C'wealth Birmingham 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Geraint crashing basically guarantees Dennis winning the ITT. The course favoured Rohan in the first place and now with a crash and now a potential puncture meant that it's too far a bridge.
Do you think Rohan Dennis actually took the course a bit easier once he knew that Geraint Thomas had had a crash? Seemed to be working hard, but not as hard as early in his run. Quality ride by Dennis, nonetheless, to earn the gold. Thomas still getting bronze (almost Silver!) is impressive with a crash like that.

Do you think Rohan Dennis actually took the course a bit easier once he knew that Geraint Thomas had had a crash? Seemed to be working hard, but not as hard as early in his run. Quality ride by Dennis, nonetheless, to earn the gold. Thomas still getting bronze (almost Silver!) is impressive with a crash like that.
Probably. Save a bit in the tank for Caleb's lead out train on Sunday.

We've won 2 of the 4 road events and we have probably the second fastest man in the road race in Caleb Ewan, and probably the fastest woman too with Alex Manly.

Probably. Save a bit in the tank for Caleb's lead out train on Sunday.

We've won 2 of the 4 road events and we have probably the second fastest man in the road race in Caleb Ewan, and probably the fastest woman too with Alex Manly.
Caleb was far from his best at the TDF - hoping he can turn things around with the green and gold jersey on his back. By all reports very much a course for the sprinters.

Caleb was far from his best at the TDF - hoping he can turn things around with the green and gold jersey on his back. By all reports very much a course for the sprinters.
Yeah but Lotto basically didn't give him a lead out train at all apart from Reinhart Janse van Rensberg. Plapp, Scotson, Dennis and Durbridge will be a good train for him. But yeah, Cav will come in as favourite as Ben Swift is also a very strong lead out rider.

I'd be expecting a podium between the pair and Janse van Rensberg

Nice to see Michelle Jenneke having a good run there and proving her huge PB from the Eugene WC was not dodgy.

The 'dancing hurdler' or 'jiggling Jenneke' has been seen by some (including me at times) as a bit of a novelty rather than an elite athlete so, after her recent injury-affected years) it is great to see her achieving her potential.

A shame Liz Clay's injury means she won't join her in the final, but there will be two Aussies with Celeste Mucci squeaking in too.

Haven't posted much the last few days but have been watching at night as I have been working and had the box on in the background and have seen some great stuff. Will link some good swimming articles and a bit more athletics later but got say Matt Denny was brilliant last night.

His set of throws last night was sensational
65.2666.61 2nd longest66.72 new 2nd longest65.83 8th longest67.24 a PB67.26 a PB

In Tokyo on a big stage last year he produced 4 PB's. This was his series of throws
65.76 a PB​
65.53 2nd longest​
65.94 a PB​
65.00​
66.06 a PB​
67.02 a PB​

And this was his series in Eugene 2 weeks ago
61.55​
65.50​
66.29 2nd longest​
65.56​
65.49​
66.47 new 2nd longest​

And he is a good laugh as well. He said he lost the Bronze in Tokyo by the width of a beer can to finish 4th. Top 3 threw 68.90, 67.39 and 67.07. At Eugene he was 6th, and bronze medallist threw 67.55.

So his 2 Olympics he was 19th in 2016 when he was 20 and 4th in Tokyo. 2 World Champs 6th and 6th and 2 Comm Games silver and gold.

I was silly enough to wake up at 5am and watch the aths this morning and his interviews were a good laugh only get a short clip of the one with Richo.

And Brandon Starc likes to join in the fun with his mate - and regular roomate on the circuit.

That Zambia 400m runner Samukonga has balls of steel
But not a lot of brains. If he paces himself in the first 200m, in the final he could really storm home.

Geez the diving team has some absolute stunners in Brittany O'Brien and Georgia Sheehan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Over the years I have been a big fan of Patty Welsh in the mix zone at 7's athletics coverage be it Olympics or World Champs. Can't remember if he was at the Gold Coast Comm Games 4 years ago.

A good mix of intelligent questions, the odd hard ones and ability to relate to the athlete and celebrate their performance when needed and ask about the disappointing ones and not sugar coat it. And he was good with the international athletes including the big world stars and not trying to ask the usual - and what about the Aussie in the race?

I'm not the biggest fan of Jason Richo Richardson at other sports 7 cover - notably the Winter Olympics and horse racing, but his athletics interviews are good mix of knowledge and fun. Being an ex pro runner, he won the Stawell Gift in 1993, athletics is his sport, so he's not trying to cover his lack of knowledge with goofy stuff like at the Winter Olympic sports. Here are a few from last night and some videos of performances. I wish 7 put up his full interview with Matt Denny after he won the Discus the previous night - it was a hoot.

Cedric Dubler had a poor Javelin and 1500m and went from a close second behind Lindon Victor after 8 events to a distant 3rd. But Daniel Golubovic had a solid Javelin and great 1500m and went from a distant 3rd to almost stealing the gold as Victor struggled to run the last 100m as you can see in the video below the points graphic. I f my calculations are correct, Victor only had 5 seconds to spare.

1659756614147.png

Not really into netball but am cheering on Team Jamaica.

Their Goal Shooter reminds me of that huge Chinese basketball player back in the day ('Baby Huey'?) where the team's only job was to get the ball into her hands to ensure a scoring point.

Australia with good chances of gold in three of those finals.

• Women's High Jump (Eleanor Patterson)
  • Women's Walk (Jemima Montag)
  • Men's 1500m (Olli Hoare)

Nice not to have to wake up at 4am to see an athletics final.

I keep talking to myself in here - hoping a page 10 will soon arrive - as those dozen social/video links in Russ's post make my laptop freeze/meltdown every time this page refreshes..

Sorry ;)

"The Indian athlete would be used to warm conditions" (Tamsyn Manou quote)

Ummm Tamsyn, the other two athletes in that lead bunch are from Kenya & Australia..

Besides having about 50 piercings (and that just the ones we can see) Ghanaian high jumper looks to have a nicotine patch applied to her arm ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back