which was over in about 6 minutes, well done there and thanks for playing the Eagles into form.

Certainly a much better effort than the Demons put up in the 2018 PF
No it wasn't.

We were playing our first finals series since Jesus played fullback for Jeruselum, and lost to the eventual premier on their home-ground, after already winning two finals in Melbourne. And as bad as we were we still kicked more goals in three quarters than you managed against a decimated GWS on your home ground with a week's rest.

You had a massive, massive choke. It's ok, you can admit it. Buckley did straight after the game, I don't know why you're struggling with it.

You're obviously super passionate about your team.

Let's get to the point. A 10 game winning streak is impressive, yeah.

All I'm saying is, Collingwood haven't done enough to convince me they'll beat Melbourne or Geelong in a final. Or Sydney or Brisbane. Or The Dogs or Richmond- teams who've played good September footy before. Or even Carlton.

I think Collingwood wins 1 more H&A game at most, then goes straight out in an elimination final. Maybe they win another close one then get beaten in a semi.

Their absolute best case might be creeping into top 4, losing the QF, then winning a SF on home turf against an inexperienced finals opponent (like Freo), before losing a prelim. That's probably absolute best case.

But my tip would be Collingwood fails to win a single finals game.

Maybe I'll be wrong. Time will tell.

Think of it this way. Not many people rate your team, as proven by the $13 premiership odds despite 3rd position on the ladder and 10 wins on the trot. Most people would agree with me they're unlikely to make a prelim. So if they do end up going deep into September, it'll be even sweeter for you!
Don’t disagree with a lot of what you said there. It’s a much different tone to what you were saying earlier though.

No it wasn't.

We were playing our first finals series since Jesus played fullback for Jeruselum, and lost to the eventual premier on their home-ground, after already winning two finals in Melbourne. And as bad as we were we still kicked more goals in three quarters than you managed against a decimated GWS on your home ground with a week's rest.

You had a massive, massive choke. It's ok, you can admit it. Buckley did straight after the game, I don't know why you're struggling with it.
You realise it was wet weather footy, yeah? GWS had kicked 2 goals to HT and had an unbelievable 3rd quarter.

Kobe Gryant this is a prime example of what you were talking about 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back