The Bulldogs and Umpires: Time for a Royal Commission?

Remove this Banner Ad

If you believe every free kick paid is an advantage to the team receiving it you certainly are not correct.

Some teams deliberately concede free kicks to slow the play and as such are advantaged by conceding a free.
Next he'll try to tell you getting a free on the boundary at half back is no less of an advantage than getting a free at full forward

Next he'll try to tell you getting a free on the boundary at half back is no less of an advantage than getting a free at full forward
Perhaps a little complex for someone who claims winning the free kick count is an advantage yet can't comprehend there being no significant correlation between that and scoring more than your opponent.

Perhaps a little complex for someone who claims winning the free kick count is an advantage yet can't comprehend there being no significant correlation between that and scoring more than your opponent.

So you believe the only advantage is the final score?

So any team that doesn't win, hasn't had any type of advantage during the game?

Do you now see how stupid your primary school chart is in the context of this thread?

Simply embarrassing.

So you believe the only advantage is the final score?

So any team that doesn't win, hasn't had any type of advantage during the game?

Do you now see how stupid your primary school chart is in the context of this thread?

Simply embarrassing.
You evidently don't understand the concept of correlation.

The point is not that winning a free kick count means you always score more than your opponent. It means that it does or does not have an effect on score differential, and the data shows that there is very little to no correlation.

If winning the free kick count doesn't have any significant affect on score vs opponent's score (again, the data proves it doesn't), how can you call it an advantage?

It's pretty simple, for most. Speaking of primary school level, I would point towards your level of comprehension about this topic.

Sorry?

Why would I say that?

How has anything I've said on this thread lead you to believe that I'd say that?
Getting a Free Kick is exactly the same as winning a contest.

Name a coach, or anyone with even half a clue, that doesn't think they'll fare better on the scoreboard if they're winning more contests than their opponent?
Whether it is a good decision, bad decision, fair decision or whatever doesn't matter. You get the ball. And if you don't give Frees away, the opposition is not getting the ball. If you get a default differential every week of 4-5 Free Kicks, you're getting a significant advantage before the ball is even bounced.

Anyone who thinks that winning a significant amount of contests more than your opposition is inconsequential and no big deal, is a fool.
Based on what you've said, a team getting 10 free kicks at half back is more advantaged than a team getting 6 free kicks at full forward.

Just to re-iterate (because I think you need it), you said:
"Getting a Free Kick is exactly the same as winning a contest."
and
"Anyone who thinks that winning a significant amount of contests more than your opposition is inconsequential and no big deal, is a fool."

So yes, that very much leads me believe you think getting a free kick at half back is no less of an advantage than getting a free at full forward. If you now decide that's not what you're saying then you need to re-evaluate your position on this.

Based on what you've said, a team getting 10 free kicks at half back is more advantaged than a team getting 6 free kicks at full forward.

Just to re-iterate (because I think you need it), you said:
"Getting a Free Kick is exactly the same as winning a contest."
and
"Anyone who thinks that winning a significant amount of contests more than your opposition is inconsequential and no big deal, is a fool."

So yes, that very much leads me believe you think getting a free kick at half back is no less of an advantage than getting a free at full forward. If you now decide that's not what you're saying then you need to re-evaluate your position on this.
It's says that winning a Free Kick is the same as winning a contest.

It does not state that all contests are the same. It doesn't even come close to saying that.

Some teams get looked after more so than others. This happens in cycles, periods or even era, depending on afl administrators, their agenda's and/or club allegiances. It is a fact. I am not naming teams. The Afl is rorted to a degree and us fans are all sucked in and defend our clubs tooth and nail.

Some teams get looked after more so than others. This happens in cycles, periods or even era, depending on afl administrators, their agenda's and/or club allegiances. It is a fact. I am not naming teams. The Afl is rorted to a degree and us fans are all sucked in and defend our clubs tooth and nail.
This is true. I would also suggest that the instructions AFL umpires are given would also play a part in this. For example, umpires are instructed to place preference on player safety therefore players that are better at exaggerating flaws in tacklers techniques or exaggerating contact will naturally receive more free kicks. Another example is players like Dusty Martin that are stronger and fight the tackle more and thus increase the risk that the tacklers technique will slip. The reason that this goes in cycles is that certain players, coaches and officials within clubs are better at and more willing to exploit and push boundaries when it comes to rules. One of the reasons why I don't believe Port will win a flag under Hinkley is his unwillingness to do this as well as his unwillingness to address this with his players.

This is true. I would also suggest that the instructions AFL umpires are given would also play a part in this. For example, umpires are instructed to place preference on player safety therefore players that are better at exaggerating flaws in tacklers techniques or exaggerating contact will naturally receive more free kicks. Another example is players like Dusty Martin that are stronger and fight the tackle more and thus increase the risk that the tacklers technique will slip. The reason that this goes in cycles is that certain players, coaches and officials within clubs are better at and more willing to exploit and push boundaries when it comes to rules. One of the reasons why I don't believe Port will win a flag under Hinkley is his unwillingness to do this as well as his unwillingness to address this with his players.
Is the solution to ban the tackle ?

Is the solution to ban the tackle ?

That would be one way although I wouldn't want to see it go that way. My suggestion would be to lessen the emphasis on player protection slightly. For example, contact that just brushes a player high I would let go whilst focusing more on extended and more severe contact. Another way would be to lessen the time players have to get rid of the ball after they are tackled before a ball up or a free kick is paid. That option is riddled with potential pitfalls though.

I truly believe that the only way to completely rule it out is at player level which won't happen anytime soon. The other solution is for opposition teams to target the player or players they believe exploit this rule and not try to tackle them fairly. This wouldn't and shouldn't be condoned and would also lead to a lot more issues.

Spot on! When Is it our turn!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazing effort by the dockers last night. How Bulldogs fans can claim there to be no bias towards them with a straight face is astounding
It’s worse than that if you look at dogs game day thread there’s fans that felt the umps were robbing them.
It’s like the KKK whinging about people being racist toward them because their white!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back