Who is your 2022 AFL grand final pick

Bloody

Club Legend
Sep 11, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
How did I do it?? Ok this is what I did... I watched most games this past month and I believe Geelong are the best team by a mile... In fact I think they should win it all.
I also believe Melbourne will come good, starting this week by flogging Collingwood.
That makes me think they will finish top two.... and I can´t see anyone beating either of these two sides and the mcg.
Sydney have an easy draw and if they somehow get two home finals they could make the Grand Final.

Thats how I did it son. By watching and observing current form and thinking about who has the best forwards, mids and backline.

I feel like you don´t like my predictions. Would it make me cooler if I said Brisbane v Pies or Saints v Freo?
But the OP asked a question and I answered with what i think.

What do you think?
Funnily enough id feel more confident playing Cats or Dees at MCG than the SCG, and if had to pick id rather play Cats over the Dees in week 1.

But yes Cats v Dees seems most likely

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Melbourne look like they're hitting top gear again, they'll make it. If that midfield gets going in September it can't be matched and can more than make up for the subpar forward line as we saw last year.

Cats or Swans after that. Pies a chance if they get a QF on the MCG which is likely.
Melbourne's best is still, IMO, slightly better than our best. They just have midfield weapons that we don't have - Petracca, Gawn and Oliver are a pretty unique combination and as much as I love Guthrie, Dangerfield and Atkins, they aren't anywhere near that plane.

If our mids manage to break even, then it's Geelong's flag to lose.

Major Colvin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
Personally I hope it is Melbourne v Geelong, because it think it would be a great and potentially high scoring contest.

Having said that I think Sydney are setting up nicely for finals and play a hard contested brand thats capable of troubling both the Cats and the Dees.

I'll go with a Geelong v Sydney GF

Funny how a few weeks can change your outlook.

Looking more like Geelong/Melbourne with Collingwood as the smokey

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Not really sure about the Sydney hype, atm it’s a cats v pies GF for me with the pies winning it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Not really sure about the Pies hype at the moment, scraping by week after week against largely mediocre opposition. Have to go back more than a month for a win against decent opposition, albeit catching Melbourne in its three-game losing streak. Thrilling to watch for fans, certainly exceeding expectations, but I'd be expecting them to get caught out at the pointy end.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Not really sure about the Sydney hype, atm it’s a cats v pies GF for me with the pies winning it.

What Sydney hype are you referring too ? Because a few in the media have said they were capable of winning the flag ? Haven’t seen or heard one of them say they will win it. It’s all about form. I am still not overly convinced Geelong are winning it but currently with their form you can’t go past them. It’s easier just to say you don’t rate them than the old hyped theory.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not really sure about the Pies hype at the moment, scraping by week after week against largely mediocre opposition. Have to go back more than a month for a win against decent opposition, albeit catching Melbourne in its three-game losing streak. Thrilling to watch for fans, certainly exceeding expectations, but I'd be expecting them to get caught out at the pointy end.
You must be tipping the Cats comfortably for the flag then.

Dees haven’t beaten anyone decent in 5 weeks. Lost to a team outside the 8 in that time and scraped over the line against Port.

Swans haven’t beaten anyone decent in 5 weeks. Also lost to a team outside the 8 in that time.

Lions haven’t beaten anyone decent in 5 weeks. They’ve also lost 2 games to sides outside the top 8 in that time.

I know you’re not going to mention Freo. They’ve won 2 games in the last 7 weeks, one of which was against Port, where they scraped over the line.

Not really asking you to tip the Pies to go far, but your logic is flawed and doesn’t make sense without you also not rating anyone else outside Geelong.

Funnily enough id feel more confident playing Cats or Dees at MCG than the SCG, and if had to pick id rather play Cats over the Dees in week 1.

But yes Cats v Dees seems most likely

On form its most likely a geelong vs melb gf as they both have a gear the other finals teams dont have but also this is a very even year where we have seen momentum swings hard to arrest, if a team has a 20 min blitz against geelong or melb it could be enough to change who plays in the GF.

Melbourne's best is still, IMO, slightly better than our best. They just have midfield weapons that we don't have - Petracca, Gawn and Oliver are a pretty unique combination and as much as I love Guthrie, Dangerfield and Atkins, they aren't anywhere near that plane.

If our mids manage to break even, then it's Geelong's flag to lose.

Melbournes midfield is better than ours for sure (although when we last played them our midfield group outworked theirs) but our forward line is much better than their forward line and realistically better than any of the finals sides on that line. IF we break even in midfield and inside 50 entries in all our finals we should win the flag imo but thats a big IF i am still worried about our midfield.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast

Dees haven’t beaten anyone decent in 5 weeks. Lost to a team outside the 8 in that time and scraped over the line against Port.

Swans haven’t beaten anyone decent in 5 weeks. Also lost to a team outside the 8 in that time.

Lions haven’t beaten anyone decent in 5 weeks. They’ve also lost 2 games to sides outside the top 8 in that time.

I know you’re not going to mention Freo. They’ve won 2 games in the last 7 weeks, one of which was against Port, where they scraped over the line.

Not really asking you to tip the Pies to go far, but your logic is flawed and doesn’t make sense without you also not rating anyone else outside Geelong.
Melbourne, Geelong and Brisbane have credits in the bank that Collingwood (and Carlton and Fremantle) don’t. The most likely grand final would be Melbourne and Geelong. If you think a team on the rise is a chance to make the grand final, then it becomes a little less predictable. I have Freo and Sydney ahead of Collingwood based on gut feel, others will see it differently.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
What Sydney hype are you referring too ? Because a few in the media have said they were capable of winning the flag ? Haven’t seen or heard one of them say they will win it. It’s all about form. I am still not overly convinced Geelong are winning it but currently with their form you can’t go past them. It’s easier just to say you don’t rate them than the old hyped theory.

People keep saying it but I just don’t see it happening.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond

You guys are playing Richmond style footy, you’ll be in good shape in finals. Pressure and speed always wins which suits your gamestyle.
I’d like for you guys to win it. But gee the Daicos heads would get pretty big.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
You guys are playing Richmond style footy, you’ll be in good shape in finals. Pressure and speed always wins which suits your gamestyle.
I’d like for you guys to win it. But gee the Daicos heads would get pretty big.

Been seeing, reading and hearing a lot of this in recent days. Even Jack said it on 360 that Pies are playing similar to the Tigers in their flag year.

I see it, but I don’t believe it because it means we’re actually a chance to win a flag. I just can’t fathom that tbh.

Back