Women's Footy Crows AFLW Season 2022 The 2nd - Defending Our Flag for Back to Back Glory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide

Caputo

All Australian
Dec 5, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
I have 3 alternatives
1. Kardinia Park - Geelong always whinge about no finals down there.
2. Hobart but Gil wants the stadium built first
3. Port's traditional home - Shanghai

I wonder if it's due to the historical amateurism of the sport.
And the players bodies not being ready for the workload being put upon them.

I havn't seen many injuries in SANFLw/AdFLw. (Though, Chloe Sheer's younger sister did a bad injury late in 2021 which I witnessed :( - And to top it off, was like 2 minutes befre the game ended in a blowout win)

And I also wonder if the shortened off-season is having a major impact on players this year. Cause it feels more common right now than previous years.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
And I also wonder if the shortened off-season is having a major impact on players this year. Cause it feels more common right now than previous years.

I don't know. There seems to be a glut of ACLs in the AFLW preseason each year. I think the Crows had two a couple of years back. There are also an extra 120 players in the system now compared to previous years.

I don't know. There seems to be a glut of ACLs in the AFLW preseason each year. I think the Crows had two a couple of years back. There are also an extra 120 players in the system now compared to previous years.
Do they strap the girls knees? Do they have a similar recovery/physio approach to the guys?

I believe so, but of course the girls are part time so they're not there as often and they are likely not at the same physical standards as the men currently are.
I honestly feel that's the main issue.
These girls havn't had a pathway historically, so basically went from amateur to semi-proffessional over night.
Players who hadnt played for years due to the gap in junior footy for teenage years under aged footy so not being as fluid/natural with their movement as the men had over 10+ years of constant development

But now that the game (womens) has exploded, I feel we're starting to normalise as the current aflw players have had enough time in the system to adapt, and players who are being drafted, had that continuous learning phase of what to do in game with their body movements.

But I'm no expert, and just making assumptions.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
Anecdotal I know, but a trainer at my old gym was playing women's footy in the EDFL women's and she was pretty disparaging of both AFLW/VFWL and her own league's fitness regimes - she said if anything she is surprised there weren't more injuries

Can't say I would know any better at all or if she just thought she would do better but it was interesting

Truck25

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazers
So just heard we had a trial game against the power today, we rested top players like Eb and Hatchy, they pretty much went full strength and I was told "we smoked 'em" Lol. Don't know too many details but Waterhouse kicked 3, could be the steal of the draft period :)

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
So just heard we had a trial game against the power today, we rested top players like Eb and Hatchy, they pretty much went full strength and I was told "we smoked 'em" Lol. Don't know too many details but Waterhouse kicked 3, could be the steal of the draft period :)
Ponter also played midfield and by all reports was excellent. Martin also she played mid and up forward and snapped a goal from 35m so good signs ahead.

Supposedly the 2nd quarter where Port kicked a few goals but we adjusted and the defence held strong after that 👍

Firewalker

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Apr 20, 2009
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Richmond knocks off Fremantle 71-8 in their practice match - what the hell? Wouldn't have thought Richmond was in Freo's league, let alone a result like that. Did Freo rest half their side?
Freo have holes a plenty in their team this year, missing some players that have been pretty important over in the last few years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back