2022 Australia Cup Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Brave boys in hoods w*nking each other off. So many tough guys, anyone actually throw a punch, or just trying to scare them by running away? Douchebags.

Cloudy. Very high chance of rain. The chance of a thunderstorm. Heavy falls possible. Winds north to northwesterly 35 to 50 km/h. Rainfall 30 to 45 mm

Tmw night in Devonport sounds fun for the teams. Could be quite like the 2016 games. I think the pitch has improved a bit since then, but, then again, 30-45 mm is a lot for it to take.

Shame for the club. They were hoping for 3.5K for what is, the biggest game played on this island by a Tasmanian Club

Cloudy. Very high chance of rain. The chance of a thunderstorm. Heavy falls possible. Winds north to northwesterly 35 to 50 km/h. Rainfall 30 to 45 mm

Tmw night in Devonport sounds fun for the teams. Could be quite like the 2016 games. I think the pitch has improved a bit since then, but, then again, 30-45 mm is a lot for it to take.

Shame for the club. They were hoping for 3.5K for what is, the biggest game played on this island by a Tasmanian Club

The Phoenix obviously brought the Wellington wind and the rain with them to Tassie 😅

Newcastle could've grabbed an upset tonight, hit the upright a couple of times but went down 1-0 to City.

Should be a cracking finish to this round tomorrow. Then the Round of 16 draw straight after.

Australia Cup Round of 32 Week Three

FT Devonport City 0 V 4 Wellington Phoenix
FT Peninsula Power 4 V 1 Spirit FC
FT Sydney United 58 3 V 0 Monaro Panthers
FT Western United 2 V 1 Melbourne Victory

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round of 16 fixture.

FZPE5m6UsAAjYbT

times, dates and venues TBA

Fantastic to see the non-NSW Member clubs getting the job done. The NSW bias for the last 20 years has been sickening.

The number of Member clubs through to R16 per state, and the number of spots they were given:

VIC - 4/5 ✅
SA - 2/2 ✅
QLD - 2/4
NSW/ACT - 1/7 :tearsofjoy:
WA - 0/2
TAS - 0/1
NT - 0/1

If there's going to be a cupset, there's a good chance it will be this coming round of 16.

Fantastic to see the non-NSW Member clubs getting the job done. The NSW bias for the last 20 years has been sickening.

The number of Member clubs through to R16 per state, and the number of spots they were given:

VIC - 4/5 ✅
SA - 2/2 ✅
QLD - 2/4
NSW/ACT - 1/7 :tearsofjoy:
WA - 0/2
TAS - 0/1
NT - 0/1

If there's going to be a cupset, there's a good chance it will be this coming round of 16.
I'm curious, is there a coefficient type thing with this Cup? Like for continental club cups?
Because based on the past couple of seasons, Victoria should have like 10 NPL teams next season and NSW 3 😂

I'm curious, is there a coefficient type thing with this Cup? Like for continental club cups?
Because based on the past couple of seasons, Victoria should have like 10 NPL teams next season and NSW 3 😂

In typical NSW-run fashion, spots are handed out to quantity, not quality. Victoria and SA should easily have more spots.

The number of clubs representing each federation is determined by player registration numbers in each jurisdiction, and reviewed annually.

In typical NSW-run fashion, spots are handed out to quantity, not quality. Victoria and SA should easily have more spots.

The number of clubs representing each federation is determined by player registration numbers in each jurisdiction, and reviewed annually.
Damn, I vaguely remembered that criteria and hoped they had changed that when SA got another spot but I guess not 😒 I wonder whether I could work the coefficients out since the start of the FFA/Australia Cup for the non-A-League teams... Keep y'all posted.

Damn, I vaguely remembered that criteria and hoped they had changed that when SA got another spot but I guess not 😒 I wonder whether I could work the coefficients out since the start of the FFA/Australia Cup for the non-A-League teams... Keep y'all posted.
Okay I got bored. Keep in mind this is just the non-A-League clubs, as the A-League teams are counted as separate.
Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 10.34.57 pm.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 10.33.36 pm.png
SO, I worked this out very similarly to how UEFA calculate Association/League Club Coefficients, with a couple of modifications:

The season coefficient of an association is calculated by adding up the points obtained by all its clubs in a given season in the FFA/Australia Cup, then dividing the total by the number of clubs from that association that took part in the competition in question.

