Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon they should go with a predominantly teal colour guernsey as their clash strip, would be much better than that horrible grey.

Plus their ‘clash strip’ is completely ineffective.

Someone should tell Port to stop creating clashes before they demand to wear the black and white stripes.

Except it was a final so tickets would have been split and you’d have been lucky to get 10,000 of your members into the game…
If that's what we want, why do you get to say otherwise?

Cats fans fully understand that half the tickets go to each club. Yet they still ask for it.

When our home games get moved to Melbourne:
1. They tend to be scheduled on Friday Nights, which make it difficult for Geelong based members to attend
2. At any fixtured time, they're difficult to attend for our members who live in the western districts
3. The % of support at the MCG for Geelong is never more than 30% of the total crowd (which you can see by our crowds against interstate teams at the G in finals, but also see when you go to the game itself, for example our QFs against Richmond and Collingwood in 2017 and 2019)

Every cats fan I know would 100% rather we play at home in KP in front of a 50/50 crowd, but with all the advantages of playing at home instead of playing at the G, in front of a hostile crowd that is 70/30 against us at a ground that earns an unearned advantage for our opposition.

And from next year, it will be 20k seats for each club (40k total), which is no different to any other interstate final. Even the MCG, once you factor in MCC Reserve (23k) and AFL Reserve (22k), only has room for 55k club members, which is only 15k more than KP will hold next year.

You mean, we want to play in front of our own members for our home game?
Your members are capable of travelling to the MCG. Playing a final at a small regional stadium and locking out 60k fans (fans of both clubs plus neutrals) is ridiculous and thankfully won't happen.

I’ve got 5 questions for you which I hope you can answer for me.

1 - Do you like your current AFL jumper? (I personally think it’s just about the best)

2 - Do you resent the fact you have teal?

3 - Do you like the nickname the Power?

4 - Do you wish your AFL club colours were just plain black and white and without teal.

5 - Lastly, would you prefer to be known as the Port Adelaide Magpies in the AFL or are you happy as the Port Adelaide Power?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Yes

4. Ideally yes but I'm not delusional and respect that Collingwood has Black & White

5. In a perfect world, yes I would prefer we were the Port Adelaide Magpies in the AFL but as above I'm not delusional and fully respect that Collingwood are the Magpies in the AFL and always will be.

I grew up in the 90s following Port and love the prison bar black and white guernsey so would be rapt to see the AFL team wear it once per year for our nominated heritage game.

You mean, we want to play in front of our own members for our home game? Gee what a novel concept. fmd
Finals have always been at league determined venues.

It is home state finals since more non-vic teams have come in.

Even in VFL days, everyone understood amd accepted that finals were played at the G or Waverley.

It has been that way for 125+ years, but now Geelong think they deserve "home" finals. * me

If it aint white its dark. Sydney is probably the only confusing one.

Richmond is unlucky, their clash kit works but they are victims of the fact that in spite of having a good clash kit we still seem to have clashes every other week.

Every has their home kit and then a predominantly white one. Again this isnt the only solution, its just the easiest and until the AFL works their s**t out i wont be convinced their is a better way.
We just dont need to adopt the white wash solution.

We just need to ensure that clubs have an alternate kit, it doesnt need to be white.

Richmond - go with all yellow
Suns - go with royal blue
Essendon - all red
Eagles - go with yellow
Adelaide - could go red, yellow or white
Saints - could go red or white
Melbourne - could go red or white
Port - should be silver with teal in PB design
Hawks - have a gold dominant strip

We just dont need to adopt the white wash solution.

We just need to ensure that clubs have an alternate kit, it doesnt need to be white.

Richmond - go with all yellow
Suns - go with royal blue
Essendon - all red
Eagles - go with yellow
Adelaide - could go red, yellow or white
Saints - could go red or white
Melbourne - could go red or white
Port - should be silver with teal in PB design
Hawks - have a gold dominant strip
I’ll say it again

This isnt the only solution, its just the easiest and until the AFL works their s**t out i wont be convinced their is a better way.

Your members are capable of travelling to the MCG. Playing a final at a small regional stadium and locking out 60k fans (fans of both clubs plus neutrals) is ridiculous and thankfully won't happen.

It is home state finals since more non-vic teams have come in.

Even in VFL days, everyone understood amd accepted that finals were played at the G or Waverley.

It has been that way for 125+ years, but now Geelong think they deserve "home" finals. * me
Anyone that seriously thinks it’s unreasonable that GEELONG supporters would prefer their HOME finals are played in GEELONG, especially when playing a Victorian team has rocks in their heads. The fact it won’t happen doesn’t change that they would want it.

What a terrible example. Counting East Germany/West Germany would be like counting Brisbane/Fitzroy - two teams that were competing at the top level. Not one team playing for a short time at the top level and a long time at suburban level. What Port are doing is like if Australia counted Olympic medals and Commonwealth Games medals and called them all Olympic medals.

The Commonwealth games has always been a low level completion that very few other countries care about or see as anything more than a glorified club meet that is becoming more irrelevant as time goes on. Similar to the SANFL in the Football world.

If Port Adelaide can count a suburban league Premiership as an AFL premiership - I'm counting my under 10 c grade basketball trophy as a Norm Smith medal.

