List Mgmt. 2022 GWS GIANTS List Management (Trade/ Free Agency/ Draft/ Academy)

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Excuse the intrusion - I just saw Jarrod Brander has been packed up for the year with a hammy…I’m assuming he’ll get another year? Or could it be ‘coach dependent’?

His season for your mob seemed basically in line with his time at WCE. 🫤

Cheers!

Maximus 2011

All Australian
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Excuse the intrusion - I just saw Jarrod Brander has been packed up for the year with a hammy…I’m assuming he’ll get another year? Or could it be ‘coach dependent’?

Cheers!
I think all list decisions based on who the next coach is and is they bring in (hopefully they do) a whole new team including recruiters. For some reason the Giants seemed hell bent on the idea of playing Brander on wing. To me he isn't at the level. If I was in charge I wouldn't be giving him another contract

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Without having watched him closely at WCE, but based on reports, Eagles supporters' comments, and my impression of his time there - yes, absolutely, same performance, same flaws.

I just saw Jarrod Brander has been packed up for the year with a hammy…I’m assuming he’ll get another year? Or could it be ‘coach dependent’?
No idea.

As Maximus said above (he responded while I was typing), if I was making the decision, he'd be gone. Just not first grade material as either KPF or wing IMHO.

Maximus 2011

All Australian
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Without having watched him closely at WCE, but based on reports, Eagles supporters' comments, and my impression of his time there - yes, absolutely, same performance, same flaws.

No idea.

As Maximus said above (he responded while I was typing), if I was making the decision, he'd be gone. Just not first grade material as either KPF or wing IMHO.
Yeah in saying that, if we are able to put him on a rookie contract then maybe that could work as the bigger bodies are probably needed in the reserves over the next couple of years if we are to have a bit of a clean out.

Cheers!
Very coach dependant I'd think

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS

No idea.

Guys that should be gone:

O’Halloran - has no brain
Brander - has no weapons
De Boer - concussion issues and game has gone past him
Riccardi - positionally dumb

Guys that probably leave:
Taranto - Richmond
Hopper - Geelong
Hill - Collingwood
Bruhn - ?
Flynn - ?

With all that potential movement we should see if Phil could play again, hammy’s and back look shot but we are going to be very young.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Guys that should be gone:

O’Halloran - has no brain
Brander - has no weapons
De Boer - concussion issues and game has gone past him
Riccardi - positionally dumb

Guys that probably leave:
Taranto - Richmond
Hopper - Geelong
Hill - Collingwood
Bruhn - ?
Flynn - ?

With all that potential movement we should see if Phil could play again, hammy’s and back look shot but we are going to be very young.
If Clarko comes in we could sign mature players.

Brave New World

Team Captain
Oct 31, 2009
AFL Club
GWS
Latest AFL rumours - Sporting News

Port Adelaide shows interest in SA-product Grundy

Thursday August 4

The Power have emerged as a potential option for South Australian and Collingwood player Brodie Grundy, if the Pies and him were to part ways at season's end.

“Port Adelaide is interested in where Grundy is going to end up and his trade status at the end of the year,” reporter Tom Browne told 7 News Melbourne.

Port Adelaide is interested where Grundy is going to end up.

But at this stage believe the star ruckman won’t leave Victoria.

Collingwood confirming his ankle niggle today. https://t.co/Vh3NZDbRLo

— Tom Browne (@TomBrowne7) August 3, 2022

Fremantle keeping tabs on Crow Himmelberg

Thursday August 4

Fremantle have identified the need for another key forward, especially if Rory Lobb leaves at the end of the season.

Adelaide's Elliot Himmelberg has risen a few eyebrows at the Dockers and could help assist in their needs going forward.

“Fremantle are putting together its list of how they overcome the issues of what they’ve got in attack, or don’t have in attack,” veteran journalist Michelangelo Rucci told SEN SA’s The Run Home.

“He is growing with interest at Fremantle.”
END

I feel Grundy would be backward step for the Giants. However, would Elliot Himmelberg be a good recruit, especially as his brother is obviously already settled at the Giants long-term?

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Latest AFL rumours - Sporting News

Port Adelaide shows interest in SA-product Grundy

Thursday August 4

The Power have emerged as a potential option for South Australian and Collingwood player Brodie Grundy, if the Pies and him were to part ways at season's end.

