Current Trial Wonnangatta - Russell Hill & Carol Clay vanish *Pilot Greg Lynn charged with murder

Did Greg Lynn tell police where he buried the bodies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
This case has gone so quiet nothing's leaking out at all, I'm getting suspicious!
I'm wondering why the police need the trailer when they have already found the remains.That would only make sense if there is insufficient evidence to link those remains to GL, but that hardly seems to be the case here and it appears as though the remains were found as a result of looking at GL's Navman history or via a confession. The fact that police are still searching for the trailer possibly indicates that GL is going for a not guilty plea and police want to make this case as water tight as possible.

I'm wondering why the police need the trailer when they have already found the remains.That would only make sense if there is insufficient evidence to link those remains to GL, but that hardly seems to be the case here and it appears as though the remains were found as a result of looking at GL's Navman history or via a confession. The fact that police are still searching for the trailer possibly indicates that GL is going for a not guilty plea and police want to make this case as water tight as possible.
Could you imagine the fallout if VicPol stuff this up?

Could you imagine the fallout if VicPol stuff this up?
Vicpol might have their critics but they have done a good job with this case thus far. It's hard to see how GL could avoid a life sentence with evidence that pointed to a tiny path of dirt in the middle of nowhere that held the remains of RH and CC. Possibly the lack of a motive, the professional occupation and prior clean record of GL are areas of concern for the prosecution. GL might claim it's all circumstantial evidence and he just happened to visit the areas in question by chance. We do know that he tried to go to fair work to fight his job dismissal and he has now delayed his court date to review the case evidence. We can probably join the dots that GL will plead guilty if the police case is iron clad, but will run with not guilty if he thinks there is a small chance he can prove sufficient doubt to a jury. In a criminal trial the jury use "reasonable doubt" to determine a verdict and IMO there must be more than reasonable doubt for a conviction, unless the police have stuffed this up by gaining evidence that is inadmissable. As you alluded, if this was the case there would be hell to pay.

That would only make sense if there is insufficient evidence to link those remains to GL, but that hardly seems to be the case here and it appears as though the remains were found as a result of looking at GL's Navman history or via a confession. The fact that police are still searching for the trailer possibly indicates that GL is going for a not guilty plea and police want to make this case as water tight as possible.

Having recently travelled up to the Gulf region in northern Queensland, I turned tracking on with the basic Google Maps app and looking at it now, it pegged us at every pause, times it and details the premises. Where we stopped to change a tyre on a dirt track, it lists how long we stopped for but asking me to fill information in.

I can only imagine what law enforcement and intelligence agencies can access.

I've often wondered why Lynn would actually sell the trailer if it was used in the murder, when he knows it could be tracked down later by police and used forensically against him. Most likely he put the add in Gumtree to create an alibi for it's banishment and then disposed of it in the bush somewhere. He might well have created a second alias account in Gumtree and sold it to himself before ditching it in the bush.

dumping would have left a risk of it being found.
it was more likely reduced to an unidentifiable pile of scrap metal, weighed in, smelted, gone forever.

dumping would have left a risk of it being found.
it was more likely reduced to an unidentifiable pile of scrap metal, weighed in, smelted, gone forever.
I was thinking somewhere out in the scrub, covered in kero and then set alight to ensure all evidence is destroyed.

Having recently travelled up to the Gulf region in northern Queensland, I turned tracking on with the basic Google Maps app and looking at it now, it pegged us at every pause, times it and details the premises. Where we stopped to change a tyre on a dirt track, it lists how long we stopped for but asking me to fill information in.

From the US

DHS bought “shocking amount” of warrantless phone-tracking data, ACLU says [Updated]

For years, people have wondered not if, but how much, the Department of Homeland Security accesses mobile location data to monitor US citizens. This week, the American Civil Liberties Union released thousands of heavily redacted pages of documents that provide a "glimpse" of how DHS agencies came to leverage "a shocking amount" of location data, apparently purchasing data without following proper protocols to ensure they had the authority to do so.

As explained on the podcast I first heard this the idea was originally to identify multiple phones so specific warrants are useless

IE a policeman is shot and they wish to identify all phones in a time window.

From Australia

Australia’s electronic surveillance laws are being reformed with a goal of making them “clearer, more coherent and better adapted to the modern world”.

However, there is one significant set of powers beyond the scope of the reforms: the Australian Border Force’s (ABF) broad powers to search personal digital devices and copy electronic information without a warrant.

