NO TROLLS EDDIE BETTS, JOSH JENKINS & the Crow's Camp. A knife, a harness and the ‘power stance’: Eddie Betts reveals ‘cult-like’ training camp

andrewb

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
The AFL trying to cover something up then co-opting the AFLPA and the Crows into the cover up. Disgusting stuff.
Gill should be walked Monday along with Andrew Dillon.
Paul Marsh should be walked Monday
Every Crows board member who was on the board at this time should be walked Monday
In my experience as a bombers supporter failure seems to get you promotions in the AFL, providing you shut up and toe the company line.

sandeano

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Space
Jeez, as a Richmond supporter i now actually feel sorry for the Crows' players put through that. As Jenkins said, they lost a game of footy - it is far from the end of the world. If my team had have lost that day i would have been appalled if they had been sent to such a camp. But then again I would feel for the facilitator who thought it worthwhile to bring up Dusty's family history.

I jest, but Brandon Ellis spoke of his difficult upbringing with the player group and it was a wonderful thing that brought him and group closer together. To use a difficult upbringing as invective is despicable.

(And yes, I know that Bellis is now with the Suns, but that is due to skill and cap issues - I am 100% certain that no Tiger supporter wishes him ill-will).

Just another box to tick as to why there is a mental health crisis in this country.

Mar 21, 2006
On Deadly Ground
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Seagal, Hull, Hibs
Pretty much the AFL in a nutshell, plenty of carry on about leadership and wanting people to stand up.

Jenkins tries it on and the response is: "nah, nah, mate, we don't want that kind of leadership" before running him out of the place.

marshdogg

Senior List
Jun 1, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
How is Mark Riccuito still in a job? He is a dumb bogan ******* and an absolute disgrace for his involvment on this. I can't stand listening to the *head every time he opens his mouth on FoxFooty.

this is the sort of guy riccuito is:

1659706155057.png

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Pretty much the AFL in a nutshell, plenty of carry on about leadership and wanting people to stand up.

Jenkins tries it on and the response is: "nah, nah, mate, we don't want that kind of leadership" before running him out of the place.
It's funny isn't it.

Very fine line between leadership and whistleblower.

It's just so true, that the victor gets to write the history books.

Young Gun #6

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus, Suns
And surely that medical report was tabled at a board meeting? If it was and this was ignored, all board members must resign.

Yep was asked after the interview to Jenkins and he said all the management and board saw the medical report and isn’t sure but confident members of the current management have too.

The thing, I think that keeps making it worse is learning about just how many opportunities were given to the senior figureheads to stop what was happening before and during. And after how many opportunities they had to own up to their mistake and atone for the harm they had caused people within their care. That every step of the way these people decided to undermine those who spoke up, and cover up the evidence of their actions.

You can't just wave this away as "oh well, we had good intentions and it didn't work out." They knew what they were doing would not be viewed well by actual competent medical professionals, they knew that what they were doing was hurting people, they chose to do it anyway.

Oct 3, 2006
Gold Coast/Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Phillip Island Bulldogs/Lions AFLW
It's clear that the respect you say you held for Eddie was based around Eddie knowing his place and not making you feel uncomfortable.
The blame for the ongoing saga lies with your board and management level.

I wonder how long it will be until the campaigners who booed Goodes but held up Eddie as 'a good Aboriginal' because he didn't make them feel uncomfortable turn on him too? In a way it's probably lucky he's retired, will probably blunt some of the bile spewers as he's no longer front and centre on the tv each week.

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I wonder how long it will be until the campaigners who booed Goodes but held up Eddie as 'a good Aboriginal' because he didn't make them feel uncomfortable turn on him too? In a way it's probably lucky he's retired, will probably blunt some of the bile spewers as he's no longer front and centre on the tv each week.

Eddie would never be booed. Absolute pure human with such humility.

Think you’ll find all the footy fans will be dirty on the afl and Adelaide for this taking place.

It’s absolutely disgusting

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mar 21, 2006
On Deadly Ground
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Seagal, Hull, Hibs
I'm curious about the 'business decision' made by The Age to apologise and not defend their journos on this one.

Another weird, unexplained piece of this story.

Fairfax blown through the defamation budget too much in recent years?

Sep 23, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've been waiting for Josh to publish his revelations, it takes a lot of balls to stand up and not want your balls cupped. Also lol @ the counsellor who had to sit under a tree until the voices in his head stopped, what a sane and rational idea to send the boys on a Cthulhu worshipping death cult camp to improve their footy.

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
This is really poor from Eddie. He suffered through a few days of camp and so, thinks it's fair to make us Crows supporters (who had nothing to do with the camp) suffer through this for years - just so that he can make a profit!!! I have lost all respect for him.
Yeah, well maybe you should have held your club accountable back then.

Don't be crying now because the rug has been lifted.

janty

All Australian
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
How is Mark Riccuito still in a job? He is a dumb bogan ******* and an absolute disgrace for his involvment on this. I can't stand listening to the *head every time he opens his mouth on FoxFooty.

He has like an aneurysm and makes a derp noise before every sentence.

This is really poor from Eddie. He suffered through a few days of camp and so, thinks it's fair to make us Crows supporters (who had nothing to do with the camp) suffer through this for years - just so that he can make a profit!!! I have lost all respect for him.
No doubt you're one of the Facebook sycophants.

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
What do you think should happen? Should they be compensation involved? An apology? Admit that the book Eddie wrote is true and then what? It's obvious it'll never happen again and nor should it, anywhere, when can we and the players move on?
Compensation, apology and systemic change within the AFL and all clubs to remove predatory competitiveness. We have to protect these young kids, they will sell their spleen to get a game.

Outside of that, Safe Work SA needs to be disbanded and the entire workplace relations system needs to be overhauled. The counselors and coaching staff will need to be decertified and CM should be banned from operating.

Back