“Port Adelaide is interested in where Grundy is going to end up and his trade status at the end of the year,” reporter Tom Browne told 7 News Melbourne.

Port Adelaide is interested where Grundy is going to end up.

But at this stage believe the star ruckman won’t leave Victoria.

Collingwood confirming his ankle niggle today. https://t.co/Vh3NZDbRLo

— Tom Browne (@TomBrowne7) August 3, 2022

Fremantle keeping tabs on Crow Himmelberg

Thursday August 4

Fremantle have identified the need for another key forward, especially if Rory Lobb leaves at the end of the season.

Adelaide's Elliot Himmelberg has risen a few eyebrows at the Dockers and could help assist in their needs going forward.

“Fremantle are putting together its list of how they overcome the issues of what they’ve got in attack, or don’t have in attack,” veteran journalist Michelangelo Rucci told SEN SA’s The Run Home.

“He is growing with interest at Fremantle.”
END

I feel Grundy would be backward step for the Giants. However, would Elliot Himmelberg be a good recruit, especially as his brother is obviously already settled at the Giants long-term?
Please save us Port

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Please save us Port
I whinged and moaned more about GWS not taking Grundy then any other supporter in the history of the club!

Not taking him with 5 picks was one of the most monumentally stupid and arrogant calls ever made.

That said this was a decade ago, now his body is badly banged up and he is showing the signs that he is in decline.

I love him as a player, he’s one of the best tap ruckman and has agility, power and endurance but this ship has sailed. We don’t need to be taking on these types of players on big contracts with large tenure.

Take the Academy kid and if necessary cherry pick a cheaper ready made option elsewhere or if you are going to make a big play the guy to offer the deal to is Draper.

The team isn’t good enough to challenge for a flag for a couple of years so just build the next house on solid foundation rather then sand.

Last edited:

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
I whinged and moaned more about GWS not taking Grundy then any other supporter in the history of the club!

Not taking him with 5 picks was one of the most monumentally stupid and arrogant calls ever made.

That said this was a decade ago, now his body is badly banged up and he is showing the signs that he is in decline.

I love him as a player, he’s one of the best tap ruckman and has agility, power and endurance but this ship has sailed. We don’t need to be taking on these types of players on big contracts with large tenure.

Take the Academy kid and if necessary cherry pick a cheaper ready made option elsewhere or if you are going to make a big play the guy to offer the deal to is Draper.

The team isn’t good enough to challenge for a flag for a couple of years so just build the next house on solid foundation rather then sand.
Who’s the academy kid?

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
With so many young kids, surely the play is to try and trade at least in part player for player rather than a unhealthy inundation of draft picks spread over 2022/2023. 1-2 high end draft picks a year is sufficient, we need some up and coming players from other teams on the cusp of breaking out and looking for opportunities.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Plenty of clubs will line up to help Brissy (and themselves) out.
Did you hear Twomey the other day, he said he would be “gobsmacked” if North Melbourne got a priority pick inside the first 5. Thinks it would be mid first round or package of picks and rights to help them. Good news for us if correct.

If they got 2 early picks they would be a real chance of taking a tall with one but if not it’s really only the threat of West Coast.

Off course this is assuming Caruso doesn’t take another mid that wants to go home instead LOL.

Thinking we take Rowston and Madden via Academy and a key tall (Cadman/Busslinger) given our current hand??

In a hypothetical scenario Cadman then another pick before Academy bid (maybe Braydon George with the likely Taranto pick) Rowston and Madden. You bring in your key forward, sharp small goalkicker, classy accumulating mid and your development ruckman.

Interested what you, PM and others think?

Last edited:
If Lions need points this year might be an opportunity for us to flip one of our firsts into a first next year plus some other stuff from Brisbane
The value for points come from getting multiple later picks for one early pick. It's more likely you'll see Brisbane trading back for surplus picks than bringing in first round picks this year.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Did you hear Twomey the other day, he said he would be “gobsmacked” if North Melbourne got a priority pick inside the first 5. Thinks it would be mid first round or package of picks and rights to help them. Good news for us if correct.

If they got 2 early picks they would be a real chance of taking a tall with one but if not it’s really only the threat of West Coast.