I've missed something along the way here. Are Port claiming to have won 3 AFL premierships? 1998, 1999, 2004?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back when one team played home games at the G. So 1/12 had a home advantage in finals.

Yes and 125 years later, 14/18 clubs happen to play their home games at the same venue they get home finals at. From less than 10% in the 60s to 75%.

Whether you like it or not, finals aren’t neutral anymore. They are just as much H+A as the regular season.

Anyone that seriously thinks it’s unreasonable that GEELONG supporters would prefer their HOME finals are played in GEELONG, especially when playing a Victorian team has rocks in their heads. The fact it won’t happen doesn’t change that they would want it.
Great point, thank you. We want 11 home games and finals. Its a joke that clubs can sell home games to tassie, ballarat, darwin etc and still get their other home games where they please whilst we get told we should be considered lucky to go from 7 (which it was before 2017) to 9 home games at home.

What a terrible example. Counting East Germany/West Germany would be like counting Brisbane/Fitzroy - two teams that were competing at the top level. Not one team playing for a short time at the top level and a long time at suburban level. What Port are doing is like if Australia counted Olympic medals and Commonwealth Games medals and called them all Olympic medals.

The Commonwealth games has always been a low level completion that very few other countries care about or see as anything more than a glorified club meet that is becoming more irrelevant as time goes on. Similar to the SANFL in the Football world.

If Port Adelaide can count a suburban league Premiership as an AFL premiership - I'm counting my under 10 c grade basketball trophy as a Norm Smith medal.
I think most people realise that the SANFL was a pretty equivalent league to the VFL until around the late 80s (from memory an SA team beat the Vic team in like 92? and was still pretty competitive even until the late 90s when their was a national league anyway).

I dont think its unreasonable to count SANFL flags as the equivalent to VFL flags until that time. Would Port have won them pre 1990 against the Vic teams that wont the VFL flags, probably not but they also might have.

More importantly i dont think anyone is saying that Port has 35 or whatever AFL premierships, if someone is that is an equally silly argument. Consider for a second if the VFL in 1990 went "what well do is keep the vic teams and their history and bring in East Fremantle, Perth, Port and Glenelg to join the comp" then you would have to assume that the VFL, SANFL and WAFL teams would have all retained their heritage and premierships.

As it stands Port is completely unique as the only team to enter the competition after the AFL established itself as a pre existing team in a state league.

I think that uniqueness is really what sets the argument about them apart. When they say the prison bars matters their not making something up to suit an argument, when they say they are proud of their 35 SANFL flags it rings true.

I get the whole they made a new identity and should embrace it, i really do but at the same time, one game a year to wear the jumper they cherish as much as any Collingwood supporter does the black and white, played in SA really doesnt seem like a tough ask to me.

I've missed something along the way here. Are Port claiming to have won 3 AFL premierships? 1998, 1999, 2004?
In was in response to a Port poster saying Port are the most successful club because they have won 36 Premierships. 1998 and 1999 was their reserves side in the SANFL. It would be the equivalent of Melbourne claiming that they have won 14 Premierships because they won the 2000 reserves premiership.

I think most people realise that the SANFL was a pretty equivalent league to the VFL until around the late 80s (from memory an SA team beat the Vic team in like 92? and was still pretty competitive even until the late 90s when their was a national league anyway).

I dont think its unreasonable to count SANFL flags as the equivalent to VFL flags until that time. Would Port have won them pre 1990 against the Vic teams that wont the VFL flags, probably not but they also might have.

More importantly i dont think anyone is saying that Port has 35 or whatever AFL premierships, if someone is that is an equally silly argument. Consider for a second if the VFL in 1990 went "what well do is keep the vic teams and their history and bring in East Fremantle, Perth, Port and Glenelg to join the comp" then you would have to assume that the VFL, SANFL and WAFL teams would have all retained their heritage and premierships.

As it stands Port is completely unique as the only team to enter the competition after the AFL established itself as a pre existing team in a state league.

I think that uniqueness is really what sets the argument about them apart. When they say the prison bars matters their not making something up to suit an argument, when they say they are proud of their 35 SANFL flags it rings true.

I get the whole they made a new identity and should embrace it, i really do but at the same time, one game a year to wear the jumper they cherish as much as any Collingwood supporter does the black and white, played in SA really doesnt seem like a tough ask to me.
That is in no way close to being true.

In was in response to a Port poster saying Port are the most successful club because they have won 36 Premierships. 1998 and 1999 was their reserves side in the SANFL. It would be the equivalent of Melbourne claiming that they have won 14 Premierships because they won the 2000 reserves premiership.

The whole reason they had to set up Port Adelaide Magpies post AFL entry was because they weren't allowed to treat their SANFL team like their AFL reserves side. If it was up to Port, they wouldn't have had a team in the SANFL at the time, but the SANFL pleaded with them to participate. Their AFL listed players were drafted to other SANFL clubs, and the SANFL side weren't allowed to train at Alberton either. Personnel who worked with the SANFL team weren't allowed to work with the AFL and vice-versa, even though they were all Port Adelaide. It was a forced split of Port Adelaide FC!

If they havent ive been properly Mandela effected here, would put my house on that they have.
Im sure they have, I just cant remember them.
I vaguely remember an all black sock with a thin white stripe? Could be imagining that too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back