If you were up to no good why would you take your phone these days. If they can nail Lynn at the murder site &/or the burial site ..... it'd be all over by now. Its not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you were up to no good why would you take your phone these days. If they can nail Lynn at the murder site &/or the burial site ..... it'd be all over by now. Its not.

You're suggesting the murders were premeditated? That might be the only way Lyn would have left any devices at home capable of pinning his movements.

The bodies have been found and he's been charged, all that's left is for Lyn to see the brief and make a decision of whether to fight at trial or try to make some kind of deal.

You're suggesting the murders were premeditated? That might be the only way Lyn would have left any devices at home capable of pinning his movements.

The bodies have been found and he's been charged, all that's left is for Lyn to see the brief and make a decision of whether to fight at trial or try to make some kind of deal.

I was replying to your post & your Cape York experience.
I understand what you are saying though I did not mean to suggest the murder was premeditated.

If the case is as straightforward as some here would have us believe, the day in court would not continue to be delayed.

Plenty of new housing developments out the back of Caroline Springs.....the trailer wouldn't look out of place being dumped with everyone else's old couches/fridge/mattress etc and ended up buried at the cost of the developer or taken by someone never to be thought about again.

I was replying to your post & your Cape York experience.
I understand what you are saying though I did not mean to suggest the murder was premeditated.

If the case is as straightforward as some here would have us believe, the day in court would not continue to be delayed.
Murder cases especially those with a lot of forensic and digital evidence are never straightforward so delays are not surprising especially during the COVID pandemic. I'm not sure that many people here are suggesting it's straight forward either? That's why we have seen so many theories as to what might have happened. We do know that Lynn's defense lawyer said he was surprised by the amount of evidence in the prosecution's brief. So with that in mind and especially during the pandemic we should expect delays IMO.

Interesting to read James Hachem has been found guilty by a Jury for killing his on/off girlfriend Samah Baker. All circumstantial evidence from what I can see although I haven't read the evidence brief. No body has ever been found. He was caught lying on multiple occasions and was the last person to see or be with her. I would think Police have more evidence on Lynn than this guy and they also have the remains. Interestingly his phone was tracked and they still couldn't locate her body.

Surely by now any evidence that is going to be used in the case has been submitted and analysed by both sides.

I see the main problem being that it is only really Lynn who knows what actually happened. I notice that it has gone quiet in the media on this one - probably a deliberate tactic so GL legal representation cannot go for an unfair trial due to media speculation on his past.

Read on another site a family member of one of the deceased saying that GL hasn't denied all involvement, and that the police and the family members know how they were murdered, and what he did with their bodies afterwards, (and said, that's if he was telling the truth). If that's all true I reckon he'll probably be angling to make some kind of a deal. If he wanted to take it all the way to trial, he'd be denying all involvement, surely. Unless he's gonna try and suggest an accomplice?

Read on another site a family member of one of the deceased saying that GL hasn't denied all involvement, and that the police and the family members know how they were murdered, and what he did with their bodies afterwards, (and said, that's if he was telling the truth). If that's all true I reckon he'll probably be angling to make some kind of a deal. If he wanted to take it all the way to trial, he'd be denying all involvement, surely. Unless he's gonna try and suggest an accomplice?

He might try for manslaughter or some kind of provocation. Yeh nah, not sure that would work really.

Did this person give any hints as to how the two died?

Nah, she said something about not being allowed to say more. But did say the fire didn't fragment the bones. Also that the motive is still a big mystery.

Most theories seem to centre around an argument between GL & RH and GL subsequently killing RH and then CC to cover up the initial death.

I guess we will know GL's alleged version of events by this time next week.

Very quiet in the media on this one. Presumably so GL's lawyer can't go down the unfair trial route if the case goes to trial.

I'm not sure how these things work but can't GL's wife divorce him before the trial? I'm sure she would not want to see her assets drained defending GL who must surely be doing prison time no matter what the outcome is.

Most theories seem to centre around an argument between GL & RH and GL subsequently killing RH and then CC to cover up the initial death.

I guess we will know GL's alleged version of events by this time next week.

Very quiet in the media on this one. Presumably so GL's lawyer can't go down the unfair trial route if the case goes to trial.

I'm not sure how these things work but can't GL's wife divorce him before the trial? I'm sure she would not want to see her assets drained defending GL who must surely be doing prison time no matter what the outcome is.
Only 5 days to before the start of the trial which is on the 23rd. I wonder if we will find out what the argument was about? I'm going with the drone because that is missing and was being flown just before dark. The fact that the drone is missing suggests Lynn took it for fear of incrimination. Off course the argument could be about something else and Lynn still takes the drone because he doesn't want to be seen there at the time?

Back