UEFA explained that "penalty shoot-outs do not count" in the calculation. My interpretation of this is that it would count as a draw, rather than a win so I made this adjustment in my working.

(My) points system is as follows:
2pts - All wins from Round of 32 onwards
1 – All draws from Round of 32 onwards
2 – Round of 16 bonus participation
1 – Each round clubs reach after the round of 16

My deductions:
  • 2021's FFA Cup was always going to come up fairly even, due to the 'intra-conference' matches.
  • ACT is still riding on Canberra Olympic's coattails when they made the semi-finals in 2016, but definitely do not deserve a second team just yet.
  • Victoria deserve a 5th team, especially after this Round of 32.
  • NNSW should have one of their two slots taken off of them with their form, if not WA.
  • Queensland is on the up with their 4 teams so probably should get another team soon.
  • In hindsight, I could have added a bonus 1 or 2pts for 'cupsets', but chose against it.
  • The cup is way too inconsistent for a coefficient system as of yet, or it gets adjusted every 5 seasons.

Might post this on twitter for a laff, see what Sokkah Twitter says.

Any questions?

Last edited:
Okay I got bored. Keep in mind this is just the non-A-League clubs, as the A-League teams are counted as separate.
View attachment 1467391
View attachment 1467392
SO, I worked this out very similarly to how UEFA calculate Association/League Club Coefficients, with a couple of modifications:

The season coefficient of an association is calculated by adding up the points obtained by all its clubs in a given season in the FFA/Australia Cup, then dividing the total by the number of clubs from that association that took part in the competition in question.

UEFA explained that "penalty shoot-outs do not count" in the calculation. My interpretation of this is that it would count as a draw, rather than a win so I made this adjustment in my working.

(My) points system is as follows:
2pts - All wins from Round of 32 onwards
1 – All draws from Round of 32 onwards
2 – Round of 16 bonus participation
1 – Each round clubs reach after the round of 16

My deductions:
  • 2021's FFA Cup was always going to come up fairly even, due to the 'intra-conference' matches.
  • ACT is still riding on Canberra Olympic's coattails when they made the semi-finals in 2016, but definitely do not deserve a second team just yet.
  • Victoria deserve a 5th team, especially after this Round of 32.
  • NNSW should have one of their two slots taken off of them with their form, if not WA.
  • Queensland is on the up with their 4 teams so probably should get another team soon.
  • In hindsight, I could have added a bonus 1 or 2pts for 'cupsets', but chose against it.
  • The cup is way too inconsistent for a coefficient system as of yet, or it gets adjusted every 5 seasons.

Might post this on twitter for a laff, see what Sokkah Twitter says.

Any questions?

That is excellent work! I love this stuff.

I'm still not sold of the quality of NSW and think they get a lot of points there through sheer weight of numbers (teams) in the 32. When there are so many NSW clubs gifted spots, they will inevitably match up against each other, so good odds a few NSW teams always progress regardless of their quality.

I'd try a system that counts results against Member clubs from another federation than their own. Add to that any win or draw against A-League clubs, as that definately counts for something, but a loss to them should be excluded (think of this as bonus points). Then divide by the number matches played. So it's not exactly how far you get in the comp, but the results you achieve against certain opposition.

E.g. I would count a win for a NSW club against a WA/VIC/NT/ACT/TAS/QLD/SA club, but a win against another NSW or NNSW wouldn't count (I lump all NSW together). I'm thinking more of a Federation vs Federation ladder. NPL results are probably a strong indicator of where the Federations lie, but COVID times have screwed some of the comps. Modbury have done very well from the third tier!

I'm happy for TAS/NT/ACT to have a gaurateed spot. I would take 1.5 spots from NSW/NNSW and 0.5 from WA, and add one spot each to SA and VIC, leaving a playoff between NSW/NNSW and WA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back