Player Watch Shai Bolton - The Next Best Player In The Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Everytime I watch Shai I imagine what Cyril would have been like if his hamstrings held up and could play as a permanent rover. Showed glimpses of it but body couldn't handle the rigours of a midfield role.

Was too young to see Maurice so I'd imagine Shai would be a close comparison. Currently the most watchable player for me along with Rankine.

I guess I'll just settle with the fact that he was the most fun player that I've ever seen.

Way too premature to have his name in this type of discussion.
Seems to be a downhill skier.
A true champion would have got the tigers over the line the previous weeks, they change the course of games

If Bolton continues on his current trajectory of awesome, he may even surpass the great man; and then we will have to change DeGoeys nickname to Kmart Shai.

Could he win the brownlow this year?

I have 5 clear BOG and some other good games , he could have 20 votes sown up allready
10-15 votes max IMO.

He's a low possession, high impact player. If anything the umpires probably favour the opposite, e.g. guys who get a lot more ball more consistently, but don't have the same impact per possession.

He'll definetely poll a good portion of votes, but the top 3-5 players will likely all be predominant centre square midfielders. Bolton is basically a forward who moves into the mid on occasion for impact.

10-15 votes max IMO.

He's a low possession, high impact player. If anything the umpires probably favour the opposite, e.g. guys who get a lot more ball more consistently, but don't have the same impact per possession.

He'll definetely poll a good portion of votes, but the top 3-5 players will likely all be predominant centre square midfielders. Bolton is basically a forward who moves into the mid on occasion for impact.
This is not true

he is rated in the top 18 in the league for centre clearances , only .4 centre clearances below Oliver

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is not true

he is rated in the top 18 in the league for centre clearances , only .4 centre clearances below Oliver
He could be rated first, he's still predominantly a forward though. If you look at his disposal count, he's getting it 18.5 times a game, to my previous point, he's a lowish possession but maximum impact player. It's not really a Brownlow profile which favours those midfielders who spend the whole game on the ball and accumulate a lot more footy.

Balta, Tarrant, and 2022 North second rounder for a cooked Deledio.

Bolton for a little bit of Tyronery.

Our current co-captain Toby “makes opponents nervous” Nankervis for pick 46.

Nice business around that 2016-2017 era. Fanks mugz. 🤣

AFL soon put a stop to it when we were awarded pick 297 for Brandon Ellis on a 5 year $600k deal at Suns. And no pick at all when Conca went to Freo on a decent deal. campaigners. 😩😩😩

We are up to our old tricks again though. Gifted Biggy Nyuon for Dan Butler. And Tom Brown for Jack “Goalside” Higgins will look like next level banditry in years to come.

Other clubs now scared to pick up the phone when we call looking to do a deal. 😎

Meanwhile we trolled everyone by momentarily delisting Noah Gunberland last off season, before re-listing him when Dodoro and 16 other clubs contacted his agent within the first 12 seconds of the fake news being released. 🤣🤣
I think you might be the worst poster, not just on this board, but of all boards, forums, comment sections and town square noticeboards for all of recorded human history.

It makes me wonder how much of shai's cureent/future form/potential is because of how the club have decided to develop him?

Some people have already touched on it a little with cyril in this thread, are there any other small forwards with similar talent that people think if they were given more time/training in the middle they could have a similar impact for their teams?

It's interesting that the club have stuck with it considering until literally last round how much trouble we've had recently getting consistently good/reasonable smalls in our forward line.

It makes me wonder how much of shai's cureent/future form/potential is because of how the club have decided to develop him?

Some people have already touched on it a little with cyril in this thread, are there any other small forwards with similar talent that people think if they were given more time/training in the middle they could have a similar impact for their teams?

It's interesting that the club have stuck with it considering until literally last round how much trouble we've had recently getting consistently good/reasonable smalls in our forward line.

Walters was excellent when he went into the midfield those few seasons. Wingard has played his best footy for us a mid/fwd. Like Cyril though I don't think Wingard has the durability to play a full time midfield role, especially with his calves being shot.

Current players I think Gresham is probably the one who has made that transition from a 70% FWD to 30% mid to reversing it the other way (70% Mid/30% FWD). Dylan Moore has made this transition later in the year, playing as a centre square mid the last month and excelling.

I still remember Cyril's game against the Crows in the prelim in 2012 as a pure midfielder. Was BOG by a mile and it wasn't even close in a game which featured the likes of Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis, Buddy, Roughead, Dangerfield. I think we will be seeing more players moving up from a small forward position to a midfield role as a result of the Shai Bolton success.

I'd like to think Rankine has the talent to just about play any position apart from ruck/kpp. Think if he had the tank he could move up to the middle and impact in bursts. Rachele is another who I think will eventually move up to a midfield/fwd role.

I think it helped that he was made to earn his spot during our dynasty.

2017. 6 games
2018. 3 games
2019. is when he became a regular he wasn't a star.. but showed he could play against men.
2020. in my opinion was his breakout season came 4th in the B&F & was a huge part of Richmond turning around the season in the Hub during covid.
2021. last year, I think was where most people outside of Richmond supporters started to take notice of him.
2022. carried on from last & gone to the next level with still seemingly more improvement in him.

So glad he plays for us hopefully re-signs in the off-season, I think he is a shoe to stay at Richmond he loves it here.

Bolton for a little bit of Tyronery.

When blokes ask why I have the Ty as my avi, I will refer to this post.

Not only was he handy when the need to beat up WCE flogs arose, he was also rolled-gold come trade time.

If it was up to me I'd nominate the mophead for a Nobel Peace Prize for he hath conferred the greatest benefit on mankind.

Definitely one of a handful of players that are up there for most fun to watch. Still seems like he misses a lot of gettable shots on goal. No idea on stats but i feel he had a better year last year. Might be a touch more dangerous around goal this year without Dusty around, so he's had to step up in that area. He'd be in the Top 20 players. Not sure I could put him in the Top 10. Unique talent though

I think it helped that he was made to earn his spot during our dynasty.

2017. 6 games
2018. 3 games
2019. is when he became a regular he wasn't a star.. but showed he could play against men.
2020. in my opinion was his breakout season came 4th in the B&F & was a huge part of Richmond turning around the season in the Hub during covid.
2021. last year, I think was where most people outside of Richmond supporters started to take notice of him.
2022. carried on from last & gone to the next level with still seemingly more improvement in him.

So glad he plays for us hopefully re-signs in the off-season, I think he is a shoe to stay at Richmond he loves it here.
Do you know why he wasn't getting games early in his career ? Was it just fitness etc...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back