I had not heard that specifically from Twomey, but I am certainly hoping that's the case. I reckon #11 - after all the non-finalists - is a balanced result. If they did get a PP at #2, good chance they would take both Sheezel & Cadman, who would be the two targets I would be aiming at.

Thinking we take Rowston and Madden via Academy and a key tall (Cadman/Busslinger) given our current hand??

In a hypothetical scenario Cadman then another pick before Academy bid (maybe Braydon George with the likely Taranto pick) Rowston and Madden. You bring in your key forward, sharp small goalkicker, classy accumulating mid and your development ruckman.

I am presuming that we're going to lose a few players this off-season, and our strategy is going to be dependent on the (types of) players we lose and the picks we receive. Specifically, if we lose someone who can get us a mid-first round pick, then we aren't in such a "must win" scenario on the early pick.

IMHO, Sheezel is the player with the best footy IQ in this draft, and hence I'd love to get him. We desperately need another small/medium, and he can do that from round 1 2023, plus can perform in bursts through the midfield. The two issues with him, though, are (1) North might take him anyway (e.g. #1 - bid Ashcroft, #2 - Sheezel) and (2) he does appear to be a flight risk and therefore do we play it safe?

My ideal outcome would be trading Taranto or Hopper to Richmond for their pick around #10. That presumes one of them wanting to leave, Richmond wanting them, and being prepared to pay. The other potential curveball would be if Dusty Martin got traded to Swans and they got their pick in the teens, which I'm sure they'd try to use instead of the earlier one. Of course, if Hopper goes to Geelong instead and Taranto stays, then a pick around #18 is not as useful.

So, if we had #3 & around #10, my ideal would be Sheezel then a KPF - probably Cadman would be gone by then so Jefferson the one to take. The alternative, of Sheezel is gone or deemed a flight risk, would be to take Cadman early. In that case, I'd look for either Brayden George as a medium forward, or Ollie Hollands as an inside/outside midfielder who works both ways (i.e. replacing Taranto/Hopper, but a better list balance). There will be small or medium forwards in the early 20s, such as Jacob Konstanty or Charlie Clarke. If we lose several inside mids (TT or Hopper plus Bruhn & possibly Ward retiring), then I'd definitely look to replace with a serviceable later pick - which could be Harry Rowston who can play both inside and be serviceable forward.

Personally, I wouldn't take Madden as ruck. The benefit of taking him would be getting him as a Cat B rookie. But I don't think he's a great ruck - he relies on being big at a young age in U18s, but he doesn't IMHO have very good mobility and I can't see him as an AFL ruck. I'd like to look at someone such as Will Verrall from SA, who is more mobile, and would likely be available with a late pick. Two options we could take in the rookie draft would be Luke Lawrence - inside mid, who was our likely top academy kid until Rowston pushed through - or Ethan Grace from our U19 post-academy group.

Cadman - Hollands - Konstanty appeals because they're all Vic Country kids, and hopefully less likely to go home after the first contract. And they will fill needs - KPF, balanced mid & small forward.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW

Off course this is assuming Caruso doesn’t take another mid that wants to go home instead LOL.

If Taranto's ball use frustrates you, you won't want Rowston.

But it'll all depend on where the picks end up landing, I wouldn't mind of we tried a Bersbane strategy and take a couple of players from the same club to try and ward off any go home worries, so Bailey Humphrey (Inside Mid/ Forward) and Jacob Konstanty (Small forward) in the mid first - early second range would fit that, as well as address list needs woth the expected out goings. Similarly Mitch Szybkowski (Inside Mid) and Henry Hustwaite (Inside Mid/ Tall Defender) as well as Oliver Hollands (Balanced Mid) and Brayden George (General Forward).

If our first remains Pick 3/4 I think it'll be out of Tsatas, Clark and Cadman (assuming Wardlaw and Sheezel go first), Tsatas would provide that line breaking speed through the midfield, Cadman would be that promising KPF that could probably play early on, Clark is similar to Bruhn though, but is the type we tend to draft. If we get other first rounders I'd hope we go with Cadman and address midfield later on, but if we get mostly future picks I reckon Tsatas is the one to go for there.

I think Rowston is the only one of our Academy lads that'll attract interest before Pick 50 personally, has a bit about him but as I started woth, I think the top emd of his potential is a Taranti sort of player if he's played mostly as a midfielder

Back