Collingwood and Richmond, who has the more feral supporter base?

White Dogg

Senior List
Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
I've seen discussions on here regarding who has more supporters out of Collingwood and Richmond but in my opinion, a topic worth a thread of its own discussion is the question regarding who has the most feral supporter base out of the two clubs?

Collingwood and Richmond are two of the biggest clubs. Fact.
Collingwood and Richmond have two of the most feral supporter bases. Fact.

Which club do you think has the more feral supporter base?

Dec 9, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Exhibit A
images (2).jpeg

PJays

Club Legend
Suspended
Nov 2, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Growing up, I always went along with the stereotype about Collingwood fans being the worst.

The joke went that parole officers and police were paid triple overtime rates for working on on Grand Final Day 2010. It was part of their collective bargaining agreement- if Collingwood ever made a Grand Final they’d have one of the busiest days of their lives.

But in 2011 I went to the MCG, early in the season and watched the Saints draw with Richmond. A huge Richmond supporter group sat behind me.

Much of the language emanating from that group was not fit for young ears. But what was far worse was what happened when Lenny Hayes did his ACL and was stretchered off the ground.

“DIG A HOLE!

DIG A HOLE!

DIG A HOLE!”

That night was the closest I’ve ever been to punching on with fellow footy fans. The result was a draw but if the Saints had lost, there may well have been punches thrown.

Lenny Hayes was a hero. An AFL icon, universally respected for the way he played the game. So I thought.

But regardless of who it was, the mocking of a player on a stretcher was absolutely contemptible.

Lenny had the last laugh, returning in 2012 and having an epic season as a 32 year old, eventually playing until the end of 2014.

But ever since that night, Richmond fans have taken the mantle as most feral in my view.

Last edited:
Essendon. The most self rigteous, arrogant bunch of campaigners you'll ever see at a game. No wonder no one respects them or likes them.

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
Growing up, I always went along with the stereotype about Collingwood fans being the worst.

The joke went that parole officers and police were paid triple overtime rates for working on on Grand Final Day 2010. It was part of their collective bargaining agreement- if Collingwood ever made a Grand Final they’d have one of the busiest days of their lives.

But in 2011 I went to the MCG, early in the season and watched the Saints draw with Richmond. A huge Richmond supporter group sat behind me.

Much of the language emanating from that group was not fit for young ears. But what was far worse was what happened when Lenny Hayes did his ACL and was stretchered off the ground.

“DIG A HOLE!

DIG A HOLE!

DIG A HOLE!”

That night was the closest I’ve ever been to punching on with fellow footy fans. The result was a draw but if the Saints had lost, there may well have been punches thrown.

Lenny Hayes was a hero. An AFL icon, universally respected for the way he played the game. So I thought.

But regardless of who it was, the mocking of a player who’d done his ACL was absolutely contemptible.

Lenny had the last laugh, returning in 2012 and having an epic season as a 32 year old, eventually playing until the end of 2014.

But ever since that night, Richmond fans have taken the mantle as most feral in my view.
So cause a group of idiots cheered Lenny Hayes doing his ACL, Richmond take the place of Collingwood?

A supporter base who jeered indigenous players weekly for decades at Vic Park and did it with pride?

I mean the most iconic moment of Nicky Winmar's career was raising his jumper, showing his skin and proudly embracing his heritage. The classiest sign of bravery I've seen in AFL - the supporter base was THAT feral Collingwood supporter base at Vic Park who did the same s**t to other indigenous players.

Let's not forget Lumumba, Davis and Kraks all distancing themselves from the club - Eddie calling Adam Goodes an ape.

But yes, it was THAT group of handful of Richmond supporters that takes the cake over a club has had to have a clean out done from the supporters to the president due to their historic racial abuse of indigenous Australians.

I mean the question from the OP is ridiculous, it's Collingwood and then daylight and it's nothing to be proud of and it's not endearing in the slightest